Bluebill spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bluebill spread

Postby Drake Taker » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:02 pm

I took the advice of some of the guys on this board and repainted 15 old mallard decoys as bluebills. I only painted drakes, will it matter that there is not any hens in the spread?

I plan on putting them out away from my puddlers.
Drake Taker
hunter

bluebills spread

Postby mccullough01 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:01 am

I've noticed that all drakes shows out more at a distance to the birds. If you go to pick up a down bird in the boat and look back at the shore the henss don't show up. I have beeen using all drake bluebills ans cans together for a couple years now. Those ducks are keying on the white os the drakes anyway. It's all personal preference, but on the big water the white amke a difference luring in the bid rafts.
mccullough01
Newb

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:11 am

I strongly agree. We have been using more drake decoys for that purpose alone. I have even painted up some seagulls as confindent/ eye catchers.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:55 pm

when it comes to divers..bluebills specifically, i think it is simply the stark black/white contrasted shape on the water that attracts them. the ones i do, i paint all the same.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:05 pm

drakes are better. i got some cheap dekes from walmart after season last year i painted them all into drake bluebills.i do have a few hens in my diver spread.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Layout » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:27 pm

Every diver decoy I have (120+) is painted all white with a black head. I have killed red heads, cans, buffies and just about every other duck in the spectrum over this spread. No hen blocks at all.

-Lots of white flashing = big time attractor.
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:19 pm

I run 3 to 1 drakes to hens I agree get the white out there. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:55 am

Layout - Have found that by the time they get to the inland southern part of the state they are spooked by white. Watched others with a lot of white get shunned while we would pull our share. Use a fairly light gray instead. Not sure why but after the change (15+ years ago) they responded three times as well. Also run around 2 to 1 dark hens since that's the make-up of the birds around me, at least if any show up anymore. Didn't see any last year on waters that they used to be thick with them and we try only to shoot males. Flight patterns have definetly changed and their numbers seem to be way down. Even have my 'eyes and buffies painted with a really, really light gray. They look and work well. Partner and I aren't sure if we're even going to try for them this year, unfortunate but that's the way it seems to be going. 10 dz decoys and no real use for them at present unless they start showing up again. Right or wrong? Just my observation of what's going on around me.
Cobra
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 pm

Cobra, I'm sorry to hear about the declining numbers of ducks. If it continues you could donate those 10 dozen decoys to an organization. I know that the "wa.duckhunter" organization would really appreciate the donation. :laughing: :salude:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:45 pm

To much sentimental value attached to them to get rid of them, some of them bounced around in Long Island Sound 25 years ago, ah memories. Have a strange feeling that we're at the bottom of a cycle and they'll be back in a few years. I hope.......... Appreciate the thought and option. :salude:
Cobra
hunter

Postby on duck call » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:48 pm

Yeah Cobra the broadbills are way down. I hunt north of new haven and theres more longtails than bluebills. I remember setting deks and the damn bluebills would land in the spread as I was setting up.
on duck call
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting