Dark House Spearing

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Dark House Spearing

Postby ducker44 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:25 am

Is it legal to dark house spear in AK? I am an avid dark house angler from MN and joined the Air Force and will be headed to Anchorage, AK in March. Just wondering if there is anyone who is into this sport?
ducker44
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:32 pm

I have no idea what your talking about. :huh:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:35 pm

Never heard of it either - Kind of curious to know?
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm intrigued as well. Did a Google search. Are you asking if it's legal to spear pike?

Here's an article I found http://www.darkhousespearingsupply.com/dueys.php

Sounds like it would be a kick in the pants to try. :biggrin: I just wouldn't want to accidentally fall in with a 4' fish :eek:

Erich
Erich_870
hunter

Postby ducker44 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:57 am

Dark house spearing is a blast. You get out on the lake before the sun comes up and cut a 4'x2' hole in the ice, then you place your fishing shanty over it. When you get your shanty set up you fire up your stove and clean all of the ice shavings out of your hole. To get the Northerns to come in you buy decoys, ( I handcarve my decoys but some people use live sucker minnows or a daredevil.) different decoys do different things. You attach your decoy to a jig stick that has tip up line attched to it. Your decoy should just swim in circles around your hole when you pull on the jig stick. The Northerns will come in and attack your decoy. This is when you spear the northern. Many people use a handmade spear that has anywhere from 3 to 6 tines and they range from 4 to 6 feet depending how tall your ceiling is in your shanty. You tie a rope to the end of the spear so you can retreive it after you throw it. Also when picking a spot to set up your shanty you dont want to set it in too deep of water because then the fish will be out of range.
It is a great sport because it combines hunting and fishing and it takes skill to harvest the pike. While you are dark house spearing you watch perch and other fish and auquatic life swiming around in the bottom of the lake.
ducker44
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 am

I guess what you do in your own shanty is your own buisness. :yes: I've never heard of that but very interesting. :huh:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

According to the general state regulations spearing or bow fishing for pike is allowed across the state unless a specific area prohibits it. I checked the Susitna area regs and they don't mention it not being OK. Our regs are detailed to trout and salmon so the trash fish like pike are pretty much open season for anything goes fishing.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/southcentral/SCsusitna.pdf

Up here the lakes get 2 to 6 feet of ice on them depending on how the winter is going. Most fish move into deeper water so that they can still get some oxygen.

Lakes with pike that are bigger than hammer handles are far off the roads and require a snowmachine to access.

Some complete jackasses have over the years transported pike into lakes in town that did not have them. This has wiped out several trout fisheries and stocking programs, and has also put some salmon runs in danger of being too low of a return to be fishable. Once these pike have eaten all the trout the only thing left is themselves and some sticklebacks. They seldom grow past 24 inches.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby darkhousefisher » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:37 am

Darkhouse spearing for pike is legal in most of Southcentral AK, with a few exceptions. Look me up when you get here, darkhouse spearing is my hobby.
darkhousefisher
Newb

Postby ducker44 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:13 am

Sounds good man. Thanks
ducker44
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting