Best Duck Recipe of All Time

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby Leana » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:45 pm

I joined this site for one reason, and one reason ONLY.... to THANK YOU! Thank you soooo much for that delicious duck recipe!

I was browsing the web looking for recipes for cooking my first duck, ever. I ran across this site, then the cream cheese and jalapeno recipe. O-M-G! It was soooo de-licious! I could not believe ANYTHING could taste so.... heavenly. I mean, close your eyes, lift your chin and moan heavenly!

My only regret is taking the advice to not put too much cream cheese in the duck's breast. Baaaaad advice. Come Christmas, I'm cooking duck (I put it in the oven rather than grilled it - which is why I suppose the bacon did nothing for me or the duck). But Xmas, duck STUFFED with those jalapenos and cream cheese.

P.S. Who woulda thunk - jalapenos???

Well, whoever thunk it, keep on thinking! :thumbsup:
Thank you so much!
Leana
Newb

Postby pgquackstacker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:30 pm

these are my two favorite recipes:

marinate duck breast in italian dressing overnight. Then butterfly open and stuff with a half of an ortega green chile from the can they should be whole chiles and a slice of pepperjack cheese. Then barbecue until done.

INCREDIBLE!

The next one is to put crumbled bleu cheese in the duck breast and wrap in bacon and cook until the bacon is done and it should be perfect and if it looks like the bleu cheese melted away i did not it just soaked into the meat.

again AWESOME!

Now this one isn't purely for duck but it is awesome. Take a deer backstrap and cut open. Now put in chunks of duck that has been marinated over night in italian dressing. Then sprinkle some tony chachere's on the backstrap and then wrap in bacon and cook until done.
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby Huntin G » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:53 pm

This one is pretty involved, but it is amazing. If you like gourmet cooking this is worth the effort. The recipe is modified from the French Laundry cookbook, supposed to be the best resaurant in US.

Breast the ducks and brine overnight.

Make duck sauce. Clean the rest of the ducks and cut up. Fry these parts till well browned. Add 1 cup water, cooked till waters gone. Add 1 cup chicken broth, cook till gone. Add chopped carrots and celery, cooked till browned. Add 2 cups chick broth simmer for awile. Then strain the sauce, should have a little more than a cup.

Make cream style corn. Shuck 6 ears, juice half the kernels, boil the other kernels add kernels to the corn juice, simmer for a couple minutes.

Sautee some chopped muchrooms till well browned then add a little of the duck sauce, simmer for a few minutes.

Boil some swiss chard, remove the hard center part. Roll each duck breasts into long cylinder then rollup in the swiss chard leaves, then roll the whole thing tightly in plastic wrap and tie off ends. Boil these packets for about 6 minutes then remove and let rest 5 minutes. Then remove plastic wrap and slice the cylinders in 3 peices, kind of looks like sushi rolls.

Take plate, pour duck sauce in middle, add some cream corn, place duck rolls in middle, top with sauteed mushrooms.
Huntin G
hunter

ducks and greens

Postby Mark1952 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 pm

take 2 big ducks(mallards)or 4 small ducks(teal)The bad part is they have to be picked.Get one package of frozen collard greens and cook them with one onion (chopped and browned)and A stick of butter.drain the grreens in colander and stuff the greens inside and around the ducks and bake at 350 for 2 hours.(you can season like you like)Got this out of old cameron la cook book and it is VERY good.
Mark1952
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I like the bacon wraped breast / cream cheese , jalapeno filling.

I add a slice of white onion as well....

We also marinate in cajun injector Roasted Garlic and Herb... Damn good stuff. better than italian dressing!! You can order it online.... just google cajun injector.

Then once we have turned the breasts on the grill, right before they are done, we baste them with cane syrup. You can order that from Steene's online also. Honey works but not as good. Orange marmilade glaze is a favorate also. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Netstar1 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 am

anybody have a favorite recipe for specklebelly?
Netstar1
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:32 pm

For ducks I ussually do the same but alittle diff version of what yall do

for specklebellys I leave the bird whole with skin and take all the guts out. add fresh garlic, butter, and onions inside and out. place in a clear oven bag and put some juice in there(whatever kind you like) and stick it in the oven for 2 hrs. we did that with the specs I shot after christmas and it was awsome(I would recomend marinating it and adding tony chachere's and alittle cayenne pepper.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby roughstock23 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 pm

I have several ways of cooking them but one not mentioned on here is (1) Marinate in Coca - Cola to remove all blood and whatever else causes bad flavor. (2) Marinate 6 hours to overnight in Italian deassing and worcestshire sauce (3) Sautee' mushrooms in butter and worcestshire sauce, as the shrooms are browning cut duck into small chunks. Once the shrooms are brown add the duck chunks to the mixture adding a small amount of soy sauce. Cook until duck is brown all the way through and enjoy!
"Call em close, Smack em in the lips" ruffryder19@myspace.com
Buck Gardner Pro Staff
roughstock23
hunter

Try this glaze!!

Postby Primos Partner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am

I looked online and found a little secret. Basically you don't breast it. Keep it whole, but of course remove feet and head, haha. Then you make a glaze of 50/50 soy sauce and maple syrup, but put a little more syrup than soy sauce to thicken it up. Hang the duck in the air and completley coat the whole duck with the glaze. let it air dry for about 15mins, then apply another coat. Do this a couple times until you have about 4 or 5 coats of the glaze, letting it dry after each coat. After you put the coats of glaze on, quarter an apple or two and place it inside the duck. Throw that in the oven at about 425 degrees for about 20mins, then reduce to 325 degrees and cook until done. This recipe is AMAZING!!!

here's the link http://backwoodsbound.com/zduck30.html
Primos Partner
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 pm

My family loves BBQ duck............

You can soak in water with un-iodised salt to get rid of the duck taste or if you dont mind, marinade in orange juice and brown sugar, over night.

Cut the bird up the back and down the breast for two sections that cook fast and easy..........extra spices can be added, if needed then
on to a "Kingsford" fire if possible, since gas is my 2nd choice of heat.

Smoking chips can also be added.
Sagebrush
hunter

Orange ginger Duck

Postby ducksmacker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 am

recipe
6-8 breasts
1 pk bacon
1 jar sliced jalapenos
toothpicks or skewers
1/2 can orange juice concentrate
4oz honey
zest from 1 orange
1/4 can chicken broth
1 tsp ginger
pinch of salt and pepper

* Take 6-8 breasts and cut into thirds
* mix ingredients to make marinade/glaze
* soak breasts in marinade over night
* wrap each piece with jalapeno inside of bacon (put on toothpicks or skewers)
* put on grill and a couple minutes before done baste with glaze again (careful not to overcook, better a bit rare than dry)
enjoy
ducksmacker
Newb

Re: Best Duck Recipe of All Time

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 am

Wow, you guys have some tastey sounding recipies. I posted this "Swampbilly" recipe once before; take any puddle duck plucked and cleaned. Soak in saltwater for a couple of hours. Salt and pepper inside out and stick a tangerine inside after poking holes in it. Wrap 3 or 4 strips of bacon around the duck. Stick it in your smoker for about 1-1/2 hours with some mesquite or hickory chips. Melt down some plum jelly (1 jar) or some red currant jelly in a saucepan and add 1/2 cup of port or red wine to it.Simmer about 10 min. Dip your duckmeat in the sauce..... the boys tell me it'll make a puppy pull a freight train
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I do the jalapeno, creme cheese and bacon thing also, But I am not an "italian dressing" kind of guy.

Before cooking, I marinade the duck or goose breasts in an even mixture of Lawry's teriyaki & pineapple, Lawry's mesquite & lime, and Claude's brisket marinades. A little bit of the Lawry's seasonsalt in the mix doesn't hurt either.
The bacon is basically the timer, don't overcook it. I try to get it about med-rare.

Everyone that has tried this has loved it.
REDGUN
hunter

Re:

Postby mattm25tx » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:58 pm

greenheadfallon wrote:
bandedmarsh wrote:cut a pocket into the breast and add a little cream cheese. makes it a 100 times better.

i put smokey cheddar in mine. i love it. any of these variations work there all amazing.

I did this for the first time tonight and it was awsome I did some w/ cream cheese some w/ pepper jack and some w. colby jack
My cousin who has never ate anything wild loved it. Now I just wish that wasnt the last of my duck.
Matts Mobile Marine Service

If your not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room
mattm25tx
hunter

Re:

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:33 am

Netstar1 wrote:anybody have a favorite recipe for specklebelly?

One of the easiest and best ways to cook any goose. Cleaned and plucked with the skin on. Place bird in a baking bag, add a can or two of any fruit, be it cocktail, pears, pineapple. Bake it at 200-230 for 4 or so hours. Fall off the bone tender and delicous. I cook all of my specks and canadas this way. My wife even likes it.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Buckwheat » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Like everyone else I like the bacon, cream cheese, and pepper of some kind. The difference is always in the marinade.

Yesterday I tried something new and it was awesome. I put some breast chunks in Carribean Jerk marinade overnight. I put pineapple chunks in the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of sugar and mixed. I wrapped the duck and cream cheese/pineapple mixture in bacon and this time I added bannana pepper instead of jalapeno. Grilled and man it was good :clapping:
The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
-Walter Cronkite

To the deer hunter, there are only 3 that truely matter: The first one, the biggest one, and the next one.
-B
Buckwheat
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 am

like everyone else said the jalepeno and cream cheese seems to be a favorite.

Another way we like to cook them is pluck your duck, the skin is key. This is for the grill and the oven. It is best with teal and woodies but still great with other ducks. First, Pluck your duck, cut off the feet, head, and wings, put them in water with salt over night or longer. Secondly Get some Teriyaki marinate(or garlic and herb,or whatever you like, I think teriyaki is the best) and put your birds in a ziplock bag over night or longer, take out and put on the grill for 5-10 minutes each side (make sure to watch them cuz they WIll flame up) I like them cooked this way better than the jalepeno wrapped.

For the oven, We taked the plucked bird and rub it with olive oil and put on seasonings, Sea Salt, Pepper,garlic(fresh) lawrys, and whatever rub is good. Take a whole Vidalia onion and cut into slices and lay the slices on the bottom of one of those glass pans. take acouple slices of butter and put on top of those along with a little bit of beer and some minced garlic, to just cover your onions. Take your birds and put a couple slices of butter on the inside along with some fresh garlic. Than set your birds on top of the onions and add another piece of butter ontop of the bird. Preheat your over to 350 and when its ready put your birds in there for about 30-35 minutes.

Make sure when you cook these, they are cooked at Medium-Rare to Medium or it drys it out way too much.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:20 pm

this is how we cook duck at our camp and it is the best.

take one mallard, plucked. stuff with apple quarters, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. place breast up on tinfoil pour in red wine and seal, use a second sheet for added protection. place on a bed of coles for 25 min. breast up. flip brest down for 10 min. let rest 10 min. then enjoy. this is the most tender and juiciest way i have ever had a duck in my life.
THAXTER
hunter

Postby schobsUWSP » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:06 pm

I just had one of what was probably the best meals in my life, and it was the duck breast marinated in italian dressing, wrapped in bacon, and grilled. I was able to butterfly 2 mallard breasts and stuff them with a slice of mild roasted red pepper cheese, the other breasts were smaller (teal and woodie) and I just wrapped them in bacon. The meat was so tender I couldn't believe it, and there was no gamey taste at all!
schobsUWSP
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 pm

i love duck gumbo and gravy, and we do the ducks on the pit in bacon and all that usually just w/ doves and teal during teal season. but my favorite is wood ducks (seasoned, skin on, plucked) in a crock pot w/ mushrooms ( i like a lot ) ,chopped onions, bell peppers, and green onions and, this is key, some cut up sweet potatoes. cook slow in crock pot and eat over rice.

one other one we discovered the other day (similar to drunken chicken): we were camping and only killed two teal and food was low. cleaned them (pluck) and seasoned the ducks. then, cut off top of beer can, leave beer in it; season the beer and shove the teal in it. cook on pit. it was delicious but we were also starving at the time.....
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

just a quick thing

duck, peppers(red, green) onions, cheese and bacon
Attachments
7326_571116316914_75304820_33380589_376562_n.jpg
You pay for you!

Postby don taylor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:05 pm

I served the jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed breast to the GF and she had never had duck before.

She's hooked. Now my next recipe has to be as good as that one. She enjoyed the breast cooked in the bacon alone, but the presentation with the cheese and peppers is so much more appealing. Its not going to be easy.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quack-Blaster » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 am

Well, I think that the bacon wrapped duck has definitely seen its glory.

My favorite recipe is Red Beans and Rice.

Garlic salt
16oz bag of red beans
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup oil
2 bay leaves
worchester sauce
jimmy dean hot sausage (in the tube)
anduille sausage links sliced
4-6 duck breasts
rice
hot sauce!

soak beans in water overnight, and soak duck in orange juice over night

fill 2 to 3 quarts water in dutch oven and bring to boil for 20 minutes with beans and garlic salt. While boiling saute celery, onions, garlic in oil in skillet. Once sauted add to beans with bay leaves worchester and hotsauce. Fry the both sausages until golden brown. when close to finishing with sausage, add duck to meat mixture. When all meat is cooked, DO NOT DRAIN GREASE, and add to beans. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours and serve over rice, duck should be very tender and taste great!
Early in the mornin watch ducks fly, bead on my shotgun watch ducks die!
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm

man all you guys got is peppers and bacon!? hahah im a chef on the ocean in falmouth maine. other than wrapped in bacon, which by far is the best. i like to do a few things. if the bird is whole i like to make a ginger-ale reduction. take 4 cups ginger ale. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/3 cup honey and a tblsp corrandor <(not a must). simmer the mix til its syrup-y. pop the bird in with oil salt and pepper at 400 for 15mins. take the bird out spoon over the gingerale awesome sauce evey 15 mins til the thickest part of the breast is 145def f.

if just breast gets some blackening seasoning. also known as black fish, cajun seasoning. anything kinda spicy and red. cover one side of the breast. get a pan real hot, some smoke coming off of it. make sure that no water come in contact with the pan at this time so pat the unseasoned side of the bird dry. lay the seasoned side in the pan (lightly oiled) til its a black color. flip and sear the other side. finish in the oven at 350 til the breast is 140def f. <my favorite

next time you cut up your birds leave the skin on the breast. pluck the breast and cut the skin and flesh out. salt pepper and oil the breast. grill skin side down til the skin is crispy. flip and cook on low til the breast is 140 def f. spread a light layer of blueberry jelly on just before removing from the grill

from a professional. your welcome :wink:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby silver02r1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:51 am

I tried a suggested recipe last night. Soaked my duck breast in Italian dressing for about 20 hours, then wrapped them in bacon and cooked em up. It was delicious!!! I am looking forward to trying some of the other variations that have been suggested. Thanks for a great recipe idea.
2009/2010 Tallies

Mallard:7
GWT:8
Widgeon:6
Pintail:
Shoveler:1
Scaup:2
Bufflehead:3
Geese:
Merganser:2
silver02r1
hunter