Best Duck Recipe of All Time

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Re: Best Duck Recipe of All Time

Postby don taylor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Just did the bacon wrapped cheddar/jalapeno but with a pheasant breast.

Awesome.

I'm going to shoot a coot next time I'm out and try it.

Who Knows???
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm

don taylor wrote:Just did the bacon wrapped cheddar/jalapeno but with a pheasant breast.

Awesome.

I'm going to shoot a coot next time I'm out and try it.

Who Knows???

Is there anywhere you aren't going to post this? :hammer:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ryan Hill » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 pm

fajitas...

marinade the breasts in italian dressing, a little worchestershire, and a little hot sauce. Then fry them up with bell peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning. My buddy showed me this one and it is absolutely amazing.
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby Ithaca Dog » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:58 pm

These all look great and I have tried some of them with great results.

My favorite reciepe would be roasted duck.

One or Two ducks plucked and cleaned well. The fatter the better.

Cranberry juice.

Oranges

Lemons

Salt, Pepper maybe some other spices if you feel like it. Garlic, onion ect.

Marinate duck in cranberry juice for a couple of hours. Take it out and add fresh cranberry juice to the bottom of the roasting pan (an inch or two) rub duck with salt and pepper inside and out. Cut oranges and lemons in quarters and stuff inside duck using equal amounts of each untill the cavities are full. Sprinkle top of duck with lemon juice. Cover the top of the duck with orange and lemon slices. Cook at 450 for 15 min. uncovered. Cover duck and lower temp to 400. cook another 15-20 min until the meat is med rare. about 160-165 on the thermometer. Do Not Over Cook. Take out remove from pan and let rest for 15 min. and enjoy. It is delicious. Serve cranberry sauce, orange marmalade or plum jelly on the side. Goes great with wild rice, regular rice, potatos, carrots or asparagus ect.
Ithaca Dog
hunter

Postby Acemaveric » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 pm

:fingerpt: Well the best recipe I can think of is a nice wood duck smoked with a cucumber inside. (Note that the cucumber must not be peeled.) This can only be done once the duck has marinated for 6 hours in ketchup. :bow: But during the smoking phase of this recipe you must baste the duck every 30 minutes with melted peanut butter. * Crunchy peanut butter strongly suggested* :wink: Once the duck is done you will need oregano, garlic and basil, mixed with viniger for a nice posh dipping sauce. This is a family recipe handed down for years so keep it secret. I will gladly give a more detailed description of the recipe if needed. :thumbsup: Thanx ACEMAV
Acemaveric
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 am

Acemaveric wrote::fingerpt: Well the best recipe I can think of is a nice wood duck smoked with a cucumber inside. (Note that the cucumber must not be peeled.) This can only be done once the duck has marinated for 6 hours in ketchup. :bow: But during the smoking phase of this recipe you must baste the duck every 30 minutes with melted peanut butter. * Crunchy peanut butter strongly suggested* :wink: Once the duck is done you will need oregano, garlic and basil, mixed with viniger for a nice posh dipping sauce. This is a family recipe handed down for years so keep it secret. I will gladly give a more detailed description of the recipe if needed. :thumbsup: Thanx ACEMAV
:lol: ...... :huh: .... *Sidenote*......Must be heavily intoxicated before eating :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fox1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 pm

I basically do the same thing with the marinade but i butterfly them and then stuff them with boudain, the spicier the better and then wrap them in bacon. I also like to coat them with chipolte sauce right before i pull them from the grill.
Nothing better than the smell of a wet dog and gunpowder on a cold morning!
fox1
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:10 pm

This is my all time favorite, given to me by my friend, loved by anyone I've ever made it for, even professed duck haters

Cut duck breast into small 2 inch strips, marinate however you like. I like Mr. Yoshida teriyaki, but I've done it with no marinade too.
Quickly brown ducks in some butter so they are about 1/2 cooked.
Hollow out a green bell pepper, clean out most of the white stuff the seeds are on. Some seeds left inside won't hurt anything.
Save the lid of the bell pepper, you will need it.
Stuff bleu cheese into the bottom of the bell pepper, filling it up about 1/3 of the way.
Add strips of 1/2 cooked duck and hunks of pre cooked bacon. About 1-2 breast per pepper
Fill the remainder of bell pepper with bleu cheese. Put the bell pepper lid back on top like a Jack-o-latern.
BBQ the bell pepper about 7-10 mins

The blue cheese will melt, and fondue the duck the rest of the way so its cooked. The flavor of the bell pepper and cheese will infuse into the cheese or meat. When serving, just cut the bell pepper up and enjoy!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Dustin07 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 pm

i just created my new favorite yesterday. friggin delicious, tasted like teryaki, and I didn't use any teryaki sauce.

a little liquid smoke
a little garlic sauce/power (whatever garlic medium you prefer)
olive oil to mix it and get it to stick to the meat
montreal steak seasoning
meat tenderzier
brown sugar

grill until rare, or medium rare if you prefer.. i like it juicy and rare myself... on the grill on a low heat. Don't heat the grill past 300, use that to singe the meat, but turn it way down to low for just w few minutes of cooking. baste a little with leftover marinade.

soooooo good,
Dustin07
hunter

Postby BadLab » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 am

You can never go wrong with the Jalepeno and bacon. I think a close second to this one is Garlic duck skewers from Hunt Fish Cook. Its awesome.
http://www.huntfishcook.com/index.php?option=com_ricettario&func=detail&Itemid=34&id=448
BadLab
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm

I see all you guys best receipe.Lord don't anyone pick a duck anymore?Duck breast,duck breast.
How about a hold duck,or are you too lazy to pick a duck.To breast a duck and throw the rest away is a shame.
Do you kill a deer and just cut the loin out and leave the rest?

Now (FLAME) away fellows.

From the OLD SCHOOL.

Charlie
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 pm

charlie beard wrote:I see all you guys best receipe.Lord don't anyone pick a duck anymore?Duck breast,duck breast.
How about a hold duck,or are you too lazy to pick a duck.To breast a duck and throw the rest away is a shame.

From the OLD SCHOOL.

Charlie

Charlie...I too was taught old school here in louisiana...see my Bisque of Duck and Cauliflower thread...whole plucked ducks...or my duck and goose gumbo thread...again whole ducks....

when we breast them...I usually pull out the legs and thighs for gumbo anyhow....I also separate the tenderloins for duck tenderloin Marsala-excellent I'll tell ya!!! :drool:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I've tried just about every recipe, and the bacon wrap is the best. Bu then again, a dog turd probably would be edible if you wrapped it in enough bacon.

I finally have come to the conclusion that duck tastes like duck which tastes like liver. So, any good liver recipe will work just fine. Lots of onions, pepper, a little gravy, serve over rice, and there you have it. Liverduck. :biggrin: Anything else to try to hide the taste simply means that you don't like liver, uh...I mean duck. 'Nough said.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby bullsprig2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Cut duck into bite size cubes

In pan heat olive oil and begin saute some garlic
Add ducks, season with salt and Montreal Steak seasoning and saute for a few minutes, remove duck from pan.
Add sliced cremini mushrooms and saute for about five minutes
Add 1 1/2 cups of heavy whiping cream and a half cup of sherry
Heat to boil, them simmer for about five minutes until sauce begins to thicken
Add cooked diced duck back to sauce for about five minutes

Serve the duck, mushrooms and sauce atop a nice pile of wild rice

This is truly amazing
bullsprig2
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 am

I like the Italian marinade wrapped in bacon with sharp cheddar cheese, or iron chefs sesame ginger marinade, and all that other stuff as much as the next guy. Personally I dont think you can beat fried teal. Even sliced small and fried big duck (mallard for instance) is good, but teal is by far the best. Filet from the bone, cover in beaten eggs, dredge in seafood breader (seasoned however you like... Usually garlic powder, seasoning salt, pepper is all you need... old bay works well too) and fried for a minute or two on each side, until golden brown, in vegetable oil. Cant beat it.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

i keep all the tenderlions from my ducks and do that. i use either clam fry or panko tho.

also italian dressing and franks buff sauce is one of my favorite marinades. it works with everythin
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 am

charlie beard wrote:I see all you guys best receipe.Lord don't anyone pick a duck anymore?Duck breast,duck breast.

From the OLD SCHOOL.

Charlie

I think that's mainly the guys who like killing them more than eating them? or maybe their just lazy :huh: . we pick about 20 percent of our birds, most of the rest get skinned and quartered out. the only time we breast a bird is when it's been shot in the ass to badly. If you haven't eaten the legs and thighs, you don't know what your missing, like roast beef but with flavor :thumbsup:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:57 am

Dingbatter 2 wrote:I've tried just about every recipe, and the bacon wrap is the best. Bu then again, a dog turd probably would be edible if you wrapped it in enough bacon.

I finally have come to the conclusion that duck tastes like duck which tastes like liver. So, any good liver recipe will work just fine. Lots of onions, pepper, a little gravy, serve over rice, and there you have it. Liverduck. :biggrin: Anything else to try to hide the taste simply means that you don't like liver, uh...I mean duck. 'Nough said.

If your duck taste like liver you're over cooking it, try searing a breast in a real hot pan, move it to a hot oven for a few minutes till its rar/medium rare, slice it up put it back inthe pan with a pat of butter some salt and coarse ground pepper and plate it as soon as the butter melts, don't let the meat go past medium. If a breast goes past medium at my place it goes to the dog. the legs and thighs You can cook to well but do it slow and moist, no liver taste, I can't stand liver and i eat at least a hundred ducks a year :wink:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby jgoetz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:47 am

I am going out on a limb here and stepping away from the grilling notion. I take my duck breasts. Rub them in some burger seasoning then marinate in extra virgin olive oil with some more burger seasoning sprinkled in. After about 6 hours I take them out and put them in a slow cooker. Pour just enough water in the slow cooker to cover the breasts but not to the point that the breasts are swimming. Then I chop up an onion. For 8 breasts I usually use just over half an onion. Sprinkle the minced onion over the breasts and in the water and cook for 5 hours or until breasts appear done. I then mix the breasts with rice and gravy or noodles and gravy. Sort of a duck stroganoff. Not only does this taste delcious but your house will smell wonderful as well.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby cburnsid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Neighbors favorite recipe is... take the duck breast and lay it on a shingle, season to taste. Smoke on grill till breast is done and then throw the duck away and eat the shingle. LOL
cburnsid
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm

cburnsid wrote:Neighbors favorite recipe is... take the duck breast and lay it on a shingle, season to taste. Smoke on grill till breast is done and then throw the duck away and eat the shingle. LOL

can someone tell me whats up with all the douchers coming onto a waterfowl forum and bashing the taste of duck?!
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:42 pm

daffy... wrote:
cburnsid wrote:Neighbors favorite recipe is... take the duck breast and lay it on a shingle, season to taste. Smoke on grill till breast is done and then throw the duck away and eat the shingle. LOL

can someone tell me whats up with all the douchers coming onto a waterfowl forum and bashing the taste of duck?!

look at the post counts daffy....newbs... :hi: happens every season

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:07 pm

yeah i noticed that. just a oxymoron i guess to me. like going to a glock forum and saying i hate poly framed guns..... so what are you doing here?! right?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 pm

daffy... wrote:yeah i noticed that. just a oxymoron i guess to me. like going to a glock forum and saying i hate poly framed guns..... so what are you doing here?! right?

I know people that like to shoot ducks but don't enjoy eating them...but most of them at least give the birds away to people whom do enjoy eating them. What really gets my blood boiling however is lietening to people brag about shooting ducks and letting them lay with no attempt to pick them up. And I'm not talkin about just a few birds either...try 60-70 ringnecks. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:28 pm

yea see i cant stand that. i watched guys press teal into the mud on the bay one day cus they already had their limit. kills me, realllllly kills me.

i say it everyday "only sh!theads are breeding"
daffy...
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking