Best Duck Recipe of All Time

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Re: Best Duck Recipe of All Time

Postby duckmandan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm not much of a cook, Could someone school me on the steps to make the creamcheese/bacon/jalapeno recipe? This sounds sooooo good....Thanks
duckmandan
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 pm

duckmandan wrote:I'm not much of a cook, Could someone school me on the steps to make the creamcheese/bacon/jalapeno recipe? This sounds sooooo good....Thanks

anyone can do it.

wrap seasoned duck breasts (you can cajun inject them if you want) w/ bacon. under the bacon, put cream cheese or pepper jack or whatever cheese you prefer, and some jalopenio. use a tooth pick to hold together.

cook on the pit, when the bacon is done, it's ready, about medium i guess.

that's basically how i do it or some variation of it, and i'm no chef. it comes out pretty good though.

daffy will chime in though shortly.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=130858

heres the bacon wrapped breast, just add a horizontal slit in the side, put cheese and peppers in then wrap in bacon
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby duckmandan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:05 am

I made it lastnite, all I can say is WOOW!!!! it was really good. Thanks guys
duckmandan
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:45 pm

My all time favorite involves one slice of plain white toast, dry, one egg (chicken or bald eagle) over easy, and one (2 if its a little duck) breasts cut into chunks and fried with a little butter untill all surfaces are brown. Place the egg on the toast and the duck on the egg and dig in. It dosent sound like much but for a college kid thats a pretty hearty breakfast.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:52 pm

ok so here is an odd one. i do love the bacon wrapped duck, but you can only eat it so many times before it gets old. in know this is a dying art to cooking and most people i know don't even know what it is, but several years back my mother who cans (pressure cooks) quite abit of different things decided to try a few duck breasts. all she does is chunk the meat up fills the can three quarters full and puts a pinch of salt in it. then she pressure cooks it. for how long i couldn't tell you, but if you are interested pm and i will find out. i thought she done went bat sh!t crazy on me when she told me she wanted to do it, but to my suprise it is unbelievable. the meat tastes exactly like roast beef, and thats no exageration. there is no game flavor at all and the meat pulls apart just like roast beef. you can make sandwiches, stew, gravy, or just about anything with it that requires beef, or you can just eat it out of the can as a snack. no seasoning needed. everyone i know that has tried it can't believe the taste and many of them don't even hunt. the most amazing thing about it is that anything pressure cooked doesn't have to be refrigerated and it last until the seal is broken. so it is perfect to through in the duck boat and throw on the heater to warm up. its almost an instant meal. in my fifteen years of waterfowling. this is by far the best way i have found to cook duck or goose.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:48 am

This still get my vote.
cream%20cheese%20and%20jalapeno.jpg
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm

don, what the f*** isss thatttt!!!
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:39 pm

daffy... wrote:don, *** isss thatttt!!!

looks like cream cheese duck kabobs; probably with a jalapeno (or some other type of pepper) and maybe a piece of onion wrapped in bacon...French fries, and maybe Rice a Roni?? :huh:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm

btw you cant type W T F on dhc?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 pm

daffy... wrote:btw you cant type W T F on dhc?

nope...filter will block it.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby downingducksdowneast » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Besides classic duck/bacon/cheese grill combo my family fav is Duck Gumbo...oh sooo good.

Ingredients

* 2 wild ducks or 2-3lb duck breasts, cut up
* 1/2 cup cooking oil
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
* 2 cups chopped onion
* 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
* 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 quarts water
* Hot cooked rice

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown duck in batches in oil. Remove and set aside. Discard all but 2/3 cup drippings. Add flour to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until brown, 12-14 minutes. Add sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, parsley and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. ADd next eight ingredients; mix well. Add duck; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 60-75 minutes or until duck is tender. Remove duck. Cool. Debone and cut into chunks if working with whole duck; return to pan. Simmer 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice.
downingducksdowneast
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 am

Duck breast, pounded out and stuffed with cheese and peppers wrapped tightly in thin cut bacon, yellow wax beans and reheated fried rice from a huge lunch order.

I have 4 kids and one on the way, Daffy. Most nights are about a quick dinner and a quick clean up. To not have to wash another pan and utensils from cooking a side is a bonus.

I guess yellow beans aren't common in your neck of the woods? Maybe it was the yellowish light being cast by the overhead light? I have no idea what looks funny, but I can assure you it looked and tasted delicious.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm

im f-ing with ya buddy, but the duck looks like a oozing "dukey" on my phone... i almost gave you sh!t for two starches also, the the wax beans looked like penne pasta.

wax beans are great pickles. "dilly beans" is what they go by around camp
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby MaxRabbit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 am

Ill start by saying that I love em just about anyway i make but here is my fave.

1 whole white onion
10 cloves of garlic(smashed)
salt and pepper
1/2 stick butter
fume blanc
portabella mushrooms

slice the onion so you have 2" pieces, smash the 10 cloves dont dice and cut the portabella into 1" cubes(they will shrink). duck, butter and garlic, onion, mushrooms and wine into skillet. For larger birds you will want to cook the duck, garlic butter and wine for a couple minutes before adding the mushrooms and onion. Serve over some rice! :beer:
MaxRabbit
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 am

8 small chicken thighs (2 to 2-1/4 lb.), skinned
3/4 cup low-calorie cranberry juice
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 tsp. packed brown sugar
Fresh thyme leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat extra-large ovenproof skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper on chicken. In hot skillet cook, meaty sides down, 5 minutes, turning once, until well-browned on both sides. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast, uncovered, 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F).
Meanwhile, in saucepan combine juice, berries, thyme sprigs, brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to boiling. Simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Discard thyme sprigs. Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle thyme leaves.

I like this with chicken and I'm gonna try to substitue with duck and see how it is. Now I just have to shoot one...................
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby basseagle83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm

My personal fav is ultra simple, coat breast (filleted from breast bone) with some oil, hit it with garlic salt, cook at a fairly low temp in a skillet with olive oil. thats it. Ive done it like that about 100 times and I personally like the slight duck taste. Now im dying to try some of your recipes.

Question: Does anyone cook their recipes "raw"?
basseagle83
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 pm

basseagle83 wrote:Question: Does anyone cook their recipes "raw"?

duck you can. its called tartare. google some beef tartare recipes and sub it with duck... its great on a baguet with a sunside up quail egg over it.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby VernonPLSUfan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Cooked this in the blind the other day. Soak duck breastesess in milk over night. Make egg/milk wash. All pupose flour. Cut breast into tenders. Dredge in wash, then flour, and fry like chicken tenders. Get some, and I can't find any around here, some Jac's chipotle/rasberry sauce to dip. Awesomeness.

Duck count as of Dec 5

Mallards 28
Teal 16
Wooducks 6
Spoonies 6
Pintails 4
Greys 5
Mergansers 3

Enjoy.
VernonPLSUfan
Newb

Postby thebman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 am

My wife substuited Duck for Beef in Julia Childes Beef Burgundy recipe...
HOLY CRAP IT WAS AWESOME!!!

http://www.food.com/recipe/boeuf-bourguignon-a-la-julia-child-148007
thebman
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Goose- I've cooked in the crockpot like roast with potatoes,carrots,onion and french onion soup mix. Taste like beef.

Duck- The duck poppers are always a favorite, I also cook duck in place of beef. I use it in fajitas and teriyaki stir-fry, slice about 1/4" thick or a little thicker, cook in teriyaki(for stir-fry) or fajita seasoning til about medium rare. Throw in your veggies and put a lid on it to steam your veggies until cooked. You may want to add a little water to make sure your meat and veggies don't dry out. Serve with your appropriate side ( rice(stir-fry) or tortillas) and fajita fixings.
fireman1293
hunter

Postby tman886 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:42 pm

take about 8 to ten duck breast cut into about 1 inch pieces.
Take two red bell peppers cut into 1 inch pieces.
Take one large red onoin cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 bunch of button mushrooms,
1 bottle of ott's original dressing
1 can of pinnapple chunks
1 12oz can of beer
teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of salt

mix all ingrediants in large mixing bowl mix well by hand put in fridge for 1 to 2 days then put on shishkabob sticks and grill util just brown on the outside don't overcook this is the best duck recipe of all time
tman886
Newb

Postby springerspanielwellie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:10 pm

For an awesome and unexpected appetizer, I like to do fried alligator tail. I found a tried and true recipe and posted it on my site here:
http://www.whoaday.com/pages/fried-alligator-tail
Also, LOVE LOVE the combination of peaches and jalapeno. Would be amazing stuffed in duck or dove breast meat
http://www.whoaday.com/pages/metten-burger
springerspanielwellie
Newb

Postby DRYLOK » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Man you guys are kill'n me in this thread. The duck wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill is my favorite too. But I like a lot other mentioned have experimented with stuff it with all kinds of things. So far I've stuffed with mushrooms, green peppers, cream cheese, jelepino and one time I put a little slice of apple in there.
On the stuffing part one thing I've found that helps is instead of trying to wrap the duck and whatever you're stuffing it with all in the bacon, I butterfly the breast and put all my stuffings in there and then wrap it in bacon. It helps keep everything tight and maybe it's just me but it seems like the meat will absorb the flavors of all the stuffings you put in there. No question about it though, cream cheese and mushrooms are always in the mix.
Gawd I'm starving now
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Soak duck breasts in salt water for 24 hrs, then marinate in buttermilk overnight. Dry and wrap with fatty bacon. Hold bacon in place with tooth picks. Melt butter in a cup in the microwave and add garlic powder. Place breasts on hot coals, baste with garlic butter, cook 15 mins, turn and baste again, cook another 15 mins, baste again and remove. Serve with your favorite side dishes and beer.
Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking