Early Canada Geese and Ponds?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Early Canada Geese and Ponds?

Postby Fowlphile » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:27 pm

So I managed to get permission to hunt a pond that is close to a lake. The farmer asked if I liked killing Canadas... from this point it was easy to get permission. He said that the geese were always feeding on his crops right around the pond. I've never hunted geese in Kansas (this is my first year here) but I was hoping that some of you might have done this up around NE Kansas and could give some advice. I suspect the way I hunted geese is quite a bit different than what gets the job done here. I've only got a dozen goose shells; lost my roomates and most of my goose spread when I graduated and moved, my roomates were my hunting buddies and we pulled our dekes to make it half way decent. The pond is small but it is likely where I'll be Sept 3. Any advice welcome. Anyone wanting to do some hunting in the area? Maybe we can hook up and shoot us some honkers.

So to sum up my situation:
1 60yd X 40yd pond
2 ~1/2 mi from waterfowl refuge on the lake
3 Pond appeared to have soy beans around it (but farmer talked like there had been wheat at times)
4 There is a bit of a sunning area surrounding pond
5 A few small bushes for cover
6 Dozen flambeau shells as dekes

Any thoughts on what you do in this situation...
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real Cool Hand. ---Lucas Jackson
Fowlphile
hunter

Postby woodie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:28 am

Welcome to Kansas!! I'm from the NE part of the state also. My advice would be to go scout a few days before season and see if the geese are using it. On small ponds that I've seen geese either use it to rest and loaf during the day or as a roosting area at night. The first thing is to figure witch one is the case. I'd watch it from a distance in the evening from about an hour before dark until dark- the local birds tend to move just befor dark to roost when the weathers warm. If you see them come out during that time I would hunt the pond in the a.m. and wait for them to come in. If they fly in I'd still hunt in the a.m. and set up to pass shot them as they came out. Chances are they're used to comeing and going the same way. The one factor that may change this is a strong wind, in that case I would set up a little up wind of the pond to catch them coming out. I wouldn't use decoys in the early seson the geese are in family groups and if they're using the are they're probalbly using it by there self and it may discurage them more than help. Just my opion, good luck!!
woodie
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:10 pm

i agree, do your homework. be well hidden and have a good time. we will also be hunting up your way come that early honker season. if ya need some decoys, pm me. good luck
doane25
hunter

Postby Fowlphile » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Woodie, welcome. Thanks for the insights. This will be my first season here in KS and it is a little different than how I'm use to hunting geese/ducks. I'm am terribly anxious waiting on the season to open. I went ahead and bought a case of steel shot.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real Cool Hand. ---Lucas Jackson
Fowlphile
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting