Looking for a duck/quail/dove hunting buddy

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Looking for a duck/quail/dove hunting buddy

Postby Naturegirl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:16 pm

A little history on myself.

I've grown up in the outdoors my entire life. I live in the East Valley in Arizona. I'm 35 and the mother of 3 with a new 3-month old baby. I followed my husbad around on all of his hunts for so many years that eventually I picked up a gun and tried it myself. Well, I love it. It's not just the hunt, but being outside, enjoying good company at times, and the birds are like the icing on the cake for me.

My husband and I have different schedules and are finding it hard to get away together to hunt because of the new baby. I so hate being left behind and watch him come home with his ducks, quail, doves. I want to be out there. I want to go too. Our schedules enable us to go separately a lot more than together, but I've only been actually hunting myself last year and this year, so I am relatively new to it. I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable going out by myself yet.

I would love to meet someone else who would like to go hunting with me. We have all the equipment, including dog (but I doubt he'd let me take her yet because I'm not up to par on her training). I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there in the same boat as me. I can go pretty much anyday with a little notice.

For me, it doesn't matter if it is a man or a woman, but unfortunately in today's day and age we never know for certain who people are and I am a cautious person by nature. Maybe a guy is reading this and has a wife who likes to hunt too and can mention this to her.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Signed: I just wanna hunt!
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby skidrue » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Sure wish we at least lived in the same state. I would love to go. My husband is not into hunting so I usually go with our good friend and that is pretty hit and miss due to his work schedule. Someone needs to watch the kids anyways. :biggrin:

Good luck, I sure hope you find someone.
skidrue
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Have you posted in the Arizona forum? We found one of our best hunting buddies on the California forum, a guy who posted frequently and lived, it turned out, just a couple miles away from us.

I salute your tenacity! A good buddy of mine - another duck huntress - was testing me when she first met me. I got into hunting through my boyfriend, and she asked, "I you weren't, God forbid, with him anymore, would you still hunt?" I didn't hesitate for a second. "Of course!"

Sounds like you're the same way too.

Of course, if my boyfriend dumped me, I'd be screwed because he's the one who does all the [i]cooking[/i]. But that's another story.

Good luck!
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 am

Oh my gosh, yeah, my husband is a WAY better cook than I am too. lol.

Naturegirl, welcome to the boards! I was going to suggest trying the AZ forum as well. I hope you can find a hunting buddy. It's got to be hard trying to fit hunting in with all the kids to look our for too.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum