New hunting spot!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

New hunting spot!

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Woohoo! My husband just got permission for us to hunt some private property this weekend. Problem is we need to figure out how to hide in a field with 4" of winter wheat and no other cover. There's a pond in the middle of the field that was holding according to my husband "two geese, a bunch of mallards, some bigger divers, and small divers". He was about to go take a closer look.

Now, if I can just hit something this weekend we'll be all set. :tongue:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby KDcustomcalls » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:54 pm

feild layout blind sounds like they would work perfect for the situation
KDcustomcalls
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Here is the ticket they work great and there are 4 different colors to suit most any situation.

Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:49 am

I like the ghillie blind cover. Too bad we're trying not to spend any more $ for a bit. :(

We do have a couple of low-profile layouts, so we'll be brushing those as well as possible, and the third person is just going to have to lay on the ground surrounded by goose dekes. I have a couple of camping mats, that we can paint so at least he doesn't have to lay directly on the ground. It's going to be a chilly morning. There is a tad bit of brush along the pond at a couple points, but they're not real condusive to the direction that we want to shoot I guess. There are quite a few houses nearby, that we have to be careful of. But hey, the challenge is what makes hunting fun right? :thumbsup: Hopefully the birds are still around on Saturday.

I'll be taking my 20g sxs for the first time waterfowling. It's my first time hunting from a layout and I'm afraid I'll be too slow with my heavier 12g.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:38 am

build a small blind using 4 posts you can stick in the ground, some chicken wire and lots of tall grass jammed all around in the wire. then wear your Max4 camo and stay really still when they are overhead. It works. If you can't get out there before the morning of the hunt you can actually stand in the water at the edge of the pond with your waders. even sit on the edge. Most ducks come to the ponds like that early right at shooting time so really the camo part will not be an issue until the sun comes up. By then, you may already have limited out! woohoo..congrats on your new spot and good luck!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:12 pm

Sounds great! Let us know how it goes. I'm going out Monday for my birthday (any excuse to get a baby sitter to go hunting). Hopefully I'll hit more than one this time around.

Happy hunting!
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:51 am

Naturegirl, you're one bird up on me! :rofl:: I'm really hoping that tomorrow I'll at least get a little shooting in. I won't have to worry about my gun jamming this time around. Gotta love double barrels. ;)

Okie, do you think a blind like that would work for resident geese that are often at that spot? Or would they be too familiar with the area?

You know, this is part of what I like about waterfowling, there's always something new too learn.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 am

Well, Saturday turned out pretty decently. We came home with a pair of geese, a pair of greenheads, and 3 hooded mergansers. The mergansers were kind of an i.d. oops. They came flying in like crazy right at shooting light, and depending on which one of us you'd ask we thought they were wood ducks or buffies. lol. I thought they were buffies. We should have had more mallards, but they landed a touch out of range. We were limited in the areas we could set up, because of surrounded houses. We ended up using the lay-outs and my bro-in-law just laid in the grass with little bit of camo blind material over him.

And this is the first week that I actually got some decent shooting in! I can't claim any kills, but had plenty of assists. I think my brother-in-law and I kept shooting at the same birds at the same time. We never knew which one of us made contact. lol. I was shooting my side-by-side 20g and it felt so much better than my 12g. I think I have a new primary duck gun.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:57 am

glad your hunt went good. sounds like you got some good shooting in. Like those side/side 20's.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:39 pm

It's a great gun. Joe bought it for me two years ago for Christmas and spent WAY to much, but I love it. I'm a little afraid it's going to get all marked up, but I've already put some "character engravings" in it while rabbit hunting. It has a really nicely grained English stock.

Here's a pic from Saturday with the pond we hunted. When Joe told me that there was 4 inches of cover, I thought he meant 4 inches of wheat. The farmer had just planted, so it was bare dirt. The 4 inches of cover was just a bit right around the pond.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:40 pm

nice pond. I see the problem with no cover...wow...I don't think you would have much problem with a temp. blind though. Great pic! the face paint is soo sexy! haha. looks like you two had a great day with those geese and greenhead! woohoo
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:07 pm

My first time wearing paint. I had a mask on half the morning but it was so wet from condensation a couple hours in I was like, "Screw it! Give me the paint!". My brother-in-law had such a thick layer on that he looked like the Grinch. :rofl:

I totally lucked on while on my lunch break Friday and found a bunch of brushing materials for the blinds. As I was driving by an office park a guy was pulling up and tossing out 3-4 foot grasses that were being used in the landscaping. I filled the trunk up with the grass and then we used some brown spray paint to darken them up after the blinds were brushed. It worked pretty well! :biggrin:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby okiequacker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 pm

I think the paint makes you feel like a born hunter. haha..that is too funny! Sweet deal on the grass!
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum