Helping women gear up for duck hunting

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Helping women gear up for duck hunting

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

Hey ladies, I don't normally do this, but here goes:

I have a blog about being a woman hunter, and today I did a post about how a woman new to duck hunting can gear up. I get asked about this all the time because there's so little women's duck hunting clothing.

Anyway, I'd be grateful if you read it, and let me know if you have anything to add to it. Or if you know a woman who wants to hunt ducks, maybe you could share it with her. I think this is one area of hunting where women really need to help each other out, so I'm hoping this is useful.

Here's the blog post: http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2008/10/for-women-gearing-up-for-duck-season.html

Thanks! :thumbsup:

-Holly
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:33 am

Great article Holly! You know, I saw those long union bibs in the catalog and commented to my husband, "it's cold enough peeing in the woods, why would you want to get even more undressed?" Obviously, I missed their handy little feature. :rofl:
Last edited by Outdoor Gal on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

It's a little awkward using them. I wore them for the first time this weekend, and tried using them in a pitch black portapotty at the refuge and it was just plain weird. I think there's just a bit of a mental block to overcome - very hard to "let go" when you still have clothing on. Man, that early childhood potty training just sticks with you for life. Men have NO IDEA how good they have it.

:rofl:
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:43 pm

Amen, sistah! :rofl:

Have you seen the Shewee, by chance? http://www.shewee.com/
I've heard a few reviews from ladies that say it's pretty handy. They also say practicing with it at home before using it in the field is a good idea. I haven't quite gotten up the gumption to get one yet. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:26 pm

Ah! I have a friend who swears by the "Freshette," which does the same thing. If you're hunting from a boat or in water where there's no dry ground, that would be fantastic.

And yes, I'm thinking practice is essential :yes:
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:46 am

Great blog! I honestly had no idea there was even that much women's stuff out there. I went to Bass Pro Shops yesterday and was looking in the kids section and they actually had one small four-sided rack of women's camos (not duck), but I tried on a jacket and it fit perfectly. It's on my wish list.

I feel kinda like a huntin bum when I compare my stuff to what it is out there. I wear brown waders, standard army camos bought on e-bay or hubby's hand me downs, and my long johns under for cold days with a couple pairs of wool blend socks.

I also wanted to add that I was pregnant during last year's duck season, although just had a little bump at that time. I moved up to my hubby's camo pants and still had to leave the top two bottons undone, but my waders still had enough room in them. Plus since I'm already wearing his hand me down shirts and jacket, they had plenty of room. Oh yeah, then add in having to pee every half hour from the pregnancy, I got plenty of cold butt syndrome on those trips. I think it is so cool, though, that our baby girl has been hunting since the beginning. I can't wait until she is old enough to get out there with us. I plan on it being as soon as she will sit still long enough, but that is going to be a huge problem finding gear that fits her in a couple years.

I'm trying to figure out, though, if it is totally necessary to change the camo pattern I'm using because we have never had a problem getting ducks in with what I'm wearing now. I must blend in just fine. It's kinda a mixed color area where we hunt. We have the dark water, our blind is dead cat tails with some mud. I know hubby is thinking about getting the duck pattern clothing, but I'm just wondering why if we have never had a problem with what we use. His camo jacket matches more of our mountain forested-type area up in northern arizona, but again, he almost limits every time he goes out.

I agree with both of you, but having to pee just isn't as easy for us as the guys, especially when the blind is in the middle of a body of water and when friends come with. Not as bad if it is just family. I can't believe they make that deal that only the crotch opens. Great idea for sure. I remember when I went marlin fishing in Mexico and it was just me, a guy friend from high school, and the charter capt and first mate. We went out for 8 hours and the only potty available was this little port-a-potty that was at the front of the boat with no privacy. I purposely drank nothing the night before or that morning and held it as long as I could until I just couldn't wait any longer and then all the guys had to look the other way. It's like this huge ordeal for us when men can just whip it out whereever. Urggh.

NorCal Cazadora - Thanks again for the great blog. I will have to check out all the links. Do you hunt other birds, as well?
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:24 pm

:rofl:

LOL re fitting in the waders pregnant!

And re the camo, honestly, if it works, why worry? I think the importance of most camo is way overblown, and it matters more to us than to the animals. I love watching deer hunting shows on TV where guys are suited up in camo that blends perfectly with the woods they're in, and then they wear a plain orange vest that breaks up that pretty pattern. Then they kill deer.

I'm with you about the boat thing too. I've been lucky on my fishing adventures - there've been tiny little bathrooms on my ocean boats, and my other fishing trips have been on rivers where it was pretty easy to jump out. Even when it's that convenient, though, I purposely dehydrate myself to minimize hassle.

And thanks for the kind words about the blog! I do hunt pheasant and turkey. I've hunted (but not hit) dove. I hope to try grouse and quail too. But duck hunting is No. 1 for me, no doubt. I don't sit around work getting distracted by the idea of flushing pheasants. But the idea of ducks doing that flippy thing when they're about to land can send me into a really unproductive reverie.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Naturegirl » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Dove I did well with this year, much better than last. You'd think I could hit a duck easier than a dove, but not yet. I've gotta work on leading them better and not getting so excited when one flies in.

Quail, on the other hand, are much harder than dove or duck. Their flying pattern is not predictable at all. I only had a few shots this year so far on quail and missed them all. Plus you don't get to see them flying in like duck or dove, they just shoot up from under a bush or tree, so by the time I get shouldered my shot is harder because they are that much farther away.

All with time... I can't wait for the day I bag em like my hubby (or my son for that matter).
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:45 am

Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I'm starting to get better this year (my third season), but nothing's automatic or easy yet.

The best advice I've gotten - the one thing that makes a consistent difference in my shooting - is to practice mounting the gun at home in front of the mirror every day. With the gun unloaded and your finger nowhere near the trigger, raise the gun, mount, then aim it right at your shooting eye in the mirror - it should be dead on. If it's not, adjust as needed.

And try doing that practice in your bulky hunting clothes, not your PJs.

When I do this consistently, I shoot better. When I don't, I waste a lot of "warmup shots" at the refuge while I remind myself how to do it correctly. :thumbsdown:
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 am

I'll second practicing your gun mount. It's helped me quite a bit, though there's still a very long way to go. There really is something about muscle memory though.

As for the type of camo clothes, my husband just wears drab greens and browns and I always wear my Mossy Oak BU turkey jacket, cause that's what I have. IMHO, remaining still is much more important than the type of camo that one uses. I wear a mix match of whatever I can get for good prices too Naturegirl. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Holly:

Your blog is great - I could have used that 14 years ago when I got stuck wearing my dh xxl camo coat and FILs extra tall waders, and my dh telling me he wasn't cold what was my problem, almost stopped me from going out again.

I do have a couple of my own tips - hope you don't mind.

The waders - had a "lady" at Cabelas help me with that one. I have a a pair of Men's 5 mm (the ladies only come in 3mm) neoprene stocking foot waders - now here is the trick she sold me the "Stout" size, I am only 5'5" and lets just call me strong size wise. Boy oh boy, one pair of fleece socks and I'm good to go. Highly recommend trying these for warmth.

I just got a new hat for myself - also Cabelas, it's the old style Elmer Fudd hat with the flip down ear flaps, but it has a regular cap brim great for the hat lamp, not the short one, and the chin strap is not scratchy, it doesn't slide down, and flipped up I think it looks too bad, and it's warm out on the bay, never had cold ears or cheeks.

And the not so nice topic of peeing on the duck boat. Ok I have given up caring what the guys think I tell them to turn their back, and will hang my big cold white hiney over the edge under any conditions, but I never dig for tp anymore I wear a panty liner and don't get wet drawers (from drip drying) anymore. I just take it off as soon as I get back to shore or the truck if I am field hunting.

Hope this helps anyone, I am review everyone else tips to use next time out which I hope is this weekend.

Leslie
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Ah, yes, the pantiliner trick! I do the same thing, whether duck hunting or hog hunting. It's not as good as a fistful of nice, soft two-ply, but it gets the job done.

Interesting, re the waders: When I went to Cabela's with some duck hunter girlfriends last month, they had great waders with velcro straps (hipwaders with boots), but only in 5mm! I actually need 3mm, because it's just not that cold here.

If you send me a link to your hat on the Cabela's website, I'll add that to the blog.

I should probably mention the pantiliner thing too...

Glad you persevered! This is the biggest thing I coach men on: We get colder than you do. That and understanding our pee issues :-)
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Hog hunting, that would be interesting. I'll keep trying for the turkeys I think.

Cabelas' is pretty good, and they do help you if you ask. Bass Pro is off the list, I can't even find a warm pair of long johns for ladies their, all they have are the pink waffle things - I asked once where they were in the store and when I could finally get someone to help me they sent me to the men's dept., I filled out a comment card for that.

Here is the hat I am loving right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I just wore out my 1st pair of boot foot waders this year, they were red balls and the 3mm, perfect for the blue bird days. I am looking for a replacement pair to add to my xmas list. Already have a new gun case I want.

But I needed the 5mm for the really cold ones, like this weekend, low 40's with rain and snow mix. My feet turn to frozen stumps standing on the metal bottom jon boats, or laying in the layout boat and not moving.

I bring about six pairs of gloves, 1 for the beginning, 1 to shoot with, one to fish the dog out of the water, one to haul in the anchor, one to pick up the dekes, and one to go back in with and a couple spares. They get so wet.

Again great blog, I will be watching that.
Leslie
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:00 pm

I have heard bad things about Bass Pro - from someone who works there. There's a new one that just opened 77 miles from me, and I probably won't make a special trip there. If I'm in the neighborhood, I'll check it out.

I'll check out that hat!

-Holly

P.S. Thanks about the blog!
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:56 am

Bass Pro definately caters to fishermen from what I can tell. Hence, there name I suppose. I doubt they have much for women waterfowlers, but my cold weather hunting jacket and bibs are their Redhead brand and they work okay. I did have a snap break on one of the jacket pockets and the bibs are a bit large, but I bought them on ebay so I'm still happy with 'em. They'll be great for deer season at least.

And x3 on the pantiliner. I use that method quiet often.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Re: Helping women gear up for duck hunting

Postby ArkDuckGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 pm

I started duck hunting with my boyfriend last year. In our area we hunt out in the middle of rice fields where there is nothing to hide behind when nature calls. Almost every time I was the only girl in the blind and I just couldn't bring myself to drop my drawers with all those guys right there. Plus it is really hard to drop your waders and then your pants and then squat to pee in a flooded rice field. The only alternative was to walk back to the truck which was a really long ways through water. After a few trips of suffering trying to hold it in and/or walking back to the truck and missing some great action I finally came up with a new idea. I went to the store and got a package of adult sized diapers and I wear one under my clothes each time I go out. I have never had an uncomfortable situation since and I don't have to worry about exposing myself to the guys.
ArkDuckGirl
Newb

Postby jazzey » Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Wow, cool. I never thought about the idea of using two slits :rolleyes: :no:
jazzey
Newb

Postby boydantrim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:18 am

Hi... I had gone through your link provided. It's great. The blog is very nice, it contains lot of useful information. Thanks for sharing.
boydantrim
Newb

Return to Outdoors Women Forum