L.L. Bean Drops Fur Products

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

L.L. Bean Drops Fur Products

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 am

I saw this on the trapping forums I am a member of. We should all email L.L. Bean and spread this around. I myself haven't bought much from them, but if the anti's get a foothold there, then they will get one in other places as well. I sent my email, now others need to do the same.

For decades, my family has ordered from them, everything from their classic sheerling lined rubber toed leather boots, to monogramed bookbags, to doggy beds.

However, lately, we've watched their selection of natural goods, fur and shearling to be specific, dwindle to near non-existant, with this year's christmas catalog only offering two selections of real fur products. One shearling slipper, and one rabbit bomber hat.

I called them and asked if they had any real fur, and the woman on the phone informed me that it was not socially acceptable, and that they only offered rabbit with the mad bomber hat because the animal could be raised domestically, eaten and then the fur used. When I said that's what happens with wild caught fur, she explained that I was uninformed and needed to change my outlook on the fur industry.

I was stunned, hurt, almost like I had lost a friend. L.L. Bean, like Eddie Bauer, where I had bought so many of my warm hunting clothes, my father had bought his, and my grandfather had bought his, has suddenly turned against the very people who gave them their start.

I encourange all of you to call, write, what have you to L.L. Bean and ask for REAL AMERICAN WILD FUR to be included in their catalog offerings, or we will NOT Be purchasing from them in the future. This is how PETA gets them to drop their selection of wild fur, by bombarding them with emails and threats of dropping their patronage. But truth be known, they never purchase from L.L. Bean. Let's show them that our great numbers, of ACTUAL PATRONS, can be lost because they do not understand nor appreciate what wild fur really offers.

Pity the Olsen Twins are being bombarded for their excellent fashion taste at this same time...

800-441-5713
L.L.Bean Inc.
PO Box 1205
Albany, NY 12201-1205
USA

On their website, you CAN email them through a form.

http://www.llbean.com/customerService/c ... popup.html

VP Email address: bmarkee@llbean.com

The sad sad thing is that their own Hunting and Fishing Department hotline had NO IDEA that this was the kind of stuff being said on their main number, and were completely abashed by it. They are really good people at the Hunting and Fishing department, and can you imagine being part of a department where the main number calls you unethical and cruel? VOICE YOUR OPINIONS! Go get 'em!
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Here is what I sent them.

Hello, I am just writing you a note to let you know that I am disappointed that you are dropping you line of fur and sheared fur products in favor of non biodegradable products which are made from petroleum, and other synthetic products, which are environmentally unfriendly from start to finish. I have bought shirts and pack boots from you folks in the past but as you no longer support the eco friendly/renewable resource, fur industry, which I am apart of, I feel that my money should be spent at a place that reciprocates my support of their industry. Sincerely Greg Wile

btw, thanks for posting this, if you don't mind I will copy it and post it on some of the other sites I belong to.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 pm

That's fine Greg. That's why I posted it on here, so people could share it. I sent something along those same lines and this is what they sent me:

Dear Mr. Bumbalough,

Thank you for contacting L.L.Bean. We do sell real fur products. Our
customer service representatives can give you the names of real fur
products we sell.

We try to appeal to all our customers by providing both natural and
synthetic products in our diverse product line.

L.L.Bean sells many products that are made using different animal
by-products - leather (deer, calf, lamb, cow, bison, elk and kangaroo),
goose down and feathers, cashmere, silk, and wool. In addition, we sell
hundreds of products made from synthetic materials. Our customers
appreciate the choice.

L.L. Bean is a 96-year-old Maine company that specializes in offering
products and expertise to our customers who enjoy a variety of outdoor
activities. Our company founder, Mr. "L.L." Bean, was an avid
outdoorsman whose first product, the Maine Hunting Shoe, was designed to
help hunters and fishers keep their feet dry.

L.L. Bean was founded on the Maine outdoor traditions of hunting,
fishing, and camping. We have expanded our product line over the years
to include many more outdoor recreational activities such as
cross-country skiing, biking and kayaking. However, our customers still
look to us to provide quality products, service and expertise that
support the traditional pursuits of hunting and fishing we consider
integral to our heritage and product line. At L.L.Bean, we believe that
hunters and fishermen are among the most committed conservationists in
our country.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. You are a valued
customer and we hope to be of service to you in the future.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Beem
Manager, Public Affairs

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

Preacher1011 wrote:L.L.Bean sells many products that are made using different animal
by-products - leather (deer, calf, lamb, cow, bison, elk and kangaroo),
goose down and feathers, cashmere, silk, and wool.

Too bad it sounds like mostly farm raised stuff.
Thanks for posting, I'll have to shoot them a letter soon. We've bought from them in the past, looks like that may change.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 pm

I got the same "Form Letter"

Sent: November 5, 2008 9:10:02 AM
To: gregwile

Dear Mr. Wile, Thank you for contacting L.L.Bean. We do sell real fur products. Ourcustomer service representatives can give you the names of real furproducts we sell. We try to appeal to all our customers by providing both natural andsynthetic products in our diverse product line. I understand yourconcerns with synthetic materials. L.L.Bean sells many products that are made using different animalby-products - leather (deer, calf, lamb, cow, bison, elk and kangaroo),goose down and feathers, cashmere, silk, and wool. In addition, we sellhundreds of products made from synthetic materials. Our customersappreciate the choice. L.L. Bean is a 96-year-old Maine company that specializes in offeringproducts and expertise to our customers who enjoy a variety of outdooractivities. Our company founder, Mr. "L.L." Bean, was an avidoutdoorsman whose first product, the Maine Hunting Shoe, was designed tohelp hunters and fishers keep their feet dry. L.L. Bean was founded on the Maine outdoor traditions of hunting,fishing, and camping. We have expanded our product line over the yearsto include many more outdoor recreational activities such ascross-country skiing, biking and kayaking. However, our customers stilllook to us to provide quality products, service and expertise thatsupport the traditional pursuits of hunting and fishing we considerintegral to our heritage and product line. At L.L.Bean, we believe thathunters and fishermen are among the most committed conservationists inour country. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. You are a valuedcustomer and we hope to be of service to you in the future. Sincerely, Carolyn BeemManager, Public Affairs
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:31 pm

I sent them one back today that said by-products and synthetic materials aren't the same as the real thing. And that They have sold out to the polititians and anti's. I also said I wouldn't buy anything from people who would turn their backs on the customer base that gave them their beginnings.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 am

I would like to post what I wrote, and their response. How do I do that?
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:48 pm

Just post a reply.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:44 pm

:huh: LL Bean is over rated anyways. Add this to them and I wont be buying anythig from them and neither will anyone else I know.

Thanks for the info
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum