Duck decoy setup

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Duck decoy setup

Postby TGsupermag21 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 am

I mainly hunt geese in the fields, i have never hunted ducks in the field but i saw near a thousand migrators this weekend. How do you set up duck decoys with your goose decoys? I usually stick to the "u" pattern. Thanks in advance.
TGsupermag21
hunter

Postby RBwaterfowler 2 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 am

Good question...that I don't have the answer to. But I am mixing geese and field ducks as well. No dog, no boat, so I can walk to kills.

As I understand the geese will NOT fly over ducks to land, also I believe the geese want to be farther from ANY cover, trees, high weeds that may cover predators.

Hope this helps a bit? At least til someone truly knowledgable chimes in. :help:
RBwaterfowler 2
hunter

Postby c_nic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Rarely will I ever hunt with both duck and goose decoys. Buth seem to be a little weary to either of the opposite species. With geese I make an X with a layout blinds in the bottom part of the x and a few decoys on the right or left. Or with late season birds I will make a U shape but with using groups of decoys like two or three right close together. I have also noticed that geese are really weary to a mojo duck decoy.
c_nic
Newb

decoys

Postby getdowncoverup » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:46 am

i feel it all depends how many decoys you have. i use a spread with a lot of variety in it. full bodies (ghg, dave smith, hidgon, hardcore) real geese (4 doz.) higdon wobblers (2 doz.) and hardcore mallards (2 1/2 doz.)

i typically make my spread into an L to cut birds off from skirting me to the side, with a couple of family parties opposite the long end to also make a pocket. i use my hardcore mallards only in the pocket up front of the blinds. i dont mix them in with my spread throughout. i find that this works excellent and doesn't startle geese whatsoever.

realize that hunting mallards in fields is easy though. if you have geese decoys out, you dont really need the mallards. if your a decent caller and are scouting your fields for one that mallards want to use, they will come in by the boatload with no decoys.
Everything I Earn I Burn, And Everything I Own Is On Loan.
getdowncoverup
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting