Outdoor Gal & MI

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: LadyK, Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora

Outdoor Gal & MI

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Do you deer hunt too?

I only hunt birds, but dh will be gone for deer opener.

Where in MI are you located?

We hunt a lot on Saginaw Bay.

Anyone else from MI?

Leslie

[/img]
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:18 am

Yay! Another Michigander! :yes: :welcome:

I live over on the west side in Grand Rapids. And yeah, I'm afraid I do deer hunt. That's what started my hunting experience, unless you count attempting to shoot squirrels when I was 12-14. :rofl: I enjoy deer hunting, though duck hunting has quickly surpassed it on "the list". It's kind of tradition to go out with my dad to the family farm in Montcalm Co., hope for a buck and knock a doe or two down during opening day. My husband and his family take their yearly trip up to 'da UP for deer season. Man, if we didn't virtually live on venison the rest of the year, I'd be so up for a trip duck hunting during deer season.

I've never hunted the east side of the state or bigger water. What is it like hunting the bay? We normally hunt smaller ponds and potholes over here.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Well good luck next weekend - I hope you get a "big" one :rofl:

The pot holes are fun - I like those too, we just found a new lake nearby that is good during the week, but there must be 7 permanent blinds on it, so I hate to see it opening weekend.

But ohhh hunting the Bay - the birds just move and move, and there is such a variety. Last week dh and I had off, we met a friend who is doing some guiding up there and has a layout boat, my 1st experience. Blue skies, not much wind, but I shot a box of shells (I'm still learning how to shoot from a layout), two mornings in a row - and that was only during my time in the layout and my gun was jamming. The birds fly so fast, mallards, redheads, buffies, teal, ringnecks, bluebills, megansers, saw some cans, even had some scoters come in. And it wasn't even a really good hunting day.

DH and FIL love to field hunt geese, and I enjoy that. I do love the spring turkey hunting too, and nothing is better than chasing the dogs in the field all day after pheasant, but the ducks on the Bay just give me a thrill like nothing else. My shooting is a bit out of practice , but I love nothing more than unloading my gun at some ducks, time after time. To be fair it might be just that I love shooting my gun - my dh calls me "shoot'em up" - my new nick name.

The wind, the big splashy boat rides, peeling out of the waders at the end of the day, the waves, the ducks, the way the decoys float, the way McD's tastes on the ride home, the dogs smell fresh and love to jump in the water. I wish I was younger and could last all day or more than 2 days in a row and I need a 2 day nap, but I do love it.

Love to hook up sometime, we are in Brighton, but I do understand about deer season.

Leslie
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks Leslie! My only buck so far was a goofy looking 4-point. But we're meat hunters when it comes to deer, so a rack is just a bonus. :wink:

Oh wow! Yeah, we've been pretty lucky so far during opening days and have found some out of the way spots, but it took a lot of scouting and some work to get back into.

Man, a mixed bag like that would be awesome! The hubby shot his first teal today, otherwise we always end up with mallards, wood ducks, or geese, and the random rare diver. Curse those jams, right? Mine jammed up badly on the opener, talk about frustrating. Turns out it REALLY doesn't like Black Cloud. What kind of gun are you shooting?

I've only been pheasant hunting once, actually in Brown City at a BOW event. It was so much fun, and I could get hooked, but there just aren't wild ringnecks in any sort of numbers near us. Joe and I were invited to a tower shoot later this month but it's $180 a person. Ouch! Yeah, I don't think we can swing that right before the holidays. :eek:

We'll definately have to hook up for a couple of hunts at some point! I can't believe we're already halfway through the season. :sad:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Hey Black Clouds, that's what I was using. But when we got home dh looked at my gun and it was so dirty he couldn't believe I was even able to get one shell out.

It's a Beretta 12ga semi AL390 with a 26" barrel, one of the older models, I've had it for years, it is so well balanced and with the shorter barrel easier for me to carry for long periods and to raise to shoot.

What do you have?

Brown City, I bet you were at Farmland Pheasant Hunters, and got to meet Preston Mann? We used to go there all the time (when we had money). If you look at his website and brochure you will see a picture of me and my friend Maggie one of the only women hunter pictures he has. I love Preston and Farmland, we used to have a hunt ever year for our HRC club there. Great hunting for a day, nice treat, I was thinking instead of dh and I getting xmas presents to each other we may go for a pheasant hunt instead.

What is BOW? Is that something you do every year?

I don't know why I just can't get excited about deer season, dh does and I don't really care for venison. I do understand everyone's enthusiasm, I love hearing personal stories, but TV and Big Buck Night on MI OutofDoors boors me to tears. I will snap pics of any dead deer someone has shot, but I just can't get excited about Bambi. I just stick with the birds for now, maybe one day I'll try it. Besides dh is out of the house for a couple of days and I have to admit I enjoy that time too. He likes to hunt deer and wouldn't trade his couple of days, but the following weekend he always wants to go back to the ducks. Too funny.

Do you hunt deer for the entire season or switch back and forth? Do you hunt turkey too?
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 am

duckgirl123 wrote:Hey Black Clouds, that's what I was using. But when we got home dh looked at my gun and it was so dirty he couldn't believe I was even able to get one shell out.

It's a Beretta 12ga semi AL390 with a 26" barrel, one of the older models, I've had it for years, it is so well balanced and with the shorter barrel easier for me to carry for long periods and to raise to shoot.

What do you have?

Really, I was shooting an AL390 as well. We compared the BC shells with some Xpert shells and they were visibly larger in diameter. Maybe it was a bad batch of shells or something. :huh:

Do you have the wood version or synthetic and did you have the stock shortened? After a lot of trial and error we've determined that I need a stock probably an inch shorter than factory standard. As well as one with a much higher comb. The comb is the easy part, I can always just put a pad on it. I've been debating between spending more money on getting the stock cut down to fit me on my Beretta, or maybe just buying a cheap youth model "beater" gun like a Mossy 500 or 870.

Brown City, I bet you were at Farmland Pheasant Hunters, and got to meet Preston Mann? We used to go there all the time (when we had money). If you look at his website and brochure you will see a picture of me and my friend Maggie one of the only women hunter pictures he has. I love Preston and Farmland, we used to have a hunt ever year for our HRC club there. Great hunting for a day, nice treat, I was thinking instead of dh and I getting xmas presents to each other we may go for a pheasant hunt instead.

That looks like a really nice preserve! Although I couldn't find the picture. :( We hunted a place call Pheasant Ridge if I remember correctly. It was last March and it was cold! A front had moved through so it was about 20 out with 20mph winds. I ended up wearing my ski jacket, because I knew it would cut the wind. lol. It sure made for some interesting shooting!

What is BOW? Is that something you do every year?

Becoming an Outdoorswoman.http://www.uwsp.edu/CNR/bow/ or http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html It's a program designed for women and they work with the Michigan DNR. The hunt I went on was an all woman's hunt, it was lots of fun. Women in the Outdoors is another similar program that offers workshops and things. I've gone to events sponsored by both organizations. http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/?SUBSITE=wito

I don't know why I just can't get excited about deer season, dh does and I don't really care for venison. I do understand everyone's enthusiasm, I love hearing personal stories, but TV and Big Buck Night on MI OutofDoors boors me to tears. I will snap pics of any dead deer someone has shot, but I just can't get excited about Bambi. I just stick with the birds for now, maybe one day I'll try it. Besides dh is out of the house for a couple of days and I have to admit I enjoy that time too. He likes to hunt deer and wouldn't trade his couple of days, but the following weekend he always wants to go back to the ducks. Too funny.

Do you hunt deer for the entire season or switch back and forth? Do you hunt turkey too?

I hear you on getting bored of the big buck night's. Sure I'd like to shoot something bigger than the 4-point I got a few years ago, but I'm not obsession over it. :wink: Deer hunting was pretty much my intro to hunting (other than a little squirrel hunting) so it's kind of a tradition to go out opening day to my grandpa's farm with dad and my uncles. There's a ton of deer there, and so there's usually a pretty good chance I'll at least take a doe. My father-in-law is pretty much obsessed with knocking down about 10 deer to fill the freezer and my husband and the rest of his family are heading to the UP for the opening week. I went up there last year over Thanksgiving, but I'd rather hunt the farm. I can see over 50 deer in a day, some may be 1/2 mile away or on neighboring property, but at least it's something to watch. Up north I sat in a blind all day, staring at the same few cedar boughs and watching the chickadees. Boring... :rofl:

The hubby has decided that deer hunting is a chore, but it has to be done, so we're hoping we'll each do well the opening week and then get back to the fun of waterfowling as quickly as possible.

And yes, I turkey hunted for the first time the past spring and was majorly hooked! I missed one on the opening day and on the last day of the season I had a huge tom come within range, but he of course came in on the side we weren't expecting him too, so I had to try switching my gun to my left shoulder and then I couldn't get a bead on him. Buy the time I realized I had to close my right eye and use my left to shoot left-handed he spooked and got out of there way too fast. It was an awesome experience though. I'm hoping for one this year!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:19 pm

I have the wood version. No I don't have a shorter stock, but sometimes think maybe that would help my shooting a bit. I do have to remember to hold my left hand farther up/out to balance my shots more - I really notice that I have been forgetting the last time out in the layout boat - I'm shooting under the birds - not getting the lift I need - something to work on next time.

Oh yes pheasant hunting in March and trying to shoot all bundled up. I've hunted like that too - it starts out really fun, but by the end of the day you are dragging so bad - you practically need the next day off.

OMG turkey hunting - what is it, hunting after the winter, that's it's warmer out, I'm not sure. I haven't gotten a bird in a couple of years but this year I truly have some stories. DH and I hunted together the 1st hunt and I was supposed to have the 1st shot, he got 2 toms to come across a wheat field they never flinched - they were right in front of me I was waiting for the 1st bird to move so dh and I could shoot at the same time - BAM!!! dh shot - he was yelling at me "why didn't you shoot" - I yelled back "why DID you shoot", omg I started laughing he got the fever so bad and was just shaking.

Another time he took his Dad with him and dropped me off at the same field - I was going to get one of those toms - I sat and sat heard the birds go out of the other side of the woods, sat some more - got up to move, there was a bird behind me - crap - I moved back peeked my nose into the wheat field and there were 4 coming towards my deke - crap - sat back down again, 2 came into range so beautiful - shot and missed. I will be back to that same spot next spring.

Sounds like the farm hunt is better than sitting and watching chickadees he-he!

I was talking to the boss at work today and he is so excited to go out this weekend (we took him out goose hunting one day this year - we had an excellent day for getting birds) that I could hardly get out of his office, he could talk hunting all day - too funny.

DH's b-day is opening day - every year he asks if I'm planning a party for him - oh yeah right come on over for Eriks b-day he may or may not be here, depending if he gets a deer or not.

I'll be going out for ducks with his best friend who doesn't hunt deer - we may do a field hunt since the birds are moving again after this weather - dh got a few mallards and said they should be feeding like crazy in the fields. The friend is so so at backing up the boat trailer and I totally suck at it - so we may just go to a local field or a local lake and only take the 16' jon boat out. I also have the 3 dogs by myself - so taking them all with mel for a long day is too much work for just myself - local it is. That's ok I get a nice quiet house to myself too, 2 dogs in bed to warm me up at night. Sleeping in one day doesn't sound too bad either.

Here is the website for Farmland, it's a great place and he has farms all over. Let me know if you ever want to go - umm like March sometime :rolleyes:
http://www.farmlandpheasant.com/index.php

Do you know how to attach picutures?
Leslie
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 am

duckgirl123 wrote:I have the wood version. No I don't have a shorter stock, but sometimes think maybe that would help my shooting a bit. I do have to remember to hold my left hand farther up/out to balance my shots more - I really notice that I have been forgetting the last time out in the layout boat - I'm shooting under the birds - not getting the lift I need - something to work on next time.

I have the "Gold Mallard" wood version. It's almost too fancy to take out, but we got it for such a great price and didn't pay anymore than one would for a plain model. I've found that I really do need the stock cut down, I'm 5'4". And to be honest I'm a little intimidated by it being an auto. It just seems more complicated and more chances of something going wrong. Although, everything I've read about the 390 is very good. I do need to do more shooting with it.

Oh yes pheasant hunting in March and trying to shoot all bundled up. I've hunted like that too - it starts out really fun, but by the end of the day you are dragging so bad - you practically need the next day off.

No kidding! I was wearing more layers than I normally do when rabbit hunting in January. That wind was a killer!

OMG turkey hunting - what is it, hunting after the winter, that's it's warmer out, I'm not sure. I haven't gotten a bird in a couple of years but this year I truly have some stories. DH and I hunted together the 1st hunt and I was supposed to have the 1st shot, he got 2 toms to come across a wheat field they never flinched - they were right in front of me I was waiting for the 1st bird to move so dh and I could shoot at the same time - BAM!!! dh shot - he was yelling at me "why didn't you shoot" - I yelled back "why DID you shoot", omg I started laughing he got the fever so bad and was just shaking.

That's great! That's like the tom that came in to my right. My brother-in-law Andy was sitting next to me calling and Joe was a bit further behind us calling as well. We had that gobbler talking to us for 30 minutes but he just wouldn't move any closer, then when he did show up it was in the worst spot possible. I had to shift me weight, so I was no longer leaning on the tree. Andy was pushing against my back to support me, my muscles were screaming. Meanwhile this tom is 30 yards away, full strut, but he would never make a full circle and turn his back. So I'm trying to
S L O W L Y move the gun to my left shoulder, then I'm squinting all over the place trying to figure out my site picture and realized I was trying to use my dominant eye, which is my right one. And then he saw us and was gone. lol. I'm going to be practicing lefthanded shooting and doing tons of stomach crunches before next turkey season. :rofl:

Another time he took his Dad with him and dropped me off at the same field - I was going to get one of those toms - I sat and sat heard the birds go out of the other side of the woods, sat some more - got up to move, there was a bird behind me - crap - I moved back peeked my nose into the wheat field and there were 4 coming towards my deke - crap - sat back down again, 2 came into range so beautiful - shot and missed. I will be back to that same spot next spring.

Sounds like the farm hunt is better than sitting and watching chickadees he-he!

I think so! lol. Joe likes his UP hunting, he just doesn't like the 7 hour drive up there. I'm going to take my shotgun up tomorrow when I set up my blind. There's a section of swamp that we jumpshot a handful of mallards on Sunday. Hopefully, there will be a few there again. And I'll have to bring my fishing pole to help retrieve one if I do drop it in the swamp. I think the muck might be as deep as the water. lol.

I was talking to the boss at work today and he is so excited to go out this weekend (we took him out goose hunting one day this year - we had an excellent day for getting birds) that I could hardly get out of his office, he could talk hunting all day - too funny.

That's too funny! I chat it up with a couple of the maintenance guys here at times, but there're all deer, deer, deer right now. lol.

DH's b-day is opening day - every year he asks if I'm planning a party for him - oh yeah right come on over for Eriks b-day he may or may not be here, depending if he gets a deer or not.

I'll be going out for ducks with his best friend who doesn't hunt deer - we may do a field hunt since the birds are moving again after this weather - dh got a few mallards and said they should be feeding like crazy in the fields. The friend is so so at backing up the boat trailer and I totally suck at it - so we may just go to a local field or a local lake and only take the 16' jon boat out. I also have the 3 dogs by myself - so taking them all with mel for a long day is too much work for just myself - local it is. That's ok I get a nice quiet house to myself too, 2 dogs in bed to warm me up at night. Sleeping in one day doesn't sound too bad either.

Good luck! Yeah, we've only hunting out of a kayak and canoe so far. We're actually thinking about investing in a couple of kayaks next summer. We do have a jon boat too, but we're not sure how seaworthy it is.

Here is the website for Farmland, it's a great place and he has farms all over. Let me know if you ever want to go - umm like March sometime :rolleyes:
http://www.farmlandpheasant.com/index.php

It looks like a really nice place! The hubby and I may be up for a pheasant hunt sometime. He's never pheasant hunted before. And I always need wingshooting practice. :wink: How much does it run a bird?

Do you know how to attach picutures?

It took me a little bit of trial and error to figure it out. Let me see if I can find a link for you. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:04 am

Rabbit hunting- do you run with dogs?

Don't think I will be going out this weekend, the winds are supposed to kick in at 20-25 mph, and thats rough on the bay, and our friend can't get out. Heard the perch were hitting good on the rivers off the bay though-might hook up with someone else for that.

We have 3 jon's, a 14', 16' and 18-1/2', the garage and basement are piled with dekes and hunting gear, we have a trailer with dekes and to hold our field blinds, we duck and goose hunt, fish, camp (not for a while), turkey hunt, dh deer hunts, ice fish, have 3 dogs, travel to MN - and never have time to organize a darn thing.

Also hence the 123, (there were 3 of us), 3 dogs, 3 boats.

Years ago when dh was being a boob I started the "if you keep it up 1 less duck hunting day for you", if he did something good he would ask how may days he earned back for his good deeds. He once acted like a boob in front of a group of friends, and I pointed and told him "one less hunting day for you duckboy"-well our friends fell over laughing and forever more dh was duckboy, mind you he weighs 200+ and looks like a viking.

Have a great weekend, let me know how you do.

Leslie
duckgirl123
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum