Good luck with the deer hunting ladies!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora, LadyK

Good luck with the deer hunting ladies!

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:06 am

Opening day in MI on Saturday - so good luck to everyone!

I'm not a deer hunter myself, but may try for some ducks or fishing depending on the wind this weekend and if I can find someone that isn't out in the woods to go with.

Be careful!
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 am

Did you get out outside at all this weekend? Those winds were brutal on Saturday. Brr...

It was an interesting opening weekend for sure. I sat until 11am in a spot where I saw 30 deer within the first 3 hours last year and didn't see one this time. I think the wind and the neighbor's still having their corn up played a large role in that. I moved down to sit with my Dad about noon where it was warmer and shared a little quality father daughter time. We saw quite a few deer later in the afternoon, but nothing was close enough. When I finally had a shot at something it was just a tiny little thing. It fed for about 1/2 hour 40 yards from us, while we were talking and everything else. It got a free pass. ;)

I went back yesterday and moved around a bit more. I had to pack up the blinds and stuff and then I sat near the woods. I watched a group of deer feeding, for a bout 2 hours between a bunch of trees, but they were a touch out of range, but I had found a gap between two trees and I had told myself that the first thing that walked between that gap beneath a branch (it was about a 150 yard shot) that I'd take the shot. Thankfully it was a nice big doe. I hit her in the neck and she dropped where she stood. I'm always very thankful when they die instantly like that. I've been really lucky so far. I've only had two deer run on me since I started hunting. And I know it's not because of skill. I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good! :rofl:

Right after the doe, I watched a little 6-point come up and sniff her multiple times. I had a shot at him more than once, but I just couldn't do pull the trigger on him for some reason. I'm never going to hear the end of it from my husband's family when they get back from deer camp. :tongue:

Next year is looking good though. We saw 6 different 4 & 6-point bucks (two of the 6-points were harvested), and at least 8 button bucks. Not as many big does around, but I'm guessing that was because of the early doe season this year. My uncle shot a hawg of doe though she was HUGE and mine is definately good sized. She's bigger than the one I shot last year.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 am

Hey congrats on your deer. Dh got his 8 point Sat morning.

I opted to potter around the house, it rained and blew all day on Saturday here, so I was glad. We had snow on Sunday and it sure was blowing pretty good.

Hope to get out this weekend if dh stops arguing and whining with me about everything else. :mad:

Just one of those weeks.

Have get ready for the family dinner on Thursday. Serving up FIL's first turkey might be tricky as it was pretty shot up, will bring some laughs for dinner though, and might have to supplement with a store bought breast this year. Hope no one breaks a tooth on shot we missed on the cleaning.

Dh & friends saw about 80 turkeys in the woods on Saturday alone, hmmm new hunting spot in the spring. They wished they were all deer. Surprising they saw mostly does, and dh's buck was on the smaller side, but just right for our freezer.

Will you be back out in the woods this weekend. Are the ponds on the west side frozen over yet?
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Good luck this weekend! I hope you can get out. We were hoping to duck hunt tomorrow, but with everything freezing we may end up back at the deer hunting. The hubby and I still have our buck tags and I have another doe tag left. We really wanted to duck hunt, but Joe went out with his dad this morning and all that was left in the area was geese, and of course right now we have that darn break in the season and can't shoot them. He's on his way to scout out a couple of lakes and we'll make our final decision based on what he finds.

Last weekend would have been awesome hunting. Darn that deer season! :rofl: I took the day off yesterday to help butcher deer and we got 11 deer done in a day and half. We were flying. A couple of those were pretty small though and three of the deer were a family friends'.

The turkey sounds tasty! Just tell eveyone to take very small bites and chew carefully. lol. It's like when we eat rabbit, it's not unusual to find a BB or two. We keep telling our friend he REALLY doesn't need to use 12g, 3" magnums on bunnies. :rofl:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:45 am

That's a lot of deer to process - wow!

I did stay home yesterday, too cold for me. Dh and friends had to sledge hammer ice for 1 hour at a local lake and couldn't get to open water, went to another lake, there were 5 other trailers in the lot and had to chip more ice, finally got out and got set up and saw 1 duck that was too high and had already been educated.
Guess I didn't miss anything and I got the laundry done.

The water into the Bay is frozen too so that's out now too. Unless we get a warm up this week and wind. Cross your fingers.

May try to hit Bass Pro Shop on Turkey Day they open up at 8 am, get some deals and come home and cook.
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 am

Yeah, it looks like waterfowling is pretty much over for us over here. The guys tried breaking ice on Friday morning (I had to work) and no luck at all, the ducks were gone from the area. We decided to sleep in for the first Saturday in 6 weeks and then did a bit more deer hunting Saturday afternoon. I should of had another doe, but I had dozed off and woke up to three deer practically in bow range. Of course my gun was propped in the corner of the blind and my coat was making noise everytime I tried to move. After 20 minutes of inching my way to the gun and freezing every time their heads came up, they decided to slip back into the woods. Oh well. :rofl: We'll be back up there a couple times this weekend, to see if I can maybe fill that last doe tag.

I did have a flock of 50 turkeys surround my blind too, they were literally 15 feet from it, the whole flock walked by. Man one of those tom's had the longest beard I'd ever seen. We might have to target him come spring. ;)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 am

Too funny! I hope you weren't drooling. :lol:

Have you ever shot a duck or goose with jewlery?

I never have. I don't care so much about the jewlery, but
I would love to shoot a nice drake pintail one of these years.
Oh and a woody. One of my hunting goals.

We have a friend with a shorthair pup, who can't wait
to try her on a first pheasant hunt after the new year, I'm already
excited about that, it's been so many years.

Will you be out in the woods this weekend?
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 am

My hubby wants a nice pintail drake to mount too. Although, he shot his first GW teal this season and now he really wants one mounted. They are awfully pretty. Do you not shoot very many wood ducks where you hunt? We get into a lot of woodies, but we hunt a lot of backwater and beaver ponds. Seriously, if you want a chance at a wood duck let me know next season, maybe you can make a drive to this side of the state. :thumbsup:

As for jewelry I'd never even seen a band, until I noticed one on a hen mallard while I was eating lunch at the park the other day. It was sitting right next to my car. lol. It would be awesome to get one someday, but I don't hold out any great hopes. I'm just happy to shoot a duck or two a season.

Do you think you'll try hunting this weekend? Or is everything pretty much frozen there too? We did hear of some bluebills and redheads on a lake that wasn't quite frozen nearby, but we just don't have the boat for it. So yep, back to deer hunting at the farm. The hubby is going to pick up a doe tag and we'll see if we can knock a couple more deer down. The farm gets so much deer damage it's unbelievable. Who knows, maybe I'll get a chance at a nice buck. I did see a nice big guy last Saturday, except he only had one side of his rack so he was only a 4-point. lol. Big-bodied deer though.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:31 am

Everything is pretty much frozen, maybe the little bit of rain we had last night with a little warm up will open things up a little, we are supposed to get 40 mph winds this weekend too. That and a little warmer air should move the ice a little - we are due for a warm up after all this freaking snow.

We have to do some scouting, but may get in a field hunt for some geese with a few friends. Maybe dh can scout a little on Thursday am - guess no Bass Pro Shop.

Maybe you will get that Thanksgiving buck to come into range.
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am

How's the hunting over there?

I think we're about wrapped up both with both waterfowl and deer now. I still have a private land doe tag, that I may try to fill in the late anterless deer season, but I feel no urge too. lol. It's time to start thinking Christmas and putting my house back in order after not being home for two months. :rofl:

We're taking a trip down to Tennessee right after New Year's to hunt Kentucky Lake, so I DO want to do a lot of skeet shooting between now and then. I want to be able to hit something, since we're paying for a guide. :tongue:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:01 am

Totally time to get some xmas shopping done.

We may try to go out this weekend once, will be the limit though, as dh would try to go out every minute to get out of xmas shopping decisions. :rofl:
duckgirl123
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum