trash bags as decoys ??

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

trash bags as decoys ??

Postby colemanhuntsducks » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:30 pm

so im going on my first snow goose hunt and i dont have a bunch of money to spend on rags or fancy full body decoys . i was wondering if i could get by on 100 or so white trash bags and stakes from home depot and will it be effective should i use black spray paint to simulate the black wing tips thanks in advance for any help

coleman
colemanhuntsducks
hunter

Postby CCducker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:35 am

The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby colemanhuntsducks » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:45 am

thanks ccducker i plan on getting some texas rags for next season if all goes well but i need something fast as im goiing snow goose hunting any day now and was looking for something ultra cheap easy to set up an effective the nearest cabelas is 100 miles aways but we do have a sportsmans warehouse does anyone know if they would have anything like that?
colemanhuntsducks
hunter

Postby DonaldDuck » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:48 pm

pick up the phone to call and ask if they carry some. But to answer your question yeah those white bags will work, that's basically all a texas rag is. I have a definition of a real "texas rag" but I don't think this is the right place to post up! :oops:
What do you call a dog with no legs?
Don't matter what you call him, he ain't never gonna come!
DonaldDuck
hunter

Postby SoreFinger » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:06 pm

yes the bags will work, heck my dad used paperplates back in the day. Maybe stuff them with newspaper or something. Don't worry about the black paint, it really doesnt matter.
SoreFinger
hunter

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:56 am

I am a broke college student, and i am in your same situation, i have used plastic grocery bags on sticks and the geese came, snows are smart, and have good eyes, but they sure do love to see a lot of white:) the more white u can have the better
"If it hops it drops, if it flys it dies"
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby DUJUNKIE » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:26 pm

rags would work if they are not pressured so much but my best advice would be buy some rags then slowly start building a spread of full bodies the rags can and will rip if you got a good wind and when i first started years ago we used rags but as times change the birds change we are hunting a whole different bird these days
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Re:

Postby dollid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am

DUJUNKIE wrote:rags would work if they are not pressured so much but my best advice would be buy some rags then slowly start building a spread of full bodies the rags can and will rip if you got a good wind and when i first started years ago we used rags but as times change the birds change we are hunting a whole different bird these days

Hi,
I need to buy some plastic bags(carry bags & trash bags) in bulk - around
500 pieces of each. :huh:
dollid
Newb

Re: trash bags as decoys ??

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I remember years back when a very unusual occurence happened in Ohio,,, snows! big flocks in cornfields around Lancaster and Amanda.I was working in a grocery store and 2 guys came in all excited and asking about toilet paper they bought nearly a case ,,,to wind off a handfull and layout a snow goose ''decoys''. It worked!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Re: trash bags as decoys ??

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 am

I tried some of the texas rags for a couple years but they were so noisy when the wind picked up they were flaring birds before they got close. I know windsock make some noise too but not nearly as bad as plastic rags............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum