Teal Questions?

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Teal Questions?

Postby BFOX » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:57 am

What is the best decoy setup for teal if im hunting the backwaters on T.bend ?
BFOX
hunter

Postby bw44 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 am

8-15 mallard HEN decoys..........if you have some teal decoys, it won't hurt to use them, but it isn't a must. The premise here is that the teal will think your dekes are resident mallards, that tend to group-up in broods this time of year.

I usually scatter my teal dekes, 16 or so fairly tight w/ a few loose were I want em to land and set my hen mallard dekes (again, fairly tight) on the opposite side........leaving a open area for them to land.

Just keep it simple......and watch out for the rainbow teal, unless you have a tag :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
"Screw you we're from Texas.....we're from Texas, screw you." Ray Wylie Hubbard
bw44
hunter

Postby BFOX » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:23 am

ok it sounds good iv'e never hunted teal before so tell me what a rainbow teal is? :help:
BFOX
hunter

Postby bw44 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am

That would be the infamous wood duck.......of which you should be covered up w/ on Toledo B........so be careful of what you shoot at at first light. The woodies will usually come in by two's or singles.....where-as the teal will/should be in tight groups (at least until their busted up after shooting begins).

Forgot to add....I'm not a huge fan of the spinner during big-duck season, but if you've got one, it can really work the teal over. They'll try to land right on the durn thing. :thumbsup:
bw44
hunter

Postby BFOX » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:42 am

ok now we are on the same page we kill plenty of woodies , in the evening we have them landing two feet in front of us its pretty good action for about the last ten minutes of legal shooting time,where do you hunt?
BFOX
hunter

Postby bw44 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:47 am

BFOX wrote:ok now we are on the same page we kill plenty of woodies , in the evening we have them landing two feet in front of us its pretty good action for about the last ten minutes of legal shooting time,where do you hunt?

I cut my teeth duck hunting in E. Texas......mainly Rayburn and the Angelina/Neches rivers, but was a guest on Toledo a few times (not enough to know where the hell I was :)). Two of the times on Toledo were for teal, and we worked em over good.......but this has been 7-8 years ago.

Now I mainly hunt in NE texas....all over really. We'll hunt some in Oklahoma and West Texas as well.
bw44
hunter

Postby BFOX » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:57 am

I'm really just learning, we have always jump shot woodies but last year was my first time to really get into duck hunting much to my wifes distess because now i'm totally addicted.I can't get enough of it. Maybe we can make a hunt together this year i travel alot for my job but im usually home in dec.
BFOX
hunter

Postby bw44 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:03 am

BFOX wrote:I'm really just learning, we have always jump shot woodies but last year was my first time to really get into duck hunting much to my wifes distess because now i'm totally addicted.I can't get enough of it. Maybe we can make a hunt together this year i travel alot for my job but im usually home in dec.

Heck yeah.....give me shout when your up this way. I live just NE of the metromess. I've got a game warden buddy out of Lufkin who I still hunt with when I get down there. Usually end up in Nacogdoches for Thanksgiving or X-mas.....so we try hunt a time or two in our old stomping grounds.
bw44
hunter

Postby BFOX » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:25 am

Allright i'll keep in touch through the forum , we can set something up when the season gets closer , gotta get back to work now though. SeeYa
BFOX
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting