Anyone having a problem shooting the Black Cloud shells?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Anyone having a problem shooting the Black Cloud shells?

Postby duckgirl123 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:55 am

Earlier this season I was using the Black Clouds, and kept on jamming, but after looking at my Beretta I noticed the thing was pretty dirty, so cleaned it inside out.

Stuck to the Federals for a couple times, and yesterday dh gave me some more Black Clouds, shot 2 x and only got one shell off each time before jamming.

I love the Duck Commander, but his shells are off the list, I'll save my money and by more of the cheaper shells.

Anyone else having this problem?
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 am

I had a similar problem earlier in the season with Black Cloud and my 390. Opening day, I fired once, and the second shell jammed. REALLY BADLY. Later on we compared the Black Cloud shells with some Winchester Xpert. The diameter of the Black Cloud was actually a touch larger than the Xpert. Almost like it was overfilled.

The hubby shot the rest of the BC out of his over/under, but it's pretty hard to jam a double barrel. :wink:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl123 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:03 am

I told dh about your problem as well, and I gave him back all his Black Cloud shells for him to use.
duckgirl123
hunter

Black Cloud Shell problems

Postby Duckhuntergal » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:57 pm

I've been shooting two's and fours out of my Benelli M2 and having no trouble. I like them a lot.
Duckhuntergal
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:11 am

Interesting, must just the beretta.
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby Duckhuntergal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:47 pm

duckgirl123 wrote:Interesting, must just the beretta.

Is it cycling other shells still? My first thought was the gas ports. My 1187 acted up like that on high brass loads and that's when I had to give it a good soak in solvenat and brass brush it good.
Duckhuntergal
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:12 pm

When my 390 had the same problem, it cycled everything else perfectly. We went to the range and threw whatever oddball shells we had lying around. Then shot it as fast as the trigger could be pulled. The only time it jammed was with the Black Cloud.

I heard someone say that that the chambers are on the smaller side on Beretta's. I have no idea if there's any truth to it though. :shrug:

I ended up trading the 390 for a CZ Bobwhite. It was a great gun, just not for me. I just love the way side-by-sides feel. The balance is perfect for me. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Last year, the first year of the black clouds the shells are wider and longer, my mossbergs and the rest of the guns in my crew would not eject them. The new stuff is working fine.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Re: Anyone having a problem shooting the Black Cloud shells?

Postby jal31899 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Had some what the same problem and then it broke the locking bar ontop of the bolt of my 935. never had any problem with it before useing black clouds. That was last year lucky i take two guns out to hunt with. It looks like thay are filled to much with shot. The shells i have the ends are pushing out a little to much for what they need to be. I will not buy black clouds again sorry Phill. :no: :bow:
jal31899
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:20 pm

cut open a BC. theres a hole lot of powder in those bad boys. they ran really dirty and left behind flakes of powder. in gas guns this could be a problem. theyve never jammed in my M2. i like there long range capablity
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby dmurano » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:33 pm

I had an 1187 that would not shoot the BC seemed to tight for the chamber, My m2 jammed with the BC but i think the reason for the jam is because i shot a wad wizard choke that has a wad restricter in the tube that slows the wad by a nano second, and the BC has a flight restricting wad which may have changed the pressure enough to effect the cycling of the gun resulting in the jam. just a thought.
dmurano
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:23 am

dmurano wrote:I had an 1187 that would not shoot the BC seemed to tight for the chamber, My m2 jammed with the BC but i think the reason for the jam is because i shot a wad wizard choke that has a wad restricter in the tube that slows the wad by a nano second, and the BC has a flight restricting wad which may have changed the pressure enough to effect the cycling of the gun resulting in the jam. just a thought.

most people blow there barrels out by firing BC with wad strippers
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Girlyhuntin05 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm

I shot bc the other day for the first time out of my newer benelli nova and it jammed the first 2 shots out, used my federals the rest of the day with no problem.
Girlyhuntin05
Newb

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 am

Girls don't know if y'all will get mad at me for replying on her but here it goes... But black clouds are known for shooting very dirty. In fact I've heard the powder that federal uses in all their shells has the same issue just that the black clouds has more of it. I still like the black clouds very much and will still be using them. Just have to clean my gun more often.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 am

I have been shooting the Black Cloud Snow Goose loads out of my Benelli Super Nova with no jams and out of my fiances SBEII with the same results, your gun just might not like them. :thumbsup:
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:33 am

I had some jam last year and threw the rest of the box in the crick. :lol3: Went back to my old standby...Winchester Supreme.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum