RNT - have it narrowed down to 2

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

RNT - have it narrowed down to 2

Postby GAduck&goose » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:36 pm

Trying to choose between the Short Barrel and the Timbre. I like that they are both somewhat raspy. I'm not a real good caller yet and I need the easier one. What do you guys think? Also, I plan on leaving it in my car when not hunting so I can practice. Is wood OK in that heat or should I spend the extra $ for acrylic?
GAduck&goose
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:57 pm

I wouldn't leave either in the car. Extreme heat isn't good for ANY CALL and can ruin them. I carry my calls with me every day. I stick them in the backpack that I carry my computer around in. If you have to leave it in the car, make sure and keep it out of the direct sunlight.

As for the selection between the SB and the Timbre, I can come close to giving you a comparison. I own the Daisy Cutter and the Timbre, both in acrylic. The DC is a variation of the SB. Now I'm definately not an expert, but I can tell you the difference between the two. The SB is going to be raspier and have MUCH more volume. You can still be quiet with it, but you CANNOT be very loud with the Timbre. The volume produced by the Timbre is MOST DEFINATELY loud enough to call ducks. If you want to call them from a mile away, don't get the Timbre. The Timbre has more of a nasal sound and was designed for close in work.

I'd have to say that the Timbre is my favorite for hunting, but I have more fun blowing the Diasy Cutter (high balls/hail calls).

Here's a thought, buy the SB custom call and go get yourself the new Quackhead Timber for $25. It is a poly version of the Timbre call. Christian, the co-designer of the Timbre, claims that the poly version will be the only call on his lanyard this season.

Listen to the calling on this page, one of those calls is the Quackhead (RNT) poly Timber.

http://www.wildfowladventures.com/sounds_main.aspx

:thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby QUACKHEAD » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Would you like my 2 cents? Ok well I will give it to you anyways. As far as a good call for a beginer by RNT, i would have to give it to the quackhead J-frame, I am going on my second season with it and am very happy with its preformance and price. You can get LOUD and come right back down when they get in close.
A bad day in the feild beats a good day at work, ANY TIME!
QUACKHEAD
Membership permanently suspended

Postby GAduck&goose » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:22 pm

I went to RNT's website and found a Quackhead J-Frame that is poly, but it didn't mention that it is the Timbre version.
GAduck&goose
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:25 pm

They don't have it on their website yet. Look it up on Macks PW. If you can't find it I'll get the item number from the catalog. My buddy ordered and received one from Macks just last week, so I know they have them. Some Walmart stores have them too.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Wildfowl Adventures » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:26 pm

Get the TIMBRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe

Christian
Wildfowl Adventures
account suspended for biz name useage

Postby talltimber » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:37 am

:cool: :laughing: :laughing:
talltimber
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:47 pm

I just got a Daisy Cutter and I love it because its a raspy single reed...I had a hard time with the feed call on cheap calls but this made a huge diffeence....thats my $.02
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby DanT » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:05 pm

:smile:
Last edited by DanT on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
DanT
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:22 pm

actually your wrong!!!!! If you have ever blown a daisy cutter you would know why, because they dont have the ringynes to them like competition calls have. The daisy cutter is a single reed but is raspy like a double...it can be loud and it can be quiet. I have called in ducks in the timber with it this year already and worked them in close...its a great close up call that doesnt ring...of you take this call to a contest...good luck because it is harder than hell to get it to ring.
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby DanT » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:11 am

:smile:
Last edited by DanT on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanT
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum