Is anybody excited about Oct. 1st.

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Is anybody excited about Oct. 1st.

Postby Tightline » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi all, I'm fairly new to the forum and noticed that there isn't much action here on the Montana room. I just got off of the MTFW&P site and it looks like Oct. 1st is still the opener for waterfowl. They are set to release the final regs on the 10th of Sept.

We have been doing lots of scouting and blind repairs around here. Just wanted to see if anybody else was getting as primed as I was for the season.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:35 pm

I am not in Montana, but our opener is Oct. 1st too. You bet I am excited! :welcome: to DHC
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

excitement

Postby fun4jake » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:12 pm

I am getting stoked. Maybe we should connect sometime for a hunt. I live in Butte. Not too active on the MT board lately. Just not alot of us around. about 5 or 6 in the state, maybe not even that many.

Jeff
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Tightline » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:48 am

I got out Thurs., Fri., and Sat. to hunt some upland. I got huns everyday. I have been working with my dog really hard on upland this past summer and she is doing pretty good. I got her last year when she was almost 5. Up to that point she had only hunted waterfowl (100+ birds a year). She just loves to hunt and I'm really happy with the way she is working the birds. I guess that you can teach on old dog new tricks. She got her firs bird on opening day, 10 min. into the hunt :yes:

We are ging out to scout spots for the duck opener today. Should be alot of fun. We are hunting out of a real boat this year instead of the 1236 john boat that we had last year. Man I can't belive that we ever hunted in that little boat, looking back now I'm not sure that it was even safe to take on the water. I think that a canoe is more stable than that boat was.

Jeff-

If you get over this way to hunt let me know ahead of time and we can hook up for a hunt maybe. Where is there water near Butte that you can hunt? Mostly the rivers/streams or is there some public resevoirs around that you can hunt?

jason
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Montana Season Opener

Postby marcbme » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:19 pm

HELL YEA!....been a LONG off season. Hunting at a honey hole I found this summer, after scouting, I found 3 shells that were atleast 5 years old and ducks and geese to beat heck. Anyone want someone who knows the missoula/ninepipes area give me a yell. I also hunt canyon ferry quite abit.

Hunted up by Zortman on opening weekend, did fairly well with prarie chickens but knocked the snot out of the local dove population. :getdown: <--opening day happy dance!!
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby marcbme » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:32 pm

Just read FW & P website....the official day is OCT 2nd!!!! wooohooo...the smell of burned shot shells and wet dog are in the air :laughing:
marcbme
hunter

huntn

Postby fun4jake » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:31 pm

I am always available to go with anyone hunting or take someone with me. I dont have many spots here in the butte area but am working on finding some. So if you need a bs partner I am it. I will be hunting with Fred this year also since he lives here in town.

Have not seen alot of birds around here yet but enough to chase around. Working on Sticking an Elk right now so no time to scout.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Fredito » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:42 pm

Im looking forward to getting out this fall...I think I have cleaned out my blind bag about 5 times trying to get ready...Looking forward to hunting with fun4jake this fall...hope its a good season I saw some geese by work so hopefully things are looking good... :thumbsup:
Fredito
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:59 pm

Howdy guys! I can't wait!

Funny story... this last Saturday, I woke up about an hour before sunrise to hear a bunch of honkers flying over our house. Skies were grey and there was a drizzling rain. I looked around for my dog and not finding her in the room, I went looking to find her. She had made her way outside and was sitting up on a chair on the deck watching the honkers fly over.

She looked at me and started wagging her tail. Just killed me not to put on the Max-4 and jump in the truck. Yeah, we're both pretty stoked. 6 days and counting....

Good luck to you all this season!
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby 2 labs » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi, I'm moving to Missoula, Montana around Nov 16 -17. I'v taken a job in Missoula and was wondering if anyone on this site hunts waterfowl near Missoula. I will certainly be looking to find some spots to throw out my decoys when I get there. :thumbsup:
2 labs
hunter

Missoula bound

Postby fun4jake » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:33 am

2labs, contact blunderbus on this site. he lives and hunts in Missoula.
I did see quite a few ducks south of Missoula in Hamilton a month or so ago so that might be a good area to look.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby marcbme » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:12 am

I live in Missoula, I'd be happy to point ya in the right direction! Even take ya out a couple of times, until you got your way around.
marcbme
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:56 pm

markbme i live at canyon ferry and its a great time up there if you know where to go drom a line

I'm here for a good time.....not a long one
7grnhds
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting