Snipe

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Snipe

Postby redhead11990 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:22 pm

When im out duck hunting there are snipe flying around constantly. They are in season but if they are no good to eat im not even goin to mess with them. So are they worth it, are they very good eatin?
redhead11990
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 pm

To me snipe and woodcock taste like quail- very good, tender meat.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby mot » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 am

I watched quite a few snipe fly by and could have probably shot some once I knew what they were. shooting 3" 3's I figured there wouldn't be much left. quail is good though. I have seen some posts about shooting 7's in steel, perhaps it could work. I have tried stacking shells before though, it gets confusing!
mot
hunter

Re: Snipe

Postby domino » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Are you kidding!!! Snipe are awesome to eat and make execellent hunting.Where do you think the term "sniper" comes from?If you can consistently hit snipe tap yourself on the shoulder, you deserve it.You should be able to find recipes on the net.Any recipe for woodcock will work equally as well.
domino
hunter

Postby AAR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:02 pm

domino wrote:Are you kidding!!! Snipe are awesome to eat and make execellent hunting.Where do you think the term "sniper" comes from?If you can consistently hit snipe tap yourself on the shoulder, you deserve it.You should be able to find recipes on the net.Any recipe for woodcock will work equally as well.

I second that :beer: Great little birds to eat and you can often hunt them when the waterfowling is slow for the day.

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Joe Hunter » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:47 pm

We often shoot snipe while we are duck hunting and have a chance to get a few. Just make sure the snipe season is open (it isn't always the same as duck season) and that you really do know what a snipe is before you shoot. There are many shore birds that resemble snipe (yellow legs, long-billed dowitchers, sandpipers, etc.) so make sure before you shoot or have someone with you that knows the difference. Several of my hunting buddies won't shoot them because they can't tell the difference.

If I'm hunting where I expect to see some, I carry some #7 or #6 steel and try to change out to the smaller pellets when I have a chance, but I have shot many of them with #4.

They eat just like a dove. Charcoaled is the best!

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby lbhntr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:07 pm

thats very true they are fun to shoot and u can always keep some bird shot at the vehicle and after the waterfowl hunt swap shells and walk them up
lbhntr
hunter

Return to Upland Game