Duck Hunting Forum banner

Favorite flies?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Gooseboy 
#1 ·
Whats your 4 favorite flies and why?
I usually make my own patterns but as far as known ones are concerned here are my four...

F fly -simply deadly and is easy and quick to tie in any size even 22

Hare n copper- simple to tie and deadly nymph great for sexy water

Red pheasant tail flash back- Big rainbows kiss em before they swallow them!

Wickhams fancy(Dry)- When fished in tandem with another more realistc dry fly it has the ability to get even the most critical fish to have a look.

#4 ·
Without giving out any secrets:

1. Red Copper John 16-18
2. Yellow Stimulator 8-10
3. Grey WD-40 20-24
4. Parachute Adams 16-20

In about 3 weeks... Halloween Wooly Booger size 8

OK, one secret, a wonderful terrestrial pattern
Red Pine Beetle size 14 tied with red sparkle chenelle, peacock case, and palmered brown hackle.

#6 ·
Here in Nevada & Calif My best flys are:
Dry: Adams , Yellow Humphy, Pale Blue Dunn & Royal Coachman
Nymph: Hairs ear , Zug bug & March brown
Streamers: Muddler, Nose dace ,Micky Finn.

And the fly used all over Cal & Nevada in streams & lakes (Pyramid) is the 1 & only.........WOLLEY BUGGER !!!! (black)

"Ultra Lite".....the only way to go!!......Later Ed

#7 ·
for trout, they would have to be orange or pink san juan worms, caddis, bead head nymphs, and egg sacks.

for bream, anything with legs like poppers, etc and they can't leave them alone.

#9 ·
cast-n-blast said:
In about 3 weeks... Halloween Wooly Booger, size 8
Landed a 20" Bow while scouting for ducks the day before the opener on the old HWB#8, wish I could use 'em a couple more times before things freeze up, but I might be scouting for a new job in a couple of weeks :thumbsdown:

#12 ·
Two words: ROYAL COACHMAN... as for the other 3, i guess i would say white/olive wolly booger, san juan worms, the "Trey Bitler Special", which is basically whatever i feel like putting on the hook, and wraped up with some thread. It works wonders what some creativity can catch.

#15 ·
Pheasant tail nypmph 16-20
Griffiths Gnat size 20
Citori12 midge 20-22
Elk hair caddis 14-20

But that is a short list. Depends what time of year and where I am fly fishing...caught some fine fish over 4lbs on egg sucking leach pattern.
I would choose different flys for river vs high mountain lakes vs small creeks and lakes....but being a fly tyer I can pretty much match size and color. By the way the copper john is getting pretty famous here in colorado.

#18 ·
I dont no but one of the guys that fly fishes (i dont fly fish) says alot of fisherman kill for the feathers on the bottom of a Bluebill (the blackish blue and white ones on the top third of the stomach.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.