Thinking of switching

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Thinking of switching

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Guys Ive cut my teeth on a recurve...I grew up with a ben pearson 40# it shoots like a dream still have it, however its white and more of a target bow rather than a hunting bow.

Several years after shooting my ben pearson, i purchased a PSE takedown 55# it doesnt shoot anywhere near like the ben pearson..I allowed my self time to get my muscles used to the higher poundage but I never could drive nails like I could with the ben pearson.

I havent shot the bow in about a year and half, picked it up the other day and realized why I put the PSE away...

So my question/dilemma is im wanting to get back into archery, my dad has always encouraged the traditional aspect of bowhunting....

Im debating of to try and stick with a recurve and get a different model or try a compound for the first time. My problem is im in professional school and dont have as much time as in previous years to practice...however with whatever model i get I will practice enough to take game cleanly

Thoughts??
I like the short length of the new compounds, and the ability to have such precision,
but hate the idea of the tuning, sight adjustments, and all the things that can possibly go wrong in the field

Recurve simple, not alot of things to malfunction
cons, length of bow, enormous pratice time
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:36 am

Go for it. With todays bows once you get them tuned and sighted in, which does not require alot of effort in most cases, other than routine maint. there really is'nt alot to do with them. I have never had anything fail on any of my compounds in15 years so I would not even give that consideration. Good luck.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:56 pm

To me, the compound is the easier way to go. Sure, it must be sighted in and accessories added on, but I've been shooting bows for years and I can shoot a compound well.
I suck horribly on a recurve. It's much more difficult to me and it's much tougher to hunt with. (range limitations, size) If you cant shoot all the time it will be difficult to get good with.
but hate the idea of the tuning, sight adjustments, and all the things that can possibly go wrong in the field

This is part of a compound, you have to appreciate the science behind it. If you "hate" that to the point where you cant deal with it maybe a compound is not for you. That's part of the fun to me.
You are right, things can go wrong in the field.
I had a sight one time vibrate out of position. but I hunted with a guy who accidently brushed his broadhead on his recurve string and broke it. So both will have there pros and cons in the field. I simply couldn't hunt with a recurve because it's too big.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby kdub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35 am

Stay with the traditional bows, your kills will mean more to you.
kdub
hunter

Postby ClintV » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm

I simply couldn't hunt with a recurve because it's too big.

Ever tried it?
I routinely hunt with 62" recurves and 64" longbows, and haven't yet had the length prevent me from taking a shot. Just cant the bow a bit more and shoot around what ever is percieved to be in the way. I've actually found the compound to be more difficult to shoot in hunting situations because you have to keep it level to properly use the sights, and most of those rests don't work worth a hoot if you tilt the bow over to get the bottom limb over a limb.
Not to mention the fact that my longbow weighs less than most loaded bow quivers...I just can't see the arguement that a recurve is too big.

I will concede that they are much more difficult to become proficient with, but that is also part of the learning curve..... and the fun. Anything worth having is worth working for, and the pride you get when you arrow your first traditional deer is something you will always look back on and be glad you put in the time and effort.

Traditional archery definately is not for everyone, and it doesn't need to be......but it doesn't have to be exclusive of any other form of archery either. If you want to try a compound, by all means do so, but there is no reason you have to put up that ol Pearson either. Shoot em both, and enjoy them both. (But I'm betting that one day you'll come back to that old stick and string just for the fun of it. :wink: )
ClintV
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 am

Traditional bows are great, but you have to want them. I can make shots that compound archery just can not get setup for. You also need to practice with them. If you can not practice as much now, I would get the bow you want and start. keep your compound for hunting until get the recurve back into form.

Go to here for advice on a compound bow. www.tradgang.com and they should help you find. I have self bows and traditional bows. 2 45 pound recurves one is a Wards made by pearson and stacks (Increases weight fast) making it uncomfortable to shoot and a bear black bear that just feels smooth and sweet.

While on tradgang.com ask them for any traditional bow shoots near you. Go there and tell everyone you want to switch and most will let you shoot their bows. They love to make converts and will help you. You'll make many new friends and gets tons of advice and learn what bow feels good to you and you need the "feel" of that bow when shooting traditional.

Good luck.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:16 am

Here is a great place for you to start

Alabama Society of Traditional Bowmen
http://www.astb.net/

Spring Rendezvous....March 14th & 15th
@ Brierfield Ironworks

Children's Hospital Benefit....April 25th & 26th
@ Tannehill State Park
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Thinking of switching

Postby muddydog » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:43 am

I would go with the traditional ! Make the time to practice,everyone needs a hobby to get away from everyday life occasionally! I normally shoot only on Sunday afternoons and stay fairly sharp. I have gone as much as 4 months without shooting and was right back on target after about 15-20 arrows. Dont overbow yourself, get a 45-50 lb bow and you will be fine!
muddydog
hunter

Return to Archery