Anatomy of a Pit Blind (Pics!)

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Anatomy of a Pit Blind (Pics!)

Postby Cupped Wangs » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 am

During the first split, we put in a new pit blind on our lease. Before the season, I convinced the farmer to leave some beans up for the birds to feed on. The field flooded and now we have a great set up. Here's how it all went down...

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Notice our buddy in the back ground, in a lawn chair by the cooler...workin' hard. :grooving:
Image
Image
Louisiana Gumbo...not even a track hoe can escape it.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The inaugural hunt....
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Cupped Wangs
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Natchez, MS


Postby uscg4good » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am

Nice!
User avatar
uscg4good
hunter
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Houma, LA

Postby Ducks504 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:44 am

Thats awesome. Hard work always seems to pay off.
Ducks504
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 am

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Awesome!

Did you buy it or build it?
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Postby Cupped Wangs » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Greenhead Grappler wrote:Awesome!

Did you buy it or build it?


The land owners (seen on the tractor) had two of them sitting in the barn and offered to put them out for us. We still have to decide where we want the other one...
User avatar
Cupped Wangs
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Natchez, MS

Postby uscg4good » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 pm

How do you keep water from getting in? And what about critters?
User avatar
uscg4good
hunter
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Houma, LA

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Cupped Wangs wrote: We still have to decide where we want the other one...


Well your in luck I have plenty of land and I can take it off your hands. :yes:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:34 pm

uscg4good wrote:How do you keep water from getting in? And what about critters?


You get the critters out when you get there in the morning and every one that I have been in had a bilge pump in it to keep the water out.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:46 pm

the ones i've seen have a top.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Postby clemaire2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:23 pm

a little advice hate telling all my secrets our pits have 2X12 or 2X10s for seats all you have to do when your finished hunting is take the seat put one end out of the blind and the other end on the floor if some thing falls in it it can crawl out
clemaire2
hunter
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: south west louisiana

Postby Cupped Wangs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:14 am

clemaire2 wrote:a little advice hate telling all my secrets our pits have 2X12 or 2X10s for seats all you have to do when your finished hunting is take the seat put one end out of the blind and the other end on the floor if some thing falls in it it can crawl out


Damn...that is pretty handy. We still have to make a bench and plan on using a 2x12. There isn't a top, so we'll be using a bail bucket most likely.

I checked out one of our other pits last time and saw a dead rat floating in the bottom.

What's a quick and easy way to fashion a top for these things?
User avatar
Cupped Wangs
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Natchez, MS

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Cupped Wangs wrote:
clemaire2 wrote:a little advice hate telling all my secrets our pits have 2X12 or 2X10s for seats all you have to do when your finished hunting is take the seat put one end out of the blind and the other end on the floor if some thing falls in it it can crawl out


Damn...that is pretty handy. We still have to make a bench and plan on using a 2x12. There isn't a top, so we'll be using a bail bucket most likely.

I checked out one of our other pits last time and saw a dead rat floating in the bottom.

What's a quick and easy way to fashion a top for these things?


Its always fun to crawl in before daylight and find a water moccasin in your blind. Luckily it is usually cold enough to have slowed their movements down.
User avatar
La. Hunter
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Northeast Louisiana

Postby Cupped Wangs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 pm

La. Hunter wrote:Its always fun to crawl in before daylight and find a water moccasin in your blind. Luckily it is usually cold enough to have slowed their movements down.


Some friends of mine were hunting a swamp in Middle GA during the first split and had one come after them. It was swimming right towards the younger cousin really fast with its head out of water and mouth open. They dispatched of it with a shot gun. Makes you think twice about bringing a dog in when the weather's been a little warm.
User avatar
Cupped Wangs
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Natchez, MS

Postby uscg4good » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 pm

La. Hunter wrote:Its always fun to crawl in before daylight and find a water moccasin in your blind. Luckily it is usually cold enough to have slowed their movements down.

No. 1 reason why I CANNOT WAIT to get back north.
User avatar
uscg4good
hunter
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Houma, LA

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 pm

uscg4good wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:Its always fun to crawl in before daylight and find a water moccasin in your blind. Luckily it is usually cold enough to have slowed their movements down.

No. 1 reason why I CANNOT WAIT to get back north.


Yeah, but then you have to worry about yankees being in you pit blind! jk :rofl:
User avatar
La. Hunter
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Northeast Louisiana

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:48 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
uscg4good wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:Its always fun to crawl in before daylight and find a water moccasin in your blind. Luckily it is usually cold enough to have slowed their movements down.

No. 1 reason why I CANNOT WAIT to get back north.


Yeah, but then you have to worry about yankees being in you pit blind! jk :rofl:



:rofl: :rofl: :lol: I'll take the snake!
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
User avatar
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Shreveport, LA

Postby uscg4good » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Just sayin there's a lot of mean critters down here fellas. I'll take hunting in the snow over dealin with nasty critters anyday.
User avatar
uscg4good
hunter
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Houma, LA

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:58 pm

There aint any nasty critters here, all we got are moccasins and alligators, and the gators are more scared of you. Up north they got bears and wolves and as grappler said yankees. :rofl:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Postby uscg4good » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Ok I'm not afraid of the gators. You're right they are afraid of us. I've jumped a few off the bank already on the way to a fishing spot. The snakes, spiders, and ticks are what get me. All capable of taking your life. Some quicker than others.

I've never seen any bears or wolves in Ohio though.
User avatar
uscg4good
hunter
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Houma, LA

Postby brokkbloodaxe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:41 am

:no: yankees :no: just the thought of runnin into a wild yankee in the woods makes me shudder :help:
I'm the best there is at what I do...just ain't figured out what that is yet!
brokkbloodaxe
hunter
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 am
Location: ruston, louisiana

Postby duck huntin mamou » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:45 pm

We made some covers for our pits that were in about 3 ft. sections. That way you can leave part of it covered when the blind isn't full. Very handy. I can have pics if anyone is interested.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
User avatar
duck huntin mamou
hunter
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 pm
Location: Mamou LA

Postby Cupped Wangs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm

duck huntin mamou wrote:We made some covers for our pits that were in about 3 ft. sections. That way you can leave part of it covered when the blind isn't full. Very handy. I can have pics if anyone is interested.


What did you use for the covers? I know we'll need one. I plan on taking a bailing bucket out there the first morning. Our place got drenched.
User avatar
Cupped Wangs
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 am
Location: Natchez, MS

Postby Duck Enticer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing. It is kind of cool to see how that worked.
Negrodamus knows!
User avatar
Duck Enticer
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: South Central Louisiana

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Cupped Wangs wrote:
duck huntin mamou wrote:We made some covers for our pits that were in about 3 ft. sections. That way you can leave part of it covered when the blind isn't full. Very handy. I can have pics if anyone is interested.


What did you use for the covers? I know we'll need one. I plan on taking a bailing bucket out there the first morning. Our place got drenched.


We used two 2x4's that fit snug inside the top of the blind. Screwed tin to that leaving about 4in. on the edge so they would overlap. made bungee cord handles. and painted 'em camo. They worked great for us last season.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
User avatar
duck huntin mamou
hunter
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:55 pm
Location: Mamou LA

top idea

Postby chadcock » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:35 am

You may know this already but we use a garage door section for a top. It has four post connected with a rolling track that is mounted to a 2x4. camo it with some straw and mesh and it will keep rain out and rolls back to shoot very easily.
chadcock
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests