Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Postby Wilsona018 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:52 am

Last edited by Wilsona018 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby flyfisher76544 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:03 pm

First day wasn't to many flying here in Texas. Second day was a blast though. I brought home 7 and my partner dropped 5. Headin' back out this evening again, they seem to be flying more towards evening now.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:56 pm

I shot 15 on the second and 3 yesterday. Hard to find a good concentration, but if you find em watch out. Main thing was working with the dog. I made sure I brought plenty of water for him and us too.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:33 pm

We don't have a dove season here but we have lots of morning doves and rock doves/common pigeons. So what type of doves is it that you are hunting?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:50 pm

I had a pretty bad opener, only two for me.

Greg, i usually shoot mourning doves, but i have started to see some whitewings out in the field.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby uncbornbred » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:14 pm

NC ... worst opening day hunt i have ever been on ... shot five shells - one bird ... my sons did have a good time (at least I hope they did) ... one shot one bird and the other shot three birds ... look forward to going with them again and the birds moving a little better
uncbornbred
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:40 pm

Brother shot 11 tonight. I am at work right now at the Fire Station. He said my dog is getting better. Amazing what happens if you just put the shock collar on even if you don't use it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby darick silsby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:08 am

I have been out 5 times and have shot 44 doves, the doves don't know it yet but i'm going again.

Up date as of 9-6-05 up to 55 doves now. My wife is sick of cooking the

final up date 9-24-05 went out 12 times, total doves harvested 80.
my sons dove total was 70. Not a bad year after all. The fish and game department had predicted a poor season. Them guys realy do have more money than brains.
Last edited by darick silsby on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:58 am

ive gon out 4 times and shot 4 birds. :thumbsdown:
texasduckblaster
hunter

Dove in Northern Cal sucks

Postby Rick Egner » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:45 pm

Dove season here in Northern California was again another dude. I've been twice on a stat refuge and didn't shoot once. No one else I talk to didi either. Friend has 60 acres of safflour in Gridley, not one bird. Next year I'm going to go to Arizona for the opener. Does anyone know where I can get info about shooting public land there? Or better yey, tips and where to go. Thanks.
Rick Egner
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Shot in a cornfield opening day...hard to find birds if they fall where it hasn't been pulled yet....dog didn't wanna do jack cause it was so hot...I ended up with 6 so it wasn't too bad...TINY birds though...i'm ready for the barn burner shoots after peanuts are turned up.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:03 am

The opener in Sikeston Mo was ok but it just got worse as after that. I did 8 birds on the opening day, and 5 or 6 on friday but a few guys got their limits. It seemed that everything is a few weeks behind. All the crops are still up, the sunflower fields aren't ready, and the wattermellons are still on the vine. There just wasn't any reason for migrating birds to stop.

We did do one cool thing. We took a duck hunting approach to dove hunting. Between the six of us there were three mojos. We set them up all with in 15 yards of us and waited for the birds to come in. Doves love the dove mojo, and three together was just like a magnet.

When a big group would come in we would all shoot when jsut a couple would come in whoever was closer would take their turn. Next time you find yourself hunting in a group with more than one mojo give it a try.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:41 am

It has sucked for me too this season. Been twice & only shot 3 birds. I have more geese already this season than doves.

Hey Greg these are morning doves that we hunt here.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:16 am

Opening day we shot 30, the rest of the weekend we shot 8, and 4, and 2. But oh well still fun and i can't complain about going out and hunting.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby firebird » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Cold front moved our birds south early but still enough for a hunt. My brother and I each killed limits of 10. We hunted lots of sunflowers early with dismal success but on the way home saw a bunch land in some thistles. We limited there, apparently thistles are ripe and sunflowers are not.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby bonbonjovi » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:24 pm

i hunted in mohave valley az. just outside of needles on 9/02 got six before getting run out of a cut field with lots of dove weed. but talking to the other hunters in the area the hunting was poor at best. i have a permit to hunt in the fort mohave indian reservation lands but they have it planted in cotton or alfalfa so that doesnt help.may hunt near the end of the split 9/15.
bonbonjovi
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:43 am

Opening day I bagged 2 birds (only fired 5 shots). The 2nd I got 4 and the 3rd day I got 5. Since my numbers were getting better each day, I didn't go unday, and Monday-one shot, one kill. At least I was batting a thousand for one day. So the count is at 12, and they are bagged and taged in the freezer until I get at least that many more before I cook'em up.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Here in North Central Mississippi, we had just gotten some very high winds off of Katrina, and it blew the birds on out of here. Only shot a box of shells opening day. Waited and went out on labor day to a field northwest of here, but more out of what was Katrina's path. That field was marvelous. Came out by 9am with the limit. Everyone there limited out or ran out of shells trying.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:37 pm

here in N. Ky we killed 30 on the first day we went, and have been back twice adn only killed 3 each time. got another field that should be ready to hunt in about a week, hope there's birds using it.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:41 pm

This is by far the best dove season that I have had. Lots of limits opening day. We usually only get to hunt the first few days and then the birds are gone. Didn't get a limit this morning but did still come home with 13 birds. Here is a pic from opening morning.

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:23 pm

Shooting was great in Imperial Valley (So Calif)
tstrong
hunter

Postby SupermagSlick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:32 am

I was stationed in Yuma for several years, and I remeber hunting Imperial Valley and Arizona well. That was some of the best dove hunting I've ever seen.
SupermagSlick
hunter

Postby ActionPoint » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:36 pm

Worst season that I can remember. Things were looking good and then the birds started disappearing the week before the opener. I managed to take 1 dove at the reserved hunt on state property, only one I saw. My buddy and I finally pulled about 2 dozen hunting freshly picked corn fields. Sad year for doves in IN.
ActionPoint
Banned

Postby duckplucker » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:46 am

:withstupid: same is true here in kansas... i had a spot all lined up to go to 3 days before season, then when it opened, they were gone... just like that close to 250 to 0... i was disappointed

maybe they might have to cut down the limit.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:53 pm

Here in Nevada, all the open land is slowly getting blacktop& homes.
If that was not enough, in some area's the F&G regulations call for STEEL shot! It is great in some area's, but slowly going down hill.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Upland Game