ATV owners...

Camping, Hiking, ATV, Snowmobiling, GeoCaching

Moderator: LaRedneck

ATV owners...

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 pm

hey all,

i have been kicking around the idea of getting an ATV for awhile now. i think it's time. i have been considering the yamaha kodiak and the honda rubicon. anyone with either, speak up. let me know the good and the bad!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:41 pm

I really like the ride of a Kodiak. Hondas are good machines. I really like the Kawasaki ATVs also. My next bike will be a Kawasaki.

ride them all and then choose which one you want. What is your primary purpose of the machine????
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:15 pm

Make sure you do a little research on the transmission. I know that some of the automatics if you have it in gear and your ATV dies and your battery is dead its not coming out of gear and your not going to move it. So make sure there is some feature that if that does happen you can take it out of gear manually. It happend to a buddy of mine once and he was stuck out in the woods while he waited for me to come get him out. Personally I do not like the automatics, I'd rather have a manual. But I do know alot of guys that would never go back shifting gears, they love the automatics. If I were to get an auto I would get a CVT. They have good Low end torque so you can still pull or haul stuff, but when you need to get some where they can fly. Also since there is no shifting of gears it is the smoothest transmission out there. However, make sure that the case is bulletproof to water, mud, oil, anything really. If its not and water or mud gets in there your going to loose alot of power because that belt will be slipping like there is no tomorrow.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:22 pm

All I have to say is Pairie. Get a kawasaki pairie or the brute force witch is pretty much the same thing. I have a pairie 650 and I have beat the heck out of it. It is just plain awsome. I have riddin ton of them this one is by far the best. They have 2wd 4wd switch, you can lock in the front diff. there is high and low gears, reverse override. My 21' pontoon sank in the mud and I pulled it out with it. I can't say enough about it.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:25 pm

Also, the honda and yahama are all great. I also have a honda recon 4x2 and it gets around pretty good. Yamaha is great also. I just really like the pairie. It is really impressive. BUT its not so good in tight spots just because it is pretty big. That goes for the yamaha grizzley also. If you want something a little smaller go with a honda forman it think 450? Anyway www.atvconnection.com is a great resource also. Lots of friendly people with great opinions.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:38 pm

i'd be using it mainly for hunting, scouting, work days, etc.

i owned a bayou 300 4x4 awhile back and it did ok. i got rid of it a few years ago and just never replaced it. i have heard some good things about the prarie and yamahas. honda speaks for itself as far as reliability, durability, etc. the good news is, they are making these things so well now that you aren't likely to find a "bad" one with any of the major manufacturers. i think the honda is one of the best looking atv's around.

any others care to comment?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:11 pm

I am a polaris fan, cause that is what we used fighting fire. I took them things over stuff that I would never taken one I owned personally and it performed flawlessly. We had a single seater polaris 6x6 that you almost couldn't tip over backward going up steep hills. Did great until somebody rolled it sideways and let the engine run with no oil in it for a couple minutes. Had a nice dump bed to put stuff in. Would've been great for hunting. Also spent lots of time on a Sportsman 400 that was a champ off road, in canyons, crossing creeks etc. I know you didn't mention it, but a single seater 6x6 is what I would want over a four wheeler.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:32 pm

I dont wanna turn this into a thread about siding w/ any one brand...

But I do agree w/ ks, them Polaris machines are hard to beat up. They are a nice piece of equipment anyway you look at it.

Just something to consider :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:16 am

I would agree also about the polaris. I personally don't care for them because of the all wheel braking. I don't know if it is on all models or not Maybe just the sportsman. I have seen a few guys going down steep hills with them and almost go end over end because of the all wheel braking. This might not be true with all the models though and we were going thru some serious stuff at a atv park. Other than that they seem great. I am sure that they fixed the problem by now but I knew that they did not like water. The centrifical clutch they had was not very good at keeping water out. Water and centrifical clutch is not a good mix. That is why I like the pairie a little better. Their setup is a little better keeping the water out and the 4 wheeler moving. BUt this is something to really consider. If you go thru a stream or creek and you get water in the clutch you might be sitting there a while letting everything dry out on a polaris.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:27 am

thanks duckslayer for the info. i read through most of them and there is some good info there. i was hoping to find a little more info about hondas and yamahas, but good nonetheless.

i won't go with polaris. i hear they still depend on way too much go-cart technology. i don't like belt/chain driven anything... :thumbsdown:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:54 am

if you go to that forum there is different forums for each make model year. There is alot of great info on there.

http://www.atvconnection.com
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:26 pm

honda rubicon is a good machine. dad has an 04 model.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:57 pm

I know at least on the Polaris 6x6s that water in the clutch isn't a problem. 2 of us were driving the single seaters through the Canadian River there in Texas. Somebody snapped a picture of us and all you can see is from the headlight up. Everything else is underwater. Another time the worthless chick working with us got me and here suck in some 24" high water. After we engaged 6 wheel drive we glided out. I mainly rode our honda foreman ATV when using a 4 wheeler, cause nobody liked the foot shift but me and it was great. For me persoanlly I think the single seater six is much more functional than a standard ATV.

Sorry, I know you said you didn't want a polaris, just something for others to think about. The Foreman would be my choice for an 4x4
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:26 pm

no need to apologize ks, i appreciate the info. it's always good to have another idea thrown in the mix... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Merganser » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:39 am

Got a 2000 model Honda Foreman 450S and it has done a good job for me. I drive it in the flooded impound, breaking ice, and riding 3 hunters on it. It keeps on going. Only problem I have had is brakes are all rusted up and don't work anymore. I don't use the brakes anyway. The manual shift is kind of awkward to change with waders on but is okay if you are used to it. The 4-wheel drive is engage all time and makes turning with someone sitting on rear impossible. You have to have weight on front end to turn tight turns. I would buy a Honda again.
Merganser
hunter

Postby Cephous » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:11 am

I know lots of people are scared of the Honda automatic transmittion. Some say they will wait to see what happens with them to make sure Honda works out the bugs before they buy one but I can tell you that they were developed and have been used in Japan and Europe since the late 1950's. I know people that have them and there have been no problems.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 pm

UPDATE:

i decided on the honda 500 rubicon with the auto tranny. man this thing is a true performer. i absolutely love how smooth it shifts. it is a power house too. i have taken it hunting a few times already and did an all day trail ride on it. i couldn't be more pleased with the way this thing runs.

thanks for all the info y'all.

[siteimg]1139[/siteimg]

[siteimg]1140[/siteimg]

[siteimg]1138[/siteimg]
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gunman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:55 pm

NICE! good looking ride! makes me want one! HA!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 pm

How much that run you? Im thinking of gettin a 4wheeler myself...
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:35 pm

i got a really good deal on it. list was $7299 and i paid under $6000.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:44 pm

I have had five ATV and hondas only ones that lasted.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bushwacking » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm

polaris is the way to go
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby Cephous » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:08 pm

bushwacking wrote:polaris is the way to go

:eek: Oh no it's not! :thumbsdown:
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:39 pm

:withstupid:
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Next

Return to Outdoor Activities