Remington 1100 won't feed next shell

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Remington 1100 won't feed next shell

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 pm

I purchased an older but mint condition used Remington 1100 12 gauge shotgun from Cabella's last month. I never made it to the range to see if it worked during the 30 day warranty period. I just loaded 2 aluminum snap cap shells into it and tried to feed them and the carrier won't rotate up with a shell on it when the bolt goes forward. Nothing seemed to be missing when I removed the trigger group for cleaning. Anyone have a suggestion before I spend money sending this back to Remington for service. :sad:
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Take the trigger group out. Push the carrier up and follow the linkage back to see how it works. There is a small piston that has a spring under it on the right side of the trigger group. I've seen this piston get jammed down in the hole from being to dirty. To fix this you have to take the trigger asembly apart so you can pull the piston out and clean and lube.

Ceck this out and see if the piston is jammed before you take it out. If the piston moves up and down freely it's fine but I'd bet that's your problem.

Good luck,
Michael
fishduck
hunter

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi, I checked the plunger and it works fine. The problem is with the chrome metal button on the bottom of the carrier. It must be always be pressed for the bolt to go forward and for the carrier to rise up to load a shell. I even have to press the chrome button on the carrier to add shells to the magazine. Is this normal? Thank you.
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:25 am

Did you try this with live ammo? The snap caps are probably too light to hit the "button" inside the action that closes the bolt. This "button" is essentially the same as pushing up on the carrier release button on the bottom.

Yes you have to push in on the carrier release button to load rounds into the magazine. this is Normal.

with the bolt open, Look INSIDE the action on top of the carrier in front of the trigger. You will see the "button" that releases the bolt when a round from the magazine hits it. HOLD THE BOLT WITH YOUR OTHER HAND and then with your finger try to push in on it and it should release the bolt. if not you have an issue with the trigger assembly.

Let us know what you find.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 am

Hi, I tried using real shells and it still does not release the bolt. The aluminum snap caps I have seem heavier than regular shells. I believe I may be missing some sort of insert that would fit into the chrome carrier release button. If I reach inside the action and apply pressure, it releases the carrier and the shell is rotated up. The back of the shell is just not touching the carrier release button. Where the rear of the shell would touch it is a very small but hollow stamping. My question to you is this: Does the carrier release button have some sort of part missing that would extend it farther out so it would be impacted by the incoming shell? The carrier release looks like it has pointed metal tabs that would hold some sort of rubber bumper or pad. Thank you
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am

Part 28 below is the carrier latch that the shell from the magazine hits and closes the bolt to run the round into the chamber.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12gaugeLarry » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi, I spoke to someone who works at a gun store in my phone book.
This person told me that my Remington 1100 will NOT feed a round directly from the magazine into the chamber when I pull the bolt handle back and release it. He said pulling the bolt back drops a round onto the carrier and that I must then push the carrier release button to chamber the first round. Subsequent rounds should feed automatically when the gun is firing live rounds. Does this sound correct? Thank you
Larry
12gaugeLarry
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:24 pm

I only have 11-87's here now but I can get my hands on an 1100 tomorrow and see what it does.

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf

this is the manual and on page 13 it says to unload the chamber you just cycle the bolt several times until all rounds have been emptied from the magazine and chamber. It does not say anything about pusing the carrier release for every round. But I do not know the answer without looking at one.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Remington 1100 won't feed next shell

Postby Safetyninja » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:18 pm

I am having the same problem. When the shell is released from the mag tube it seems as if the shell is not hitting the carrier latch hard enough to get the carrier to lift and release the bolt.
Safetyninja
Newb

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:11 pm

If you put in the shells into the magazine the button has to be pushed in as putting the the hull. then if you manually pull the bolt back the shell will get kicked out of magazine but will not be slammed into chamber. you have to push the button on bottom then it will put the shell into chamber.

Th way i do it when loading my 1100,I pull the bolt back drop shell in ejection port then push button. the shell will be put into the chamber. after that load up magazine. then when fire the gun the next shell will be droped from magazine then the action will close by itself putting next round into the chamber.

when go to test fire. take some lighter loads 7/8 oz lead and if they they do not kick out even with magnum 1100 or just make it out of the ejection port, its time too replace the return spring in the stock, while your at it replace the spring (42) they get weak after while then also go ahead and replace the magazine spring. then its good time to replace the o-ring (12) and or have them handy when your hunting. when i do this work i just replace it no mater what for customers (0-ring) and then send the old one with them.

as long as you have all your parts and none are missing,that is how the 1100 operates.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Safetyninja » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:02 am

I am trying to function check the gun because the customer complaint is that the bolt locks to the rear after every round. The gun had been deep cleaned and lubed. All parts appear to be serviceable and working properly individually. It is just that the carrier latch is not tripping when the shell hits it when the shell is released from the mag tube. There are no burrs or any other obvious defects. You end up with a shell just laying on the carrier with the bolt locked back.
Safetyninja
Newb

Postby MarkM » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:18 am

Safetyninja wrote:I am trying to function check the gun because the customer complaint is that the bolt locks to the rear after every round. The gun had been deep cleaned and lubed. All parts appear to be serviceable and working properly individually. It is just that the carrier latch is not tripping when the shell hits it when the shell is released from the mag tube. There are no burrs or any other obvious defects. You end up with a shell just laying on the carrier with the bolt locked back.

Are you talking about when you fire? If so, buy this http://www.amazon.com/021-Viton-O-Ring- ... B0051Y1U7W

That is the problem you are having by the way I am reading it.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Safetyninja wrote:I am trying to function check the gun because the customer complaint is that the bolt locks to the rear after every round. The gun had been deep cleaned and lubed. All parts appear to be serviceable and working properly individually. It is just that the carrier latch is not tripping when the shell hits it when the shell is released from the mag tube. There are no burrs or any other obvious defects. You end up with a shell just laying on the carrier with the bolt locked back.

Is this happening when you fire the gun, or when you just pull the bolt back with your hand when have shells in magazine also?
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm

[quote="Safetyninja"]I am trying to function check the gun because the customer complaint is that the bolt locks to the rear after every round. The gun had been deep cleaned and lubed. All parts appear to be serviceable and working properly individually.

Did you remove the return spring and check it for rust ect and clean the tube free of dirt/sand gun powder ect.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Safetyninja » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:41 am

This is happening during firing as well as hand cycling the action. When firing the bolt locks to the rear with the next shell laying on the carrier. The spent shell ejects properly. It is like every round is the last round. The trigger assembly has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed. When I have the trigger assembly out, everything seems to be working properly in the trigger assembly. The customer had a couple of bolts holding in the trigger assembly. I have ordered the proper pins. Maybe there is just enough play so that the trigger assembly is not held solid enough. When I get the proper pins in I will let everyone know if it has made a difference.
Safetyninja
Newb

Postby Safetyninja » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:44 am

Oh, and by the way, the return spring has been cleaned and lubed as well.
Safetyninja
Newb

Postby MarkM » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 am

Safetyninja wrote:This is happening during firing as well as hand cycling the action. When firing the bolt locks to the rear with the next shell laying on the carrier. The spent shell ejects properly. It is like every round is the last round. The trigger assembly has been thoroughly cleaned and lubed. When I have the trigger assembly out, everything seems to be working properly in the trigger assembly. The customer had a couple of bolts holding in the trigger assembly. I have ordered the proper pins. Maybe there is just enough play so that the trigger assembly is not held solid enough. When I get the proper pins in I will let everyone know if it has made a difference.

That sounds to me likes its either the carrier latch button or the o-ring is out on it. I would replace the o-ring first, that's 90% of all 1100 problems.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Well, what worked? I'm having the same problem.
THAXTER
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:21 pm

THAXTER wrote:Well, what worked? I'm having the same problem.

Buy a pack of o-rings. That's the problem I'm willing to bet.

If you don't want to buy a whole pack, I can send you an o-ring or run by Autozone and ask for one. They'll sell them individually.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:10 am

Sounds like a bent or worn carrier latch if the bolt locks back with a shell in the mag. What has that got to do with the o-ring or action spring. The gas system is pushing the bolt all the way back and the shell latch is releasing the shell from the mag.
z51
hunter

Postby MarkM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 am

z51 wrote:Sounds like a bent or worn carrier latch if the bolt locks back with a shell in the mag. What has that got to do with the o-ring or action spring. The gas system is pushing the bolt all the way back and the shell latch is releasing the shell from the mag.

If it locks back after firing it isn't keeping enough gas to cycle the bolt forward. Hand cycling will not release the bolt back forward unless the button underneath is pushed.

If you've got an 1100 take your o-ring out and fire it. It will not cycle the round out of it.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 am

MarkM wrote:
z51 wrote:Sounds like a bent or worn carrier latch if the bolt locks back with a shell in the mag. What has that got to do with the o-ring or action spring. The gas system is pushing the bolt all the way back and the shell latch is releasing the shell from the mag.

If it locks back after firing it isn't keeping enough gas to cycle the bolt forward. Hand cycling will not release the bolt back forward unless the button underneath is pushed.

If you've got an 1100 take your o-ring out and fire it. It will not cycle the round out of it.

Gas doesn't cycle the bolt toward the action spring does. Once gas escapes the ports in the gas chamber and moves the piston backward it dispurses, it's work done. The problem as I see it is the carrier latch is not operating properly, therefore the bolt is being retained in the open position.

Removing the o-ring proves nothing because then the piston is not moving back far enough to properly start the action cycle.

Take your gun apart and think the cycling process through.
z51
hunter

Postby MarkM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 am

z51 wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Gas doesn't cycle the bolt toward the action spring does. Once gas escapes the ports in the gas chamber and moves the piston backward it dispurses, it's work done. The problem as I see it is the carrier latch is not operating properly, therefore the bolt is being retained in the open position.

Removing the o-ring proves nothing because then the piston is not moving back far enough to properly start the action cycle.

Take your gun apart and think the cycling process through.

Then I guess my 1100 is an odd one. When my gun would cycle and stay open with a shell laying on the carrier, I replaced the o-ring. After that, it would eject the spent shell and load the one that is on the carrier.

My 12 and 20 both did the same thing before I replaced the o-ring. Guess both of them are odd...

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 pm

I doubt your guns are odd you just misunderstand exactly how they work.
z51
hunter

Postby MarkM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:10 pm

z51 wrote:I doubt your guns are odd you just misunderstand exactly how they work.

You just never know...

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum