Remington 1100 won't feed next shell

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Remington 1100 won't feed next shell

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 am

I strongly suggest OP get a friend who has an 1100 that works correctly so he can compare.
Seriously, learn how your gun works before you ask about troubleshooting a problem that is possibly operator error.
Waste of thread space here.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 am

My bet is on the the carrier. O-ring won't cause this, bent or broke feed latch likely will drop two or none. Sounds like a gummed up mag tube or mag spring binding, but you've stated they are good to go.
talltimber
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:35 am

It's releasing a shell from the mag tube onto carrier. The carrier is not moving the shell up and the bolt is not releasing.
z51
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am

I've had mine gummed up to the point of not firing it out of there hard enough to trip it.
talltimber
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

He said he cleaned it but mag springs are cheap.
z51
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I fixed mine having this same problem and it was the plastic magazine spring follower with an aluminum one and the problem was solved. I noticed that the plastic was worn on a slight angle and that was causing it to bind when the spring was extended to the last shell.
THAXTER
hunter

Re:

Postby POKER1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm

12gaugeLarry wrote:Hi, I spoke to someone who works at a gun store in my phone book.
This person told me that my Remington 1100 will NOT feed a round directly from the magazine into the chamber when I pull the bolt handle back and release it. He said pulling the bolt back drops a round onto the carrier and that I must then push the carrier release button to chamber the first round. Subsequent rounds should feed automatically when the gun is firing live rounds. Does this sound correct? Thank you

This is correct. I have 2 1970's model 1100's and both work this way. Bolt locks back and it releases the round onto the carrier. Then you have to press bolt release for the round to chamber. However I always drop a shell into the ejection port to load the first round. I thought all 1100's operated this way. My 11-87s will load a round from the mag though. They are different designs.
POKER1
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:55 am

THAXTER wrote:I fixed mine having this same problem and it was the plastic magazine spring follower with an aluminum one and the problem was solved. I noticed that the plastic was worn on a slight angle and that was causing it to bind when the spring was extended to the last shell.

That was poor design I think. Should have used at least a stamped sheet metal follower, if not aluminum. That plastic follower gets powder residue on it, which grinds away at the plastic making contact with the sides of the tube, sometimes binding. I am more particular with cleaning it than I am the gas ports.
talltimber
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 pm

talltimber wrote:
THAXTER wrote:I fixed mine having this same problem and it was the plastic magazine spring follower with an aluminum one and the problem was solved. I noticed that the plastic was worn on a slight angle and that was causing it to bind when the spring was extended to the last shell.

That was poor design I think. Should have used at least a stamped sheet metal follower, if not aluminum. That plastic follower gets powder residue on it, which grinds away at the plastic making contact with the sides of the tube, sometimes binding. I am more particular with cleaning it than I am the gas ports.

I agree, it's a bad design. Even though you clean it there still isn't a lot you can do to stop it from wearing funny and jamming your gun.
THAXTER
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum