Goose Legs

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Goose Legs

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:26 am

Guys, I need a receipe for using up goose legs. When getting back my buddy and me beast out the geese. I saved the legs from both our birds and have almost as much meat as breast. Maybe 2/3 of the breast amount. I want to cook them slow in a crock pot to get them tender and make a stew or something like that where the meat can be pulled off to remove the tendons. Looking for ideas with lots of great favours

I want to try a few receipies and have a party. :salude:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sunriseshooter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:28 am

you can cut it up and use it in chili
sunriseshooter
Newb

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:56 am

I found a receipe for "stick to your ribs goose stew" and will try that. It's amazing how much meat I got from the legs. Considering I was geeting my budy legs to when we hunted together. 10 Geese made about a ziploc and a 1/2.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 am

Well, Notice to all. The goose leg stew turned out great. I lost a lot of meat due to my impatience. I boiled the legs while still frozen in the zip lock bag shape. All the legs on the outside became very tough and too hard to use as it took a long time to thaw that huge ice block of legs, even in boiling water. The dog ate what I could get off of those outside legs. The ones on the inside worked great and made a great pot of stew, even if it was smaller than I wanted. I consider this a learning experience.

Any one wanting to try this and not waste the legs do this. Boil legs in pot for 30 to 40 minutes only!!!!! Remove legs and strip meat, even if its partly raw. It will finish cooking in the stew with the potatoes. It gets tough fast if over cooked.

All and all, I feel good. I got something from meat ussually wasted. You only have to watch over cooking the leg meat. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking