planting for phesant hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

planting for phesant hunting

Postby alabamabronco » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:42 pm

where i live.alabama there not too many wild phesants.so i plan to buy some and put them out .probably after jan. will be the soonest i can get to hunt birds. I was planning on planting some wheat or oates or rye this month..so when jan or feb comes around the stuff i plant will be pretty tall for cover for the birds. My question is how many acres to plant for say 10 birds. i have read they will run in the field while you are hunting them...never hunted them so any info would be good.thanks -ew
alabamabronco
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 am

What you need for your pheasants to survive is a place where they can eat and sleep all in the same area. So i would plant some wild grasses and then a small food plot of the above mentioned grain. Because the pheasants will not roosted in the grain fields so they will not stick around if they don't have a place to sleep. And to how many acres, that is totally up to you. But i would probably plant 4 or more acres of wild grasses and so on for your food plot. Hope this helps.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby alabamabronco » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:54 pm

well i am planting in the morning....hope to make good place for wuail and phesants.
alabamabronco
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:38 pm

this might be too late to help you, but heres what i have to say: you definatly need good cover for the birds to roost in and "hide", and enough food so that they wont leave or die out due to a lack thereof.
if your planning to make this a 1 time hunting trip and kill everything the 1st time out, you dont need a great big field of grass, or food for that matter. however, if you plan to just kill a bird or two every now and then, with some hen's in the group for breeding, then you will want a large area that they can hide from you in and make it a more natural type situation. i hope that helps.. if not, let me know what your planning on (long term or kill quick) and i'll try to be more specific.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Return to Upland Game