Green Bay west shore - crowded for No. Zone opener?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Green Bay west shore - crowded for No. Zone opener?

Postby WIUPgamer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:33 pm

Can anyone tell me how crowded the west shore of Green Bay usually is for the North Zone opener. We are looking at hunting someplace between Longtail Point and just south of Pensaukee. I’ve always spent the opener in the U.P. in the past so I’m not used to this noon start and have no idea when I should be on post to get a descent spot. Where we hunted in the U.P. guys were on the water as early as 2AM for the 1/2hr before sunrise opener. What time do people start arriving at the landings?…. when do they secure their shoreline/weed bed ‘real estate’. Does anyone know how crowded the landing in Suamico gets & when? …or the one in Pensaukee? We've done some scouting and have several places in mind.

If you’ve hunted there in the past please give me some idea what time I should try to be at my proposed hunting spot. I promise if I get there before you because of information you gave me, and I’m in your favorite spot, I will either give you the spot and move on or you can hunt with us – your choice.

Thanks!
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:16 am

Sorry, clueless on that area! Good luck on the hunt and have fun with the SKYBUSTERS! I hunt the small lakes in northern Wisconsin for the Teal and Woodies. No pressure, and lots of birds! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubba1 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:59 am

My advice: Don't go. I tried it last year, we got out there at 7:00 to claim our spot. Already taken. We moved down and found another spot that was open. Saw some birds, but everyone was shooting all afternoon, I believe the term is sky busting (See other threads). To me wasn't worth it. Unless you are going out into open water, that maybe another story, but anywhere along Long Tail, is nuts.

Now if you wait two weeks, it seems alot of people quit hunting and the number of hunters drops to a reasonable level.

I have hunted with a guide out on the tip, he says he gets there around midnight to claim his spot, but heard he isn't guiding any more.

I have never been up by Pensaukee, would be more than willing to go, later in the season, if your looking for a hunting partner.

Also make sure you are legal. DNR warden walks the beach alot. I got check twice last year. Great guy to talk with, but he has a job to do.

Good luck where ever you go.

Bubba1
bubba1
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:38 am

Thanks for the info bubba1! That's kind of what I thought too. I was thinking about going out Friday after work and spending the night in the boat. But I'm starting to get to old for that. Not that I'm old.....well its just not really worht the hassel.

I'd rather go someplace less crowded but we haven't really found anyplace that looks very good for the north zone. We are planing on hitting the landing around 5am. I think we are headed somewhere north of Long Tail Point itself though so maybe it will get a little better the further north we go.

Midnight eh? Hmmmm Maybe I will have to suck it up and go out Friday after work. That means I'd have to pack extra dog food and :spam: though. I guess it would give me another story tell 'round the campfire. lol

If anyone else knows more about what to expect north of Longtail Point I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks!
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby bubba1 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:05 pm

For what it's worth: me, the dog, the boy and wife (order of importants when it come to hunting) spent most of the afternoon out on long tail. Must have been a good laugh for all the people in the power cruiser seeing us in my 16 scratched up Lund. Saw a few (20) Mallards and had to be over to a 500 Meganser. On our way back, stopped by the sanctuary, not alot of ducks in there either, maybe 30
bubba1
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting