Fox and Coyote bait.

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Fox and Coyote bait.

Postby don taylor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 am

Whats the best? I saw a huge, bright red fox run from its den and I want it. I have some old leghold traps for coyotes and others used for coons. which ones? I'd guess they have 3.5 inch and 6 inch jaws when opened. How close would you set up near the den? How many should I set and how far apart? I've found their tracks on mounds and on logs were I guess they get up high to gain a view of their surroundings. They seem to always leave tracks on one imparticular. What about setting one unbaited on top?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Why don't you just shoot it? Just curious :huh:
cjg
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Because i'd rather goose and duck hunt and let the trap do the waiting around. I can go back and check the traps at night and I don't have to waste daylight sitting in the woods for a inedible dog.

Oh and fox hunting season is closing in 3 days but trapping season goes for a while.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Just asking, sometimes if they are in the area, a good call and the right conditions, it's over with in a few minutes.
cjg
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Really? I'll give it a shot. I can make a good squeal on my predator call. If I waste my time I'm blaming you! If i get him, I get all the credit. j/k.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Depends a lot on if they have been called and shot at before. Dusk or dawn usually best, no wind, but like any hunting you never know.
cjg
hunter

Postby big37dog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:41 am

Shooting may be a better idea.
Catching foxes with traps can be tough.Not as simple as dropping steel.

Winter adds a whole new element as snow and ice will freeze things up.

If you are hell bent on catching versus shooting, try snares.Much more functional in winter.

If your duck and goose hunting , try starting a gut pile near the den.Not too close maybe a few hundred yards.Set it up where you can snipe him from a couple hundred yards.

If you like the snare idea you can set snares on trails leading to the bait pile. if snaring versus shooting put baitpile in the woods versus the open for shooting.

Wait him out , if its cold enough he will be there.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry
DH Lawrence
big37dog
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Some years I save all my carcasses, feathers and all in 5 gallon buckets, fill over them with water when it gets cold and once it freezes you have a big duckcicle. Set them inside so you can get them out of the bucket and put them out in your favorite spot, they will come by to chew on them, but can't lug them off. Come spring everything will be gone feathers and all.
cjg
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum