Missed more than hit

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Missed more than hit

Postby RBwaterfowler 2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm a sure-shot jump shooting, ducks, quail & pheasant.

Otherwise, I'm missing way more ducks than I hit.

Practice...okay. :yes:

But, how do I know "what" I'm doing wrong when practicing clays, whether hand thrown, trap, 5-stand, etc...?

Shooting coach my only option? $$$$
RBwaterfowler 2
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Most shooter's would be glad to help you. At our public skeet range, If you were shooting with four other guy's, missed a target and asked "was I behind that one?", you would probably get more help than you really wanted. Just keep in mind: Free coaching might be worth exactly what you paid for it.

After that, other than taking lessons from a professional, practice as often as you can. Good luck :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby augerin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Like RedGun said, go to your local clay target range and practice, practice, practice. Just be careful, shooting clay targets in the off season leads to new shotguns, reloading, etc. It just goes on and on. Your not having a problem jumpshooting ducks because you don't have time to think about it, instead of the long incomer that looks soo easy you can't miss, but it happens.

If you want instruction alot of members at local gun clubs will be very helpful--maybe to helpful--because most shooters want you to do well, and come back again. Here are some pro's in your area:

MIKE BORG COLVILLI (831) 422-6864
BILL HARDRATH DES MOINES (206) 227-9426
MIKE MUSGA KENT (253) 569-6828
JEFF VAN DEN TOP MT VERNON (360) 422-8820

I don't know where you are but these are some clubs:

16176 BREMERTON TRAP & SKEET CLUB PORT ORCHARD, WA

16177 LYNDEN SHOTGUN CLUB LYNDEN, WA

16181 SEATTLE SKEET & TRAP CLUB RAVENSDALE, WA

16182 SPOKANE GUN CLUB GREENACRES, WA

16180 SPORTSMENS CLUB INC MCCHORD AFB, WA

16174 WASHINGTON SKEET SHOOTING ASSOCIATION MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, WA

Look-up the NSSA/NSCA web site for more info. If it's dvd's your looking for Todd Bender has a good one, Gil and Vicki Ash as well, thier is so much info out there. Look on you-tube for skeet or sporting clays shooting and practice.

Hope this helps , Tom
augerin
hunter

Postby RBwaterfowler 2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:24 pm

We are not too far from Evergreen Sportmens club south of Olympia, WA...Big place.

I remember learning how to play golf as a young person, so many well meaning people "helping" with each his own ideas, notions, philosophies.

Yes, REDGUN has made some extremely useful suggestions in regards to DVDs to view and some geometry/trig. descriptions. My friends and I have much to learn and work on.

Now to buy ammo. :rolleyes:

More ideas and suggestions welcome! Thanks.
RBwaterfowler 2
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:24 pm

RBwaterfowler 2 wrote:
Yes, REDGUN has made some extremely useful suggestions in regards to DVDs to view and some geometry/trig. descriptions. My friends and I have much to learn and work on.

Now to buy ammo. :rolleyes:

More ideas and suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Somehow I don't think you'll have time to calculate cosines and sines of angles when hunting :biggrin: But I will tell you to follow through the target!!!!
devildog28
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Devildog is totally correct. Most people tend to overthink targets on a clays course. The problem is they see the bird presented at each stand before calling for it themselves and have time to analyze the presentation...then, instead of reacting to the target and instinctually mounting and swinging on it they overthink the shot. With long incomers especially the tendancy is to mount the gun too early and by the time the target is in range or in a good position to shoot you are actually aiming versus pointing and swinging...resulting in little to no follow through and a clean miss.

A good way to practice is to watch the presentation of each bird at the stand (so you'll know where to look for the targer) then have the trapper pull whichever bird he wants to when you call for it. That way you will have to find the bird, react, mount, swing and shoot it (typically with much better fundamentals than if you watched the bird come out of the trap). Just act like you are hunting where you cannot move until the bird is in range, then go theough the motions of a deliberate mount, swing and shoot- you might be surprised at your success.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:06 pm

One of the 1st things you should do is put a few shots on the
clubs pattering board at 25 yards.................

to see where the patterns are hitting ................

and if your stock is fitting right.

One day with the clubs "Pro" to check you and your gun out
is well woth the cost, since they will usually watch you shoot a box of shells and tell you how to improve your shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Missed more than hit

Postby JimG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Shoot skeet until you consistantly shoot around 20/25. Once you are averaging 20, your swings/leads on incoming and crossing birds (like you see duck hunting over dekes) becomes more automatic. Get in 2 rounds per week and you'll see a huge improvement next year.
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby RBwaterfowler 2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm

We've been throwing clays out in the forest, but still not consistantly hitting. Skeet seems more intimidating than trap at the club too...perhaps we should try it though.
RBwaterfowler 2
hunter

Postby augerin » Fri May 01, 2009 5:25 am

There's nothing wrong with throwing clays out in the forest ,but if you want to be more consistent, shooting skeet will help. Sounds like all you need to do is work on the basics. Look on u-tube for Todd Bender, This guy is a AAA shooter and has made alot of instructional videos that cover shotgun basics and skeet shooting. The part I like the best is his use of an eye-cam, looking strait down the barrel, you can see the lead in relation to the barrel. Being able to visualize target lead is a great help. Then you can move onto sporting clays. Tom
augerin
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 am

RBwaterfowler 2 wrote:We've been throwing clays out in the forest, but still not consistantly hitting. Skeet seems more intimidating than trap at the club too...perhaps we should try it though.

Just practice "skeet" type targets in the forest. Instead of standing 5-10 feet to the side of your target thrower, scoot 30 feet over, then 50-60 feet over and so on. This would be good practice for the different angles provided by a skeet field.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby JimG » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 am

Skeet seems more intimidating

"Oooh, what if I miss, these guys are going to laugh at me" Get over it. They're not. If anything you'll get lots of free coaching. They were you once. Every newbie starts out in the 10-14 range but as you figure out the mechanics your ratio gets up to the upper teens or 20. Yeah, lots of guys shoot pretty O/U's, but most of the time I bring my dirt covered, slightly rusty SX2 duck gun with the black plastic stock and leave the Citori home. Shooting "out in the forest" is fun, but that's "Station 7 low house" repeated over and over again.....the easiest shot on the field. Station 8 looks hard but it's not. Stations 3,4,5 are the toughies, but don't appear to be. Until you can remember the order of the shots, just sign in 3rd or 4th on the squad sheet.

Just do it.

Jim
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 03, 2009 6:20 am

I have found that a lot of shooters find it hard to Change what they are doing to find out what the issue is, By that I mean that if you are missing but keep shooting with the same lead, same barrel to target alignment and same gun hold you can expect to keep missing the same way. But habits are hard to break and once you have established a pattern it is hard to change. You need to force yourself to basically shoot different. If your lead feels right then go a bit farther or a bit less and shoot because if it feels rught and you have been missing it is aparently not "right". Also the target / barrel alignment / gun fit makes a big difference. With some guns I have shot the target has to appear to be directly in line with the beads, on others I have to have the target sitting on top of the bead and still others the target has to apear to be 6" to 8" above the bead to score good hits. Then you have clothing, If you hunt with a parka and shoot skeet with a "T" shirt you might have to make some adjustments to your point of aim.

as stated above, have a spotter behind you when you shoot and call shots for you, Make sure that they know what they are doing too. You can not always count on seeing the wad behind a target as meaning you shot behind it. Wads are slower than the shot and they curve.

Are you stopping your swing? Do you use the sustained lead or the pull thru lead?

Good luck, there are plenty of good Helpers out there.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Take'em Now » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:17 am

I am a NSCA Certified instructor, State of Illinois certified, youth / woman instructor, and also a wing shooting instructor. I would help but a little to far for me.

Check with your state conservation, Illinois offers youth and woman clinics. The norm for these clinics is one hour of classroom (safety mostly), lunch, then we break the groups into 4 students per one instructor. 4 hours of instruction (State & NSCA instructors) with 28ga shout guns and ammo. We work on stands, mounting, eye dominoes, and four different target presentations. Most of the clinics are free!

The state also offers a wingshooting clinic. This is more for people that have shot before, and also for beginners (mostly men) these clinics run about $30.00 per shooter. You bring your own gun and ammo. (No lunch) and a quick 30-minute safety talk. We break the groups into 4 shooters per instructor. We set up a sporting clays course (normally 12- 15 presentation) then each group will shoot the course for about 4 hours.

For the price you cannot beat this. 4 hours with an instructor on a sporting clays course, for less then a round of sporting clays.

This a great program, for a state that looks down at gun owners. So check with your state to see if they offer any thing like Illinois does
Take'em Now
hunter

Postby lunatic » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Try this first before you spend lots of $$ on shooting instructions and money at the range. See if your shotgun FITS you. Here is a link to shotgun world, that show how to test for shotgun fit.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... easurement
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Return to Target Shooting