setting decoys

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

setting decoys

Postby green head2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:56 pm

I have a question for yall I bought a old fiberglass glastron boat this year Gutted it put in 4 swivel seats 40hp jhonson OB A electric trolling motor New grass blind built boxes for dekes shells guns ect.. put in a propane heater and a built in coleman stove I bought this boat because it will be more stable on bigger deeper water I hope I was swamped several times last year in my 16ft war eagle And my buddies flipped one time These lakes are wide open lots of wind and big waves Now for my question Any good Ideas for setting decoys and making them stay where I put them when the water is over 80ft deep Last year it was a big hassle And it was my first year trying to hunt in water that deep When the wind was blowing hard and the waves were high the dekes would out run the boat Just wondering if any of yall had some ideas Thanks
green head2
hunter

Postby honer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:17 pm

for water that deep you need to string your decoys together and then keep them attached to your boat. kind of like a long line of decoys on a jerk cord. use two strings of decoys paralele to each other alittle bit like runway lights. the only trouble is keeping them from tangling up while they are stored.
honer
State Moderator

Postby green head2 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:48 am

Thanks That is what I did last year But like you said The tangles can be extremly difficult Nothing like the sun coming up and decoys facing upside down wrong side up I was hoping there might be a better way I have seen those stings with the clips on them I think they call them spreaders I thought of trying them Thanks again
green head2
hunter

Postby FlatCoat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:12 am

Cool setup,

I have seen 8/0 trolling clips used, the advantage being you can unclip the decoy and roll the cord around a spindel, the disadvantage is its a bugger when its a cold morning trying to close the clips, but it does allow for changing up your strings alot easier
FlatCoat
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:31 am

Thanks flatcoat Im going to experiment this weekend
green head2
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting