qustion for coyote hunters

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

qustion for coyote hunters

Postby hudson river drake » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm

i had a question on what to do when you call a coyote in and never have the chance to take a shot then he goes back in the thick stuff behind what you should do continue calling, wait for him to come back out, or what? also if i should call what sound to use? thanks for the info
hudson river drake
hunter

re: coyote question

Postby goose hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Usually in this instance assuming the coyote didn't spot you or didn't like the set-up, you should be able to just squeek him in. It might be with a little $6.00 mouse squeeker or just a squeek from your lips. that will usually get them interested and possibly come back. Also to build a little volume in the squeek I put my hands around my mouth or some hunters put their lips to their hands, either way works. For further reference if a dog comes in on a slow trot, pick out an opening where you can shoot him and just whistle to the dog when he gets to the opening. he'll more than likely lift his head and look back and forth, giving you the oportunity for the shot. Also another popular way to stop a dog is a simple bark of your mouth. I hope this helps. Good hunting!
Coyotes-32
Gray fox- 17
Red Fox-15
Ringtail-3
Kit Fox-25
Bobcat-23
Mt. Lion-2 (Season Limit)
goose hunter
hunter

Postby hudson river drake » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 pm

ok thanks i just tried using the same call that he came to the coyote challange next time ill try that or just shot as soon as i see them bc it wasnt far at all
hudson river drake
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 pm

To the mouse squaker thing take the back part of your hand and start making kissing noises like ur kissing ur hand on the bakc of it, its sound like a mouse sqeaking and it amplifies the sound, Also thats when a shotgun comesi n handy when u get that thick stuff keep watching, sometime coyortey will move back into the thick stuff to wat and watch they also will when a coyote or a fox is approaching so keep your eyes open
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 pm

ive noticed that excited calling can regain their interest dosent work every time though
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum