Duck Hunting Forum banner

Welding aluminum hull?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Jay Jolicoeur 
#1 ·
Well, I guess I've been winching the front of my jon boat down onto the trailer too tight, as the front roller has cause the hull to dent and crack. I'll post pics later... Can the crack be welded shut? I've heard differing opinions on welding aluminum... I'd think that welding would be a more durable fix than marine epoxy. Whats yalls thoughts?

#4 ·
I'm just finishing going to school for welding. Don't let anyone but a professional weld that boat. If there is a gap, then they will probably have to have a plate to weld behind it to try to fill it in. The edges of the aluminium will burn away very easily with very little heat. You may want to get a hold of the people that you bought the boat from and see if they have anyone they use or can recommend. Or call the manufacturer. If you get ahold of someone yourself ask about their certifications. They should have a bunch for alum. or don't let them work on your boat. Or you can see about getting ahold of someone in the American Welding Society www.aws.org to have them recommend someone in your area. While they are working on it anyway i would have them reinforce it so it doesn't happen again.

#5 ·
A friend of mine purchased an aluminium fishing boat a while back for like $200. Takes it to the local lake and plops it in and all the seams leaked. he has been patching them with JB Waterweld I think he said. Could give that a try. Very easy to use and not to expensive.

JB Waterweld: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/jbw/jbw8277.htm

#7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I called up to Cabelas here in Fort Worth to see who they'd recommend for welding a hull. They referred me to a small local shop nearby. I'll probably be taking the boat over tomorrow. On the phone, the guy at the shop made it sound like its no biggie, which is good. I'll let yall know how it goes. :mrgreen:

#8 ·
I got an xpress boat thats about five years old and it started leaking in a few places this summer where welds cracked. Took it to a local welding shop and he welded 4 cracks in under an hour for 50 bucks. cant beat that

#9 ·
smackaduck said:
I got an xpress boat thats about five years old and it started leaking in a few places this summer where welds cracked. Took it to a local welding shop and he welded 4 cracks in under an hour for 50 bucks. cant beat that
Yeah, alot of welding shops charge by the hour. A while back I had some steel welded and it took about an hour, and it cost me $45. I'm expecting to pay about the same for this too.

#10 ·
I just got my boat back today, I had eight holes and an aluminum plate welded to the back of my boat, it cost me $28, not a bad deal, for fuure referance, don't mount a transducer to the bottom of a boat, drilling holes in a boat is not a good idea, the guy I bought my boat from, did this and then he put bondo over them to cover them up. he did a good job, but I just didn't trust bondo surmurged in water.

#11 ·
I own a welding shop up here in B.C., Canada. You need a high frequency tig machine to "tig" weld the boat. It's probably to thin to weld with a wire feed unit. As for shop rates most reputable welding shops should have a half hour minimum so don't get sucked into the full 1 hour b.s.. Rates will vary alot so phone around. Welding it is the ONLY way to properly fix it. My 2 bits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.