help

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

help

Postby shanetheduckkilla » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:38 pm

what are some calls that i should learn and what do you say into them to produce the sounds
shanetheduckkilla
hunter

Postby winchesterx2 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:40 am

Buck Gardner and Phil Robertson have some real good demonstations on that topic. Phil goes into great detail. Try to locate these videos and good luck cause your family will try to kill you but thats what it'll take to get the practice you'll need. carry your call with you and practice constantly. If you can listen to some real ducks on a pond.
Delat waterfowl member, Father to the future of hunting and church member.
winchesterx2
hunter

Postby OU » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:18 pm

Keith Allen's CD is the ticket! You can find it here: http://www.pureduck.com/instruct.htm

It covers the basics and where to start. This video will teach you the vocalizations used to get the basic quacks.

I think a good starter call is a DR-85. It's a great hunting call to boot. Been many a duck killed with on of these calls.
Fowl Language Duck Calls:
The Call Ducks Swear By.

Git R' Done
OU
hunter

Postby BLUE DUCK » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:21 pm

The single best word I have found to say into a duck call to get a basic quack is the word (WHACK). I am assuming that you already have your air control down pat because without that it doesnt matter what you say you wont be able to make a decent quack. The best duck call to start out on PERIOD is the Haydel DR-85. I watched instructional videos and listened to the CDs and you really have to listen to several to get an full perspective. I recommend duck commander's instructional CD and Haydels CD. ONE WORD OF ADVICE NEVER BLOW (TEN) INTO A CALL IT DOES NOT SOUND RIGHT. You can not get a proper quack out of (TEN) so just leave that alone. If you dont learn your basic quack YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BLOW A HEN MALLARD CALL PROPERLY. Learn your quack by blowing (whack) into the call then speed that up and you will have your series. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:38 pm

If you are learning to call, definately get a VHS or DVD along with the call. Looking at how you hold and minipulate your hands is crucial, especially for goose calling. It is much easier to learn watching a tape then just hearing how to do it.

If you have calls already, try out these guys out. This is a non profit conservation org and was told by contacts in MN that they have a good instruction tape for learning to call. Ask them about it if you are interested. Sorry but I am not sure of the cost, so just ask them.

info@mnwaterfowlassociation.org

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum