New to forum and duck hunting

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New to forum and duck hunting

Postby dbohunts » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:45 pm

This will be my first full season of duck hunting. I started last year by jump shooting a couple of ponds on my deer lease and I am hooked. Went on a guided hunt at the outer banks, that was pretty cool too. I hunted from a layout boat for buffleheads and got a shot or two a some bluebills.
Anyway my question was about good chokes for a remington 870. Last year I used a factory modified and I was wondering if something like the pattern master or comp n' choke would be better?
I tried a couple of different loads and kent faststeel 3" #3 patterned well. Would I see improved results with a higher end choke? Also can anyone recommend a good choke and shell combo for this gun, maybe to eliminate some choices and expense in patterning all these different loads.(especially hevishot).
Thanks for the help,

Ryan
dbohunts
hunter

chokes

Postby Windknot » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:09 pm

I shoot straight improved cylinder with all steel loads and have great success.
Windknot
hunter

Postby diverduck » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 am

Let the birds decoy and it should not matter what you shoot.
diverduck
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:23 pm

I'd say leave in the Mod. choke, get some #4's and go w/ that. Maybe get some #1's or 2's for a accasional goose or swan.
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting