What's in your vise?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

What's in your vise?

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 pm

Well I finally sat back down at the vise tonight, been since spring. Too long, but its good to be back prepping for summer.
I've been working on a variation of Barr's Meatwhistle, it kills on bass in the early part of the season. I need to tie more nymph patterns and caddis too. Any way, here is the results. So who's tying and what's on your to do list?

Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

just some simple steelhead stuff glo-bugs estaz eggs and wollys when your in steelhead country you dont have to wait till summer Image
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 pm

floating redneck wrote:just some simple steelhead stuff glo-bugs estaz eggs and wollys when your in steelhead country you dont have to wait till summer Image

Too true, I never could wrap my brain around year round fishing having grown up in MN - but it is a plus when youve got flies to tie!
-Erik

Oh and estaz eggs, you ever trie the glue eggs? They are pretty popular up this way, while not a purist method. I llove cold water, but realistically, I spend more days on warm than anything.
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby backcast » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:54 am

My ignorant saltwater self is wondering why you tie with those extremely off set hook?
backcast
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:42 am

i ain't tying now but after spring i'll have my stuff up here so i can. I'm thinking i'll research what stoneflies/salmonflies are out here so i can come up with a few patterns to test out when the time is right. i came up with a great calibeatis pattern a few years back that i slayed with in Oregon until the river flooded. soome caddis are in order too.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:06 pm

I just got a vise today and made a wooley booger (actually two, but I broke the thread on one :oops: ) and some other thing I forgot the name of. They came out pretty good IMO.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 pm

backcast wrote:My ignorant saltwater self is wondering why you tie with those extremely off set hook?

Sorry for the delay. Don't tell any purists, but thats not a traditional fly. It's actually a jig hook as the design is similar to that of a jig and pig. I love casting a dry fly upstream to a rising trout, but that's not always in the cards, so in fly tying I appreciate a little different approach. Creativity.
No more odd than a popper really, it does what it's supposed to do - be fished like a jig.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Re: What's in your vise?

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 pm

I buy bare jigs and tie 'em up for crappie and bass ... they work well on a heavy flyrod if you want to dredge the bottom of a pool with authority. Specially big black stonefly looking ones in those deep pools where you never get down with even 3 or 4 twist ons.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Fishing