Bisque of Duck and Cauliflower

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Bisque of Duck and Cauliflower

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Here's a great gourmet soup that is simply outstanding!! If you don't like cauliflower... try it. When it's cooked in this manner, smothered down, it looses all of it's "bite" and smoothes out to compliment the duck beautifully. I make this soup every year! :thumbsup: I substitute 2 mallards or other large ducks or 3 medium ducks like widgeons for the long island duck, and don't crisp the skin on wild ducks...too strong a flavor with the fat.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/soups/meat09.htm
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 am

What.. nobody like cauliflower? It's good I promise.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Bisque of Duck and Cauliflower

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm making a fresh batch this week... :drool: cleaning out the last remaining birds to make room for the fresh ones this season... I'll post pics. of the finished soup when I cook it. :thumbsup: I'll be bringing some to the camp for sure come opening week!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm

personally i love cauliflower, just didnt see this until today...which is a shame cause i cooked pretty much all my breasts so that my wife wouldnt have to prepare any meat for the baby this weak, just microwave and cut.(1.5 years old and will eat 3-5 breasts in a sitting if you let her)

but yeah after this weekend i think his one is gonna get tried.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:17 pm

If John Folse took the time to write it down, I would definitely try it.

After you sent me to his website for that Jamabalaya recipe, I ordered one of his cook books and have been using that sucker. I don't have any duck right now, season hasn't started in this part of Missouri yet, but I will most likely try it in the upcoming weeks.

Actually, if you can get ahold of some long island ducks, those suckers are good. I would rather eat Long Island Duck than chicken at this point.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:50 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:If John Folse took the time to write it down, I would definitely try it.

After you sent me to his website for that Jamabalaya recipe, I ordered one of his cook books and have been using that sucker. I don't have any duck right now, season hasn't started in this part of Missouri yet, but I will most likely try it in the upcoming weeks.

Actually, if you can get ahold of some long island ducks, those suckers are good. I would rather eat Long Island Duck than chicken at this point.

I would not steer you wrong when it comes to food or or money...you know that by now Ground swatter.. :thumbsup: glad you got the cook book. He has one out that is strictly game and fish...and it is a tome....a good 1 1/2" thick and it's 16"X 14"...every recipie I have tried I liked or when I cooked it, I thought of ways to modify it so it would be to my pallet.... :thumbsup: -can't think of the name of that new one though...but it's got him holding an alligator on his shoulder....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:If John Folse took the time to write it down, I would definitely try it.

I would not steer you wrong when it comes to food or or money...you know that by now Ground swatter.. :thumbsup: glad you got the cook book. He has one out that is strictly game and fish...and it is a tome....a good 1 1/2" thick and it's 16"X 14"...every recipie I have tried I liked or when I cooked it, I thought of ways to modify it so it would be to my pallet.... :thumbsup: -can't think of the name of that new one though...but it's got him holding an alligator on his shoulder....

I saw that one on Amazon and thought about buying it. I think its called After the Hunt.

The one I bought was the Encyclopedia to Cajun and Creole Cuisine. Its my type of cook book with a great section on the history of Louisiana along with more specific history behind some of the dishes. It has a wild game section as well, but I bought the more general cook book so I could go after the more Classic Cajun dishes, not to say wild game isn't classic cajun.

Everything I've read about After The Hunt says its a similar style of cookbook with great recipes and history as well. Probably next on my list of cookbooks to buy.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Yea, The encyclopedia is a great cookbook...and one I refer to often...lots of awesome dishes...I have not tried them all but I'm working on it....the blackberry Bar-B-Que sauce pork is awesome!!! so are the ribs....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:13 am

Indaswamp wrote:Yea, The encyclopedia is a great cookbook...and one I refer to often...lots of awesome dishes...I have not tried them all but I'm working on it....the blackberry Bar-B-Que sauce pork is awesome!!! so are the ribs....

Haven't tried those yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to them eventually. The jambalaya and crawfish etouffe I've cooked more times than anything else.

One thing about all the recipes is the same, you better plan it out. I make sure to have all my ingredients, diced, measured, and ready to go before I start. Most of those recipes you can't just stop mid way and cut something up if needed.

Another cookbook I go to often, again more stuff I grew up with, is Texas Cowboy Kitchen.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ia7OfFlt0JoC&pg=PA109&lpg=PA109&dq=texas+cowboy+kitchen+chicken+and+dumplings&source=bl&ots=AUsWqqU64B&sig=84bvGPsEfB2V2JAt5VY0-mdJEGM&hl=en&ei=TuvySpO8LoKSMY2X9OgF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

The chicken and dumplings recipe is simply awesome.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Just finished a dinner party with the soup...it was outstanding!! Made a double batch and will have some with us come opening week at the duck camp.... :thumbsup: definitely try it when you get a some birds GS.... :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:26 pm

bump...
I'm planning on making a big pot soon, thought some might want to give it a try...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Bump...time to make a big pot of soup to finish cleaning out the freezer... :yes: :thumbsup:
One day someone on this forum will get brave enough to try this soup. I'm betting it'll be Jehler.... :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:35 am

Can't believe no one has tried this yet...bump...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggie2011 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 pm

That looks damn good Inda. I'm gonna have to try that one of these weekends when I've got a free day to spend in the kitchen.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
aggie2011
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:01 pm

aggie2011 wrote:That looks damn good Inda. I'm gonna have to try that one of these weekends when I've got a free day to spend in the kitchen.

:thumbsup: I always smoke the ducks with Pecan chips for 2 hours before making the stock. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Never happened without pictures.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Never happened without pictures.

:lol3: Doubt many here think I'm bluffing.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BrentP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Can't believe no one has tried this yet...bump...

I will give it a try in the next week or so. I just made a batch of stock. I
BrentP
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Never happened without pictures.

:lol3: Doubt many here think I'm bluffing.

Indaswamp wrote:I'm making a fresh batch this week... :drool: cleaning out the last remaining birds to make room for the fresh ones this season... I'll post pics. of the finished soup when I cook it. :thumbsup: I'll be bringing some to the camp for sure come opening week!!

You said you were not me :hammer:
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:29 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:You said you were not me :hammer:

:lol3: :lol3: That post was in 2009! I took the pics on my phone and my phone crapped out before I could post em. :mad:
Next batch I make- Pics. are comin! :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Bump for Redbeard... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for the link to that site. I will be spending more than a couple of hours looking at the recipes the using them...
The wife and I have enjoyed Louisiana cooking for well, decades. Even the food at our wedding was cajun...
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 pm

play by play pictures as I cooked up this years batch of Duck and Cauliflower Soup:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=207564&start=0#p1862407

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Grossy23 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

You guys simply must try this . Yes it takes awhile . Yes it's fantastic . Yes it's worth the wait . If you like to cook , you'll love it . Thanks Swamp !
Grossy23
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Bump for Lead Farmer...almost time for our annual batch of soup!!! :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking