Ducks Flaring

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 pm

A friend and I were hunting a corn field the other day and it seemed like every time the birds flew directly over top they would flare. This was only my third time hunting a corn field but a couple days before the birds worked perfectly. I know this happens a lot when hunting over something other than a field but I would think it would be difficult for birds to see you directly over head in a corn field. It seems like they could see the blinds sticking up much easier as they are circling rather than over head. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any input
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id


Postby Timbo4 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Maybe it isn't the blinds. It could be something they can't pick up on until they get directly over top of you...like a spent shot shell or something. Not sure...you sure they weren't just turning to circle around for another look?
-Tim
User avatar
Timbo4
hunter
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Postby idduckhntr2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:25 pm

Timbo4 wrote:Maybe it isn't the blinds. It could be something they can't pick up on until they get directly over top of you...like a spent shot shell or something. Not sure...you sure they weren't just turning to circle around for another look?


Ya I'm sure, they wouldn't come back after they came over top. I got out several times to see if something was out of place but I couldn't find anything. We'd pick up shells every time after we shot so I don't think that was the problem.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Postby Timbo4 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Not sure what the deal is. How many guys are in on the hunt? We find sometimes we have the blinds to close together, so it just looks too suspicious...all those blobs in the field so close together. We find spreading them further apart helps.

Hard to say what they are picking up on. Hmmmm?
-Tim
User avatar
Timbo4
hunter
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Postby idduckhntr2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 am

Timbo4 wrote:Not sure what the deal is. How many guys are in on the hunt? We find sometimes we have the blinds to close together, so it just looks too suspicious...all those blobs in the field so close together. We find spreading them further apart helps.

Hard to say what they are picking up on. Hmmmm?


It was just me and a friend of mine and we were a decent distance apart but maybe not far enough.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:07 am

all i ever hunt is fields and from what i hear from you and what ive known there is 2 things you could try different. 1. if you can see the birds flare... thats why. hide your face down in your layout and dont watch them. just watch out in the shooting hole. 2. put your blinds almost touching. you could try digging them in when its warm out. but we used to have a 3 1/2 foot tall blind that we killed 200 ducks out of a few years ago. next time just try not to watch them.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois

Postby idduckhntr2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:50 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:all i ever hunt is fields and from what i hear from you and what ive known there is 2 things you could try different. 1. if you can see the birds flare... thats why. hide your face down in your layout and dont watch them. just watch out in the shooting hole. 2. put your blinds almost touching. you could try digging them in when its warm out. but we used to have a 3 1/2 foot tall blind that we killed 200 ducks out of a few years ago. next time just try not to watch them.


I keep my head inside the blind until we go up to shoot so I don't think thats the problem. There is a mesh part on the blind that keeps my face hidden but also allows me to see the birds. So you think moving the blinds closer together is better than spreading them out. I've heard both ways but don't know which is the best.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

try both!
User avatar
DuckSlyer16
hunter
 
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: Over there

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

if the ground is soft dig them in 8 inches to a foot down. if not make sure your buddy isnt pie facing them. if they are coming right into you. try to side shoot them. that usually seem to work set up cross ways to them coming in. that way they arent looking at you the whole time and sometimes that gives you the better shot
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby Dustin07 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am

a guide i hunted with in Mound City this year told me he doesn't like layout blinds when hunting fields because of their size. He said he puts on his cornstalk camo, paints his face, lies in the corn and covers his body with stocks and whatno. blends into the land better.
User avatar
Dustin07
hunter
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: wetside of washington

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Dustin07 wrote:a guide i hunted with in Mound City this year told me he doesn't like layout blinds when hunting fields because of their size. He said he puts on his cornstalk camo, paints his face, lies in the corn and covers his body with stocks and whatno. blends into the land better.


That would probably work really well but I think the problem was that the corn was cut a little over a foot tall except where we had set up. We set about in the same spot the previous week and by the time we were done had flattened most of the corn around us. So I think the problem was that our blinds looked out of place with how flat the corn was around us. This is the only thing I can think of.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby Dustin07 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 pm

do you have full control over the field during the duration of the season? depending on how cheap your hay is out there you could try scattering some and covering yourself in that too. I dont' know... might seem out of place, or may blend nicely.
User avatar
Dustin07
hunter
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: wetside of washington

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:10 am

we knock down a section of stalks in front of where our layouts are. We always keep the layouts in the stalks and put the decoys in the knocked down area. they always seem to want to be in the knocked down stuff. works awesome for geese too.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Dustin07 wrote:do you have full control over the field during the duration of the season? depending on how cheap your hay is out there you could try scattering some and covering yourself in that too. I dont' know... might seem out of place, or may blend nicely.


Ya its not our field but we can hunt there when ever. I would have to ask the land owner about the hay but I'm sure he would be alright with it.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:44 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:we knock down a section of stalks in front of where our layouts are. We always keep the layouts in the stalks and put the decoys in the knocked down area. they always seem to want to be in the knocked down stuff. works awesome for geese too.


Ya, we did that the first time we went out their and it worked perfect. I don't know why we did do it agian cause we didn't have any groups flare that day.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby berettaguy17 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:40 am

did you keep the blinds in the standing stalks. the only thing i found bad about layouts is that the birds will flare if you dont have them covered up really really good. next time you could also try setting up for a cross shot about 20 yards away from where the ducks will be dropping in.
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby Dustin07 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't know anything about these guys as far as their guide service goes, but they have a good section on setting up your decoy spread in relation to your blinds:

http://www.northsoundwaterfowl.com/tips8/duckdecoy.asp
User avatar
Dustin07
hunter
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: wetside of washington

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:22 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:did you keep the blinds in the standing stalks. the only thing i found bad about layouts is that the birds will flare if you dont have them covered up really really good. next time you could also try setting up for a cross shot about 20 yards away from where the ducks will be dropping in.


No I think that was our problem. We were covered up really well but we were in the flattened corn so I think we looked out of place.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 am

yeah next time stay in the standing stalks and make sure the blinds go with the rows
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: ottawa, illinois

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:yeah next time stay in the standing stalks and make sure the blinds go with the rows


Ya we will but that was also a problem because we like to have them decoying straight in so when the wind doesn't cooperate, I guess we will either have to keep our blinds in the rows and just shoot them at a different angle or not have are blinds go with the rows. It will also probably depend on how far into the season we are. Early season we should be able to get away with it but later in the season we'll probably just have to take the shots we get.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby JDiPerrio » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 pm

It also could have been the shadow of your dekes. We had that happen to us in the early morning of the hunt for geese.
2010 totals
Geese- 70
Mallards-24
Pintail-1
Teal-8
Woodies-9
Ringneck-1
User avatar
JDiPerrio
hunter
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: Holden, MA

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:16 pm

JDiPerrio wrote:It also could have been the shadow of your dekes. We had that happen to us in the early morning of the hunt for geese.

That surprises me, I would think shadows would be normal for them. Maybe not, but this was mid-afternoon so that shouldn't have been a problem.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 am

I would try a different spot in the field, dont move, make sure every part of your layout is covered or has corn shucks placed in the loops.
Also, these might be the same ducks that you shot a previously and they remember.
We rarely hunt the same spots, due to the fact that the ducks remember.
User avatar
Dolsmi
hunter
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:02 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby idduckhntr2 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Dolsmi wrote:I would try a different spot in the field, dont move, make sure every part of your layout is covered or has corn shucks placed in the loops.
Also, these might be the same ducks that you shot a previously and they remember.
We rarely hunt the same spots, due to the fact that the ducks remember.



That very easily could have been the problem. This was only our second time in the field but it was only a couple days after the first hunt and we set up in almost the exact same spot. And the first time we hammered them and I don't think they flared once so the more I think about it that could be the problem. That and the fact that we were in the flattened corn we had used previously.
idduckhntr2
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: boise,id

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby REM1100 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:12 pm

If you were in that field before and the ducks were in that spot, then there are two reasons possibly.
They remember the gauntlet
Or they remember having been in that spot before for awhile and are comming overhead to see if there is any corn left...they see the spot picked clean and vamoose outta there.
on the X in Saskatchewan
User avatar
REM1100
Provincial Moderator
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Western Canada

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest