Ducks Flaring

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: Ducks Flaring

Postby legband » Sat May 23, 2009 6:37 am

The only layout blind i use is a powerhunter its low profile and has a cover that comes down over your head. It totally conseals you. Alot of the other blinds cover your body but your head will stick out so when the birds come over head the guys will move their heads like bobble heads looking to see where the birds are and give themselves away. Not sure if that was your problem or not but ive seen that happen MANY times,and i know for a fact thats y they would flare. Sometimes if its sunny the plastic decoys will shine also some brands more so than others. One thing i do to help that problem is i get a can of flat brown krylon spray paint and hold the can far enough away from the decoy that it doesnt change the color but it lightly mists the decoy so they dont shine. I do that with goose decoys duck decoys etc. I would recommend misting your layout blind as well with the krylon the materail most of them are made of has a natural shiny finish.
If their feet arent down you didnt fool em
legband
hunter

Postby idduckhntr2 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 pm

legband wrote:The only layout blind i use is a powerhunter its low profile and has a cover that comes down over your head. It totally conseals you. Alot of the other blinds cover your body but your head will stick out so when the birds come over head the guys will move their heads like bobble heads looking to see where the birds are and give themselves away. Not sure if that was your problem or not but ive seen that happen MANY times,and i know for a fact thats y they would flare. Sometimes if its sunny the plastic decoys will shine also some brands more so than others. One thing i do to help that problem is i get a can of flat brown krylon spray paint and hold the can far enough away from the decoy that it doesnt change the color but it lightly mists the decoy so they dont shine. I do that with goose decoys duck decoys etc. I would recommend misting your layout blind as well with the krylon the materail most of them are made of has a natural shiny finish.

I know the blinds weren't our problem. They are avery finishers and we make sure to keep our heads inside. They aren't extremely low profile but they could be worse. We also had them concealed fairly well aside from having them lay perpendicular to the corn rows which I think may have been one of our problems. That and the fact the we there two days earlier. Also we spay on a krylon coating like you mentions so thats not the problem. the ducks would come in really low from behind then flare once they got directly over if that helps at all
idduckhntr2
hunter

Postby legband » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 am

There are so many factors and so many things it could be could be the wind, decoys, blinds , your set up, etc..best advice i can give ya is soon as they start to flare when they are right over top of ya is to lay to em and make a bloody mess. There are certain days especially calm days where birds wont decoy worth a crap no matter what you do. Every day of hunting is different than the next. Hunters that are consistently successfull find ways to overcome flaring birds or decoy shy birds. The key is after you get the birds to flare figure out why. The reason why most likely will not be the same each day
If their feet arent down you didnt fool em
legband
hunter

Postby harryhyde » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:54 pm

This thread may make a good case for the goose chairs. I've only used them once but they sure worked....and draw birds from a long ways out.
Starbucks Coffee Pro-Staff
harryhyde
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 am

When a flock of ducks gets over you , especially without a blind, and even using natural cover ,they can see everything, the slightest movement,...and you are most vulnerable when they are :yes:

It sounds like maybe you aren't taking shots before they get over you while they are in shotgun range. Maybe you are waiting for them to decoy..As you prolly know, field hunting is a different animal than a water blind because most ducks want to lite in water :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:yeah next time stay in the standing stalks and make sure the blinds go with the rows

:ditto: This is really important. We have also noticed birds flaring on sunny days, they are seeing the shadow of the blinds. Also try to mud your blind (again). They may have seen some sheen on it.
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Field Duck Hunting