junior in Highschool wanting to major in wildlife management

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Re: junior in Highschool wanting to major in wildlife management

Postby texan68 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 am

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:im a wildlife management major at oklahoma state and you better learn how to study real quick haha im just being honest, chem 1 chem 2 are ball busters along with the upper level ecology courses... ecology of natural resources ect. but if you buckle down it shouldnt be a problem. if your any kind of outdoors man the classes will come to be extremely interesting!

+1

I was a bio major at TX A&M Corpus Christi before going with criminal justice. The basic core science classes are designed to weed out the weak and non-commited...chem 1 & 2, bio, micro, etc, etc. will eat you alive. If you are not able to get A's in HS then....well...something has got to change, either your commitment level or your future goals....not to be mean, but it's the truth.
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby griggsbroNB » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

That's cool that you want to pursue that. My younger brother majors in Wildlife/ Wetland Conservation at Ole Miss. Its a great school. He got alright grades but tried hard. Check it out. Plus the girls down there are goooood loking.
You ain't gotta call me Mr, Mr!
All about the 3, BB, BB

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Can we be friends.
griggsbroNB
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby whitetailchaser » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 pm

whats up yall. im a senior at indian land high in south carolina and want to get my degree in wildlife management at mississippi state. any of yall been? did you like it? and if i cant get a job as a warden like i want to what other jobs are out there for me in that department.
whitetailchaser
Newb

Postby mcclinj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

What is it you'd like to do, When u say warden, do you mean as in wildlife police officer, or as in biologist working for the Fish & Game Dept?

I'm looking into MSU for grad school. I'm pretty impressed so far. Good Luck !
mcclinj
hunter

Postby nathanael920 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:36 pm

I did the whole wildlife management degree for awhile at a private school here in oklahoma. Finally got a job this last summer up in colorado tho as a fly fishing guide. I found out guiding and have a fly shop is what i really want! I have since changed my degree over to business but if wildlife is what you want go for it man. But i will say this. If your a duck hunter go fisheries. You have a lot more time in the season to hunt as to the other way around when most your work will be during hunting season... just a thought.
nathanael920
hunter

Postby troutbum43 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

I graduated with my degree in Wildlife Management and Conservation from Humboldt State University. You might want to think about looking at the out of state exchange programs and thinking about trying to go to one of the top schools in the field. The exchange programs can give you in-state tuition prices. I now work the USFWS Refuge system, and as others have said, a good school where you can network coupled with summer jobs are the keys to success. IMHO the top schools for Wildlife to think about are #1 Humboldt State University (of course), followed by in no particular order University of Wisconsin Steven's Point, Texas A&M, University of Idaho, Colorado State, Montana State, UC Davis and Oklahoma. If you look at the conclave results the last 20 years (conclave is a wildlife academic competition I highly suggest you look into) you can see who dominates who on a regular basis. :yes: Yes that would be Humboldt State pretty much every year we don't host.

http://www.humboldt.edu/wildlife/

Student Conclaves: Adds work but one of the best experiences you can have
http://joomla.wildlife.org/index.php?id ... &task=view

Job wise: Number one resource for you to get summer jobs.
http://wfsc.tamu.edu/jobboard/

Nearly everyone posts their jobs on this site all over the country. Good luck, I chose this career path as a junior in high school and have never looked back. Be ready to bust your balls in school, because you will EARN this Bachelor of Science degree. Its a rigorous training program because you are a scientist first, and need to learn how to look at wildlife and its management through that lens. Its going to be tough, you will be taking 2 labs at once plus two to three regular classes and your general ed classes. Best of luck to you, and now is the time to be thinking about where you will be going, it will make your senior year much easier on ya!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Gilles » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 pm

You get your job by WHO you know, and you keep it by WHAT you know!
Happy Hunting
Gilles
hunter

Previous

Return to Conservation/Biology