Animals out of season

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Animals out of season

Postby swamprat27 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 pm

I have a question about trapping a nontarget out of season animal. What if you have a set that could catch multiple kinds of animals. And you were to catch a furbearing animal other than a cat or dog that you legaly cant trap. I guess this referring mostly to conibear were the animal cant just be released.

Thanks for the insight
swamprat27
Newb

Postby goose hunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 pm

I would probably just call the local game warden or wildlife personnel and let them deal with the situation the way they'd like to see it handled.
Coyotes-32
Gray fox- 17
Red Fox-15
Ringtail-3
Kit Fox-25
Bobcat-23
Mt. Lion-2 (Season Limit)
goose hunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:09 pm

If you set your traps right (right pan tension, right set, etc.) non target animals almost will be unexistant. If you get a dog or cat leave it in the woods. I'd talk to your Game Warden if you're worried about nontarget fur bearers though. Ask him and he'll let you know.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 am

As already stated contact your local DNR and they will work it through with you.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:If you set your traps right (right pan tension, right set, etc.) non target animals almost will be unexistant. If you get a dog or cat leave it in the woods. I'd talk to your Game Warden if you're worried about nontarget fur bearers though. Ask him and he'll let you know.
leave a dog or cat in the woods? what trappers course did you take?if someone caught one of my pets and left it in the woods because they did not have the nads to release them , usually unharmed in a leghold,i think they better steer clear of me for a long time hopefully that was just poor wording if a pet was caught in a conibere and was dead it is your responsibility to contact the owner
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 pm

floating redneck wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:If you set your traps right (right pan tension, right set, etc.) non target animals almost will be unexistant. If you get a dog or cat leave it in the woods. I'd talk to your Game Warden if you're worried about nontarget fur bearers though. Ask him and he'll let you know.
leave a dog or cat in the woods? what trappers course did you take?if someone caught one of my pets and left it in the woods because they did not have the nads to release them , usually unharmed in a leghold,i think they better steer clear of me for a long time hopefully that was just poor wording if a pet was caught in a conibere and was dead it is your responsibility to contact the owner

Although I don't agree with leaving a pet that was caught in a conibear trap and is dead just laying there in the woods I also know that too many times the media and animal rights groups all go after the trapper and make it out that he is the one at fault. The law in most places states that unless a dog is being used for the purpose of hunting or working live stock it must be under the immediate supervision and control of its owner or handler. It is against the law to let your dog run at large. As for cats they are classed as being ferrel if they are just left to roam loose in the wild or any where other than your own yard. Most places have by-laws to this effect. If I caught a dog in a snare or conibear trap and it was dead the first thing I would do is take pictures and call my area DNR and get them to come out to the site before the animal was removed from the trap this is to cover my butt as to the legality of my set and the illegal aspect of the pet at large. Then I would let the DNR look after contacting the pets owner to give them the bad news and ticket(s). I know some will get their feathers ruffled by this but I have one thing to say - take responsibility for your actions and your pets.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Varminter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 pm

floating redneck wrote:if a pet was caught in a conibere and was dead it is your responsibility to contact the owner

It's a pet owner's responsibility to keep their pets on their own property.
Varminter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Varminter wrote:
floating redneck wrote:if a pet was caught in a conibere and was dead it is your responsibility to contact the owner

It's a pet owner's responsibility to keep their pets on their own property.
:dito: I've never caught a dog or cat, but with the way people are around here and all over the country you would get your butt sued off. DNR might say your were in the right, but that doesn't stop them from going to civil court. You weren't breaking the law by catching their pet, they were breaking it by letting their pet run free.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby floating redneck » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:16 am

just remember landowners also own pets i'm not trying to be a jerk on here but ive spent countless dollars looking for hound that had been caught and disposed of or shot by so called "hunters" that thought they were a threat to deer if you accidentally catch a retriever in the swamp would most of you guys feel the same way?just as a side note i caught my first muskrat when i was 8 yrs old and am now 30 ive caught exactly 2 non-target animals in that time and one was a wild animal, proper set location and construction can almost eliminate the problem
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

It's a little different if you are on someone elses land. I thought we were talking about on your own property or public land. I try not to use kill traps on land and if I were to catch someones pet and it had a collar it would be let loose. No collar it might get let go. For others land I would stick to footholds so you don't have to worry bout catching their stuff or nontarget animals. That way you can let them go no harm no foul.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum