USCG

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

USCG

Postby tonekruise » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:49 pm

any coasties out there? i leave for basics in a month. wondering if during my travels i'll get the chance to hunt at all. i sure as hell hope so
tonekruise
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 pm

LEWDOG is out of Virginia and he was prior Coast Guard back in the day. The hardest part about the hunting for military is having somewhere to keep your weapons when you are young. If you are living on base you will need to find someone to keep them for you. Otherwise, you will have all the opportunities available to anyone. Definitely gives you the opportunity to hunt in a lot of places you probably wouldn't have hunted otherwise. Just keep using this forum and whatever state forum where you get stationed and enjoy the hunts!
K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Coasties

Postby quackillz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

There is a handful of us on here. Sure you can hunt plenty of opportunities after you finish basic. I hunted while stationed at all of my units with the exception of Miami. From PA, AK, MI, and now NC.

IMO you ahould try AK if you can get it from bootcamp.

Good Luck and enjoy
My lab is smarter than your honor student
quackillz
hunter

Postby tonekruise » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 am

thats great. i'm gettin pretty excited. how long have you been in for?
tonekruise
hunter

Postby quackillz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 pm

tonekruise wrote:thats great. i'm gettin pretty excited. how long have you been in for?

A lil over 16 yrs........where in PA are you at? What do you plan on doing (rate) in the CG?
quackillz
hunter

Postby tonekruise » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

oh wow you gonna retire in 4 more years or stay in longer. i'm like 20 minutes south of I-80 about 45 mins from penn state if that means anything to ya hah. i'm hoping for BM and gettin small boat station. but i'm sure that won't happen for a few years. what rate are you
tonekruise
hunter

Postby blineman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Hey killz, is it true ya got to be 5 foot 9 inches to get in the USCG?

So if your boat sinks you can walk into shore.

Dont get mad its just a joke we had when I was in the Navy. :thumbsup:
Honkers 2

A Dumb Ass is someone that tries something, that will not work, change nothing, and expect differnt results.
blineman
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm

blineman wrote:Hey killz, is it true ya got to be 5 foot 9 inches to get in the USCG?

So if your boat sinks you can walk into shore.

Dont get mad its just a joke we had when I was in the Navy. :thumbsup:

Man, and I was just going to post a comment about how I thought this was the MILITARY Forum and wondering what some Coasties were doing in here. You one upped me blineman. That was cold.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby blineman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Naw, wasent that cold, was it? :huh:

I had a buddy that join the USCG so he wouldnt go to Nam, it worked.

I have got to hand it to the CG guys and gals that work in Alaska , that is some serious crap up there. Hats off to ya. :yes:
Honkers 2

A Dumb Ass is someone that tries something, that will not work, change nothing, and expect differnt results.
blineman
hunter

Postby quackillz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 pm

good one guys.........I am actually 5 8 so no height requirement and just don't bash on coasties casue we are the ones that service........I mean protect your women when you are deployed.

J/K

Alaska was great to Fly SAR on especially during the crab season, I truely miss it
quackillz
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am

quackillz wrote:good one guys.........I am actually 5 8 so no height requirement and just don't bash on coasties casue we are the ones that service........I mean protect your women when you are deployed.

J/K

Alaska was great to Fly SAR on especially during the crab season, I truely miss it

My brother was in the Coast Guard in Virginia, he said when the carrier groups would pull out the CO would give them early liberty. :rofl: :rofl:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 am

quackillz wrote:don't bash on coasties casue we are the ones that service........I mean protect your women when you are deployed.

Oh, and I was a submariner so if you want to service MY wife just remember -you know why guys don't mind deploying on subs, the shape reminds them of their wives... round.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby tonekruise » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

any suggestions on what district i should put in for? i honestly don't have any prefrence. i'd like to eventually make it to small boat station so which district would give me the most oppurtunitys for that?
tonekruise
hunter

Postby quackillz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

[/quote]
Oh, and I was a submariner so if you want to service MY wife just remember -you know why guys don't mind deploying on subs, the shape reminds them of their wives... round.[/quote]

Thats just wrong.......funny, but wrong

Tone-try D7 at least it is warm there or go for D9
quackillz
hunter

Postby tonekruise » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 pm

thanks for the input
tonekruise
hunter

Postby blineman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 pm

You can have any of mine you want killz, you aint gonna like it. :crazy:
Honkers 2

blineman
hunter

Re: USCG

Postby duckhntr42 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 pm

i got alaska out of bootcamp and i LOVED it. i would go back in a heartbeat. its a different CG up there. im stuck in maine now but transfering this spring. TONS of duck hunting to do up here, especially sea ducks. thats one thing i love about the CG, you'll always be close to water, thus close to waterfowl.
2010 totals

mallards-4
pintails- 1 (hen)
wood ducks- 3
scoters- 10
eiders- 6
oldsquaw- 4
buffleheads- 6
black ducks- 2
merganser- 1
duckhntr42
hunter

Re: USCG

Postby Dogman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I Asked for Alaska,the Great Lakes,West coast or Maine.
I got New London CT. :no:
Oh well,BM rating will get you to most stations and units,Lots of Bosn mates on ships and small boats.Don't be suprised if you find yourself on a sea going unit first.
I was an MK,I found that once you got to be good at your job they didn't want you to leave.My transfer dream sheets were "sent back" to be "redone" over the course of 8 months several times.Finally they told me I no longer had enough time left in my enlistment for a transfer.Nice. :rolleyes:

If I stayed in I would have tried to get the Great Lakes.I had a buddy stationed there and he loved it.
Alaska is another I would have wanted,if you hunt,fish or just love the outdoors I can't see not liking Alaska.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Military Forum