Feild hunting in Kansas

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Feild hunting in Kansas

Postby Mallyard » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:26 pm

Ya I was wondering if anyone has heard of people feild hunting ducks in kansas? They fly into feilds in southdakota so wy not in kansas... If the might be landing in feilds in KS where should I look? Wheat, corn, beans, milow???

Just pull the trigger and hope ya hit one...

Mallyard
Mallyard

Postby Mr. Mallard » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:51 pm

yeah i also have been wondering how to hunt fields in kansas ... i have only been hunting for about 2 years and really want to learn how to hunt the fields, it sounds really productive to me... if anyone wants to give me any tips/places to hunt/suggestions PLEASE email me

rthomas06@stasaints.net

"Shoot em in da lips"
Mr. Mallard

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:46 pm

yeah ducks do land in fields in kansas ... around here i most hunt corn because it is easyest to hind in and is productive... but if i see bean and weat fields being use i hunt them other than those 3 though i have hunted other only a few times... as for to bring them in if you have a spread of gesse with a few ducks fullbodys aroudn the edges you will bring in every duck within sight. i have had 5 doz. gesse deks out and no ducks and have green heads so close that when i shot one it hit my hunting buddy (laying 5 yards to the side of me) in the head and about knocked him out. when i only have gesse deks out i just try to get there attention with a duck call and as soon as they see the spred and start looking it over go to a gosse call... if they start to angle away get back on the duck...

works for all of my hunting buddies and me
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:01 am

Basically any of the "plains" states/provinces are the same. Wide open country and fields compared to east of the MS river. You can hunt them the same as field hunting geese. Lay out blinds work best from my experience. And having decoys and a bunch of them especially in late season is a must IMO. Scouting is the key, find a field where they are feeding, secure permission and have a great shoot.

Generally they prefer corn, especially when cold out as it is high octane energy food for them. In Canada and northern US barley is preferred of the small grains - it is easier to digest - especially the young birds.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckPlayer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:37 am

Get all your dekes out the more the better this is one situation I would recomend putting out everything you got plus borrow some more :smile: I like to find a feild where the ducks are flying past or already going to,scout, scout, scout. If you can find a place where two feilds come togather say a bean feild and a corn feild (not really hard to find in Ne and Ks.) thats where I would set up because the corn is cut higher from the ground than beans so you can build or set up your hide in the corn on the edge of the beans. The reason I do this is because the ducks and geese will see your dekes from the air easier in the bean feild than in the corn. I set up all the FB and BF dekes I can get my hands on in the beans and set up all my water dekes shells and so forth in the corn. The birds will see all the dekes from up high but when they get low they'll be eyeballin the dekes in the beanfeild alot closer the the ones in the corn. Then all you gotta do is sit up and start hammerin GOOD LUCK!!
P.S. It's alot of work settin up all them decoys so make it a big shoot and take your friends so they can carry dekes for you hahaha.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 pm

love taht last part player but sometimes it is the best way to do it :getdown: :mrgreen: :getdown: :salude: :yes: :toofunny: :yes: :laughing:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ken h » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:11 pm

I would rather shoot ducks out of fields than over water. They seem to decoy way easier. Have shot them out of corn, beans and milo. We set up our goose spread as usual and will put ducks decoys and robos at the front of the spread upwind of the geese. Need a remote on the robo as it seems to flair geese but the ducks will eat it up. Like somebody said before, real close shots (10 yds or less) and be ready as it seems they will just dump in and not circle. Most the time we will just cluck on the goose calls and rarely use a duck call. Might have to try both to see what they want.
ken h
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:41 pm

It seems like the best field hunting would be the fields full of geese I drive by while in-town Wichita shopping... :pissed: :thumbsdown: :laughing:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting