what good coyote bait ?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

what good coyote bait ?

Postby duckkilller7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:39 pm

just wondering what a good mix, or what would be good for baitin coyotes?? thanks
shawn,
duckkilller7
hunter

Postby swamprat27 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Place 2 inches of glycerine into a clean gallon jar. Glycerine, which acts as a preservative and antifreeze, makes the lure last longer in wet weather.
Add equal parts of sun-rendered fish oil and rotten eggs (see recipe below) to within 1 inch of the shoulder of the jar.
To this base mixture, add:
20 drops of pure skunk essence
3 heaping tablespoons of beaver castor
3 teaspoons of tonquin musk.
Stir well. Place a lid loosely on the jar so that gas can escape. Put the jar in a cool dark place for six to eight weeks. From time to time shake well. At first the ingredients will separate, but after a few weeks they will bond together. The end product is rather thick, similar to a thin paste.

hope this helps
swamprat27
Newb

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 am

Around here I just use dog food. I live in a real citified area so they're used to stealing food from fido.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Save all your duck carcasses in a bucket, put a piece of rope in with an end sticking out, when it gets cold out fill the bucket with water, when your ready to put it out let it thaw enough to get the block out of the bucket and hang it low in a tree.
They can't drag it off and will keep coming to it untill gone.
cjg
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:13 pm

From what i have noticed that brings in the coyotes is fish. When i got fishing i freeze a bucket of them and throw out a big ice chunk for a few days and i will get results that night most of the time.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby Varminter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Never done much baiting... We've put a bucket of deer guts out before to get them conditioned to coming into the area:

Dog or cat food will attract plenty of skunks around here. I'll have to give that a shot in the field some time. Fish, too... never tried that.
Varminter
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum