Coyote

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Coyote

Postby zagster11 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Well I just got into hunting coyotes and i have a call and am ready to head out. But i want to obviously sell the pelts to make some money and need to know a little more about what to do with them. i know how to skin thats not an issue. I want to know how to preserve them, salt etc. how long i can keep em out. do i have to stretch and if so with a board or just what. also how you ship them out i.e. how you pack them up to have them not be ruined. Lastly i have been looking for a website to sell them to and have found only a few which would buy them for 22$ a pop at the most. maybe thats what the market is right now but ive heard of people selling them for 50$ a pop and was wondering if anyone had a place that you could sell it to for that much.

thanks any info would be helpful.
It's finally here...
zagster11
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Zag, check out the sticky at the top of the fourm called "Need to know how to handle furs?" It's a great link and will tell you everything you need to know. From what way to skin them how to stretch, etc. One thing DO NOT USE SALT. Leave the hide green, just stretch and let dry after you flesh them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Buick_C » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:59 pm

I have a feeling that you don't know how, or have the equipment to properly flesh the hides. I would suggest either salting them right away to prevent slippage or get them wet and put them in an airtight bag and freeze immidiatley. I know a lot of people that will do buy them this way instead. Try the taxidermy.net forum for sale/wanted section and you may be able to get better prices if it is a quality pelt. Goodluck.
"Maybe instead of buying more guns you should enjoy the ones you already have!" -Hank Hill
Buick_C
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

You can do it that way to, but I've everyone that's ever told me said not to get them wet. Just case it fur out and roll it up nose to tail.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Norsky » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:21 am

I would contact the buyer you plan to sell to. The market today is very diverse and certain buyers want fur put up a certain way. Put them up wrong and you wasted your time and fur.
Norsky
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum