Bow Season

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, 870shooter, KCDuckMaster, SPatrick

Bow Season

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Any one been out yet? Any deer taken, what have you seen?
I haven't been out yet, just lot's of 3-D target shooting. I've got a new Scent Blocker suit on the way and want to wait for it. Plus it's still pretty warm. Lot's of good deer around the food plots and fields, but I'm still waiting for the "right" time for me.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:44 am

It's amazing, since I got into duck hunting a couple years back, I just don't get the itch like I used to for bow and rifle hunting. I still love it, but when you plan your days off work and school according to hunting season, I'd rather safe them for some good days on the marsh.

I'll probably get out though in the next week or two. I'll let you know how it goes.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm planning on trying out the opening day of geese this weekend, but I'm grabbing my bow while I'm home. That way maybe some weekend when I'm stuck at school with nothing to do, I can grab my bow and get in a quick hunt
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:42 pm

Ok guys, what are the deer doing in your area? What are the bucks up to that you've been seeing? I've got butt loads of bucks on film, but at night. Haven't seen any racked bucks in daylight hours yet. I was covered up with does and yearlings this morning, 15 by 9 a.m. I've heard some say that their bucks are still in groups and some have said they've seen some feeling out rack to rack matches. Anyone else?
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby hooper » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:51 am

Last Saturday I was messing with a couple of does that popped out of a corn field about 70 yards away from my stand. Of course my eyes were fixed on them in hopes that they would walk down to me for a shot. Eventually they went the other way over the hill. As I turned my head staright back to the north, I see a huge white rear end and a BIG rack walking away from me. He had to have gone right under me to get to where he was. By this time there was no shot as he was walking away. I was so ticked! It was pretty moist that morning so all the deer were moving around pretty silent. I did give him a couple small grunts to try and get him to turn and check it out, but he was not interested. Once I was done with him, I look left again and there was another doe stand next to me about 15 yds away. She found her way to the back of the truck. My buddy saw several bucks. Some in groups and a couple singles.
hooper
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:39 pm

Good job man! We ALL need to kill some does. I'll knock a few off in a couple of days. Does anyone else but me buy extra doe only bow tags so that you can save the buck tags?
huntmq1
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:43 am

Oh ya, I always get the extra tags
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JPgreenhead » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:36 pm

i went quite a bit but have only seen one deer...which i missed...i hit a damn limb and the arrow went right over his back...it was a nice 8 point if u were wandering..o well ill have many more chances

Jordan
JPgreenhead
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:34 pm

I'm heading out next weekend for my first real serious weekend of deer hunting this year.

I've got to be honest, that since I got my dogs, bird hunting has just taken a higher priority. This time of the year, it's getting the final touches on the dogs for the upcoming season. Oh well, it's not too bad of a trade off in my opinion.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby hooper » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:13 am

got a buck last night. This dude was old! Rack was nasty, but this deer was well over 200 pounds. After I hit him he ran and expired right at the base of the tree my buddy was in, so it was not a hard track.
hooper
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:33 am

Good to hear hooper! I had an eight pointer walk about 15 yards from my stand, and I drew back on him, but decided to let him walk. His rack was just inside his ears, and that is my typical way of judging a shooter or not. We've been letting little bucks walk for about 10 years now on the farm that I hunt and it is amazing how it helps.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting