How do I lube a baitcaster?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

How do I lube a baitcaster?

Postby devildog28 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Haven't taken my caster out since last summer and noticed the spool didn't turn free and loose. I even had the "reel brake" backed all the way out. Do I have to take the covers off the ends to oil it? I can post a couple picks of my model if needed.
devildog28
hunter

Re: How do I lube a baitcaster?

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 am

devildog28 wrote:Haven't taken my caster out since last summer and noticed the spool didn't turn free and loose. I even had the "reel brake" backed all the way out. Do I have to take the covers off the ends to oil it? I can post a couple picks of my model if needed.
Depends on the model how you should lube it. Usually, you only need to get in on one side, not both. Best thing to do is go to the manufacturers website though. They will give you the best step by steps.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:27 pm

google baitcast reel maintenance and get some Inox lubricant. Use the Inox on your gun too. Doesn't gum up or wash off.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby redhead_2007 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 pm

It is pretty easy, i only use abu garcia but there all pretty close to the same as taking them apart. There should be 3-4 screws on the reel side to take off then the handle itself, but google should work fine.
redhead_2007
hunter

Return to Fishing