ESTUARY-your thoughts

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

ESTUARY-your thoughts

Postby Tonover » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 am

Hello All,
I'm considering purchacing an estuary from Dave Clark of CanvasBacks. It's a beauiful boat and not cheap. Just looking for some input from some estuary owners before I pull the trigger and order one for next season. What do you think? Thank you!

Tonover
Tonover
hunter

Postby liono9 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:54 am

I was in the same situation as you were a month back, i did some crazy research and also decided on the Estuary. I saw David Clark in NJ and saw his boat , spoke to him and ordered right there. The guy is a Talented, he is building a boat right now and posting everydays progress on www.duckboats.net, its great to see all that goes into building an Estuary. The boat is sea worthy in case you plan to do bay's/divers. People swear by Estuary , my advice
GO FOR IT. I'll have mine for next season. Good luckImage
some pic's , Dave and his boat.
liono9
hunter

Postby putumdown870 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Prob one of the best boxes made but a little too heavy if you hunt very skinny water
putumdown870
hunter

sneak boxes

Postby lionelrita » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:41 pm

hey it looks nice but dollar for dollar and pound for pound i'd take my armstrong widgeon over it any day same size only weighs
a hundred lbs. it planes and will handle 2 grown men and a dog
did i mention it planes off loaded to the gunnels with gear with only a 9.9

birdog64
lionelrita
hunter

Postby Tonover » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Hey Loinel,
I know what your saying, I have a 12' grumman from 1957, v hull that is light and planes off great with a 8 hp engine. Dave's boat is nice and I still want it. But I'm wondering about those day when I don't pay attention to the tides and I have to pull that 400lbs. plus estuary off the bay floor and drag it into the deep parts of the creek to get home, will I be able to do that by my lonesome self or wait 6 hrs for the tide to rise. I would love to see one in person(here in nj) so if anyone out there is will to show me they're boat I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have the time to drive to Dave shop in NY. I live in cental NJ. Thanks for the input fellas.

Tonover
Tonover
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Tonover wrote:Hey Loinel,
I know what your saying, I have a 12' grumman from 1957, v hull that is light and planes off great with a 8 hp engine. Dave's boat is nice and I still want it. But I'm wondering about those day when I don't pay attention to the tides and I have to pull that 400lbs. plus estuary off the bay floor and drag it into the deep parts of the creek to get home, will I be able to do that by my lonesome self or wait 6 hrs for the tide to rise. I would love to see one in person(here in nj) so if anyone out there is will to show me they're boat I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have the time to drive to Dave shop in NY. I live in cental NJ. Thanks for the input fellas.

Tonover

Yea, i live about 50 mins from you straight up 579, and mine is for sale, if you want to come check it out , let me know and i'll pm you my schedule
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JoeyO » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Thats a great boat from what I have been reading..

I might build one just like it :yes:
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Postby putumdown870 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 pm

your def not movin that thing in mud or sand by yourself if its high and dry.
putumdown870
hunter

boat

Postby lionelrita » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 pm

tonover,

i live in randolph n.j. willing to show you my sneak box and my cadillac. might leave you with more questions then answers but thats the only way to really learn whats right for you! in regards to the estuary it looks like a sound well built sneak box made of wood and fiberglass it weighs 450 lbs dry put in the water add 50 lbs
add decoys motor fuel tank saftey equipment and lunch you're tipping the scale close to 900 lbs now!!!! my little ass isn't moving it
do your self a favor google arthur armstrong widgeon. little advice
from someone that has been through 3 sneak boxes

birdog64[/u][/b]
lionelrita
hunter

Whats wrong with buying my boat?

Postby NeverFail » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Greg, You can buy my boat. You already hunted out of it. LOL I'll give you a good deal and a free hunt at the lake. LOL All you have to do is grass it up and your on your way. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Re: Whats wrong with buying my boat?

Postby rracioppi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:38 pm

NeverFail wrote:Greg, You can buy my boat. You already hunted out of it. LOL I'll give you a good deal and a free hunt at the lake. LOL All you have to do is grass it up and your on your way. Mark

I think you need to look at where you hunt, the estuary is made for a little bigger water than a creek, I have a perrine box and it ways about 200 lbs, easy to move but with a 2-3 foot chop and 20mph wind in the navesink it is a little hairy, I am getting an estuary also for bigger water, i also own an otter 2000 I use in small tidal creeks with an electric motor and it works great but I would not run it in the navesink, so no one is wrong just depends on your situation.
rracioppi
hunter

Postby Tonover » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm

No thanks Neverfail on the boat but I'll bring the bacon and eggs for next hunt, hope all is well and good luck with the boat sale.
Tonover
hunter

Postby Sako1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 pm

The Estuary is a well built box, no doubt. But there's no free lunch, it weighs 300lbs. Imagine dragging that up and down the sedges as the tide goes in and out? It's obviously made for the bigger water.

It really depends on the water you plan to hunt, and what you plan to bring. I really think the best all around box for NJ is the Fricke box or similar size. You can move it around on the sedges and cross some snotty water if you have to. You might catch a bit of salt spray, but you will be safe. You also have a bit of room for some comfort iitems. My $.02
Sako1
Newb

Postby Tonover » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:03 am

Hey Sako1,
Could you give me the #for Fickle. I would love to see his boats.
These boxes originated here in nj and I here about all these NJ boat builders but can't seem to find these talented indivduals. I looked at the widgeon from poke boats as suggested by Loionel. Cool boat and light 180 lbs. Well I'll keep looking and thanks for the input.

Tonover
Tonover
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:18 pm

You can reach Capt Bob Fricke at 609-296-9273 or(c)609-713-2498. He make a beautiful sneakbox nut put your order in now!
pvn6616
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:29 pm

I meant PUT your order in now... not "nut" your order...How about a Van Dyne Original fiberglass sneak box in mint condition, have original paperwork from 1962 - garage kept most of it's life. Any one interested PM me.
pvn6616
hunter

Postby Tonover » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Nice sneakboat pvn6616 ,

Any have any pics of Bob Frickle's boats?

Tonover
Tonover
hunter

Postby Basspond » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:06 pm

I have had three of Bob Fricke's boats and I've loved every one. The Estuary is a great boat, very well made, but as others have said it can get heavy for one person.
Basspond
hunter

Re: ESTUARY-your thoughts

Postby barngeatbayman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 am

check out www.kmtboats.com Very similar to estuary but it's all glass and lighter, cheaper. built by a local boat builder Marty Khristensen. Nice boat all around and considerably less than an Estuary
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Tonover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks for the info on Marty’s boat. Nice looking! It looks very similar to Bob Fricke’s boat. I have only seen a couple of sneak boats in person while hunting the jersey coast. It seems like a lot of these boat builders go to a show in Tuckerton sometime in Sept. I ’m going to wait until then so I can see all of them in one place. Does Marty bring his boats to the show? I know Bob Frick and David Clarks sneak boats will be there. I’m really in favor of Dave Clark’s estuary. It appears that the estuary’s rear deck is more flat and sides don’t seem to roll down as much. I’m going only by the pictures. I spoke to Dave and he said that he can walk around on his rub rails and the boat is still stable. Not that I’m looking to dance on the deck but I like that it does not rock roll as much when getting in and out.
Tonover
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:51 am

yes he brings 2 boats to Tuckerton. If you call Marty he will let you sea trial his boats. It's almost 100lbs lighter than Dave's that becomes a big factor when stuck on a sandbar or on a mud flat. Dave's deck is wood Marty's is glass less maintenance and will last forever.
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Tonover » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 am

Marty will let you trial run his boat? Nice that's great. Where is he located in NJ? I sent him an e-mail. Dave offers a wood deck and glass deck. He also told me he can make his boat lighter. The quest for the sneak boat continues..... Thanks for the info BBMan.
Tonover
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm

email? you are better off calling him. He is located in Little Silver, Monmouth Cty
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Basspond » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Check out Marty's 'Highlander' box as well. I had an original Highlands sneakbox, but he builds them off the same molds. Nice boats, hide great, light, but not too light, and fast.
Basspond
hunter

Postby Tonover » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:58 pm

I checked out Marty's website but I didn't see a number just an email section. He shows two boats, one that plows and one that planes. I think its great that he lets you trial run his boat. Well I've beaten this subject to death and thanks again guys for all your input.
Tonover
hunter

Next

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting