How about a bio

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

How about a bio

Postby fun4jake » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:39 am

I though it could be nice to learn a little about each other since we are a small group in MT. Share what you are comfortable with but it would be nice to at least know what town you live in.

A little bout me.

Moved from Oregon last January and Live in Butte now. Have a wife and a 9month old boy named Devren. Love to hunt everything and this time of year its difficult. Hunt ducks or go chase an Elk Hmmmmm. Well why not do both. All of my experience duck hunting has been over water. Have a 5yr old lab that retrieves but thats about it. No push button bird dog here but he always gets the bird.
Last edited by fun4jake on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fun4jake
hunter

Re: How about a bio

Postby Fredito » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:09 pm

well- I aready know fun4jake, we moved to butte around the same time...i have been hunting ducks and geese for about 9 years...its about all I hunt for, I tried to get into deer but never really got into it...the majority of my duck and goose hunting is over fields along the yellowstone river...hope to get to know some other montana hunters on here
Fredito
hunter

Postby blunderbus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:58 pm

Hey Guys,
I was born and raised in Montana. I own an auto shop in Missoula and raise a 8 yo boy alone. I've hunted deer & elk my whole life but had to stop for a while due to the single dad status. A couple years ago I got into waterfowling cuz its alot easier to due with a kid in tow. It very quickly has become my favorite type of hunting. Just something about being on the water at the crack of dawn.
MONTANA BELONGS TO MONTANANS
ORANGE PAINT BELONGS TO CALIFORNIANS
blunderbus
Newb

Postby AnthonyG » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:39 pm

Been in Montana for 4 years now. I have been doing a lot of duck unting previously in Oregon Washington and in the rice fields of California. I have been getting into it a little more each year here but not many people seem to be into it as much as biggame hunting so i don't get out as often as i want. I owuld love to hit it hard this season though.
AnthonyG
Newb

Postby dukkilr6 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:54 pm

My old man has land on the bighorn with a bunch of guys. I'm a minnesota boy and the hunting sucks here. I'm lucky enough to hunt out there once or twice a year for ducks, geese, and phesants. Catch a few trout in the mean time. Montana is a hell of a state and you boys are very lucky to call it home. Hopefully someday I will do the same. Let me know how the hunting is. I hear the ducks are limited but the phesants are thick.

dukkilr6
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:52 pm

hey there its my first post but i am from Butte, lived there most of my life, now i spend the fall and winter in dillon and the summers in helena i am going to school at western to be a well i am not sure yet. I picked up duck hunting about 5 years ago. I hunt everything we can in our great state. I shot my elk first day and now have tones of time to duck hunt if anyone wants to shoot a few green heads drop a line :smile:
7grnhds
hunter

Postby Tightline » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:22 pm

First off I want to say thanks to jake for being our moderator :salude: !!!

I am a Montana native, born and raised on the Hi-Line mostly in the Havre area. I ended up in Bozeman after a year at Caroll College in Helena and have been here ever since. I live here in Bozeman with my wife, 5 parrots, and our lab Winnie.

I never hunted ducks untill 3 years ago (nobody in my family would eat them when I was growing up). I went with a buddy once because I hadn't had my shotgun out for about six years and now I'm an addict. I don't even bother buying any big game tags any more because I'd rather be in a blind.

I am lucky enough that one of my best friends baught a boat this year and lets me use it whenever I want. He wants to hunt as much as I do but he is self employed and just can't get away as often as I do. So as a result I basicly got myself a free boat :mrgreen: . That has opened alot of areas for me to hunt this year and I am very excited about it, because as all of us know....public acces for waterfowl hunting around these parts ain't so accessable any more if you don't have a boat.

If anybody is in the area and looking for someone to hunt with let me know. I plan on being out every Sat. and Sun. except the weekend of Christmas untill the end of the season.

Later,
Tight
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby marcbme » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:10 am

I'm a Helena native, but living in Missoula and going to UofM (wildlife biology).

Buddy of mine and I got into duck hunting about 3 years ago. And from day one, I was addicted. I don't even bother with big game anymore. You shoot more in one day, dont' have a 300lb+ animal to drag 5 miles back to the truck, and best of all, if you limit out, you can come back the next day!

This year, I've finally got all my gear and can hunt like a maniac until January. My wife has come to grips with the fact that she's a "duck widow" until January. My biggest problem is keeping focused enough to keep from failing my classes.

I've got a 4 year old, and I'm still working on momma to let me take him with me. (any suggestions?). I finally got my brother into it this year. I've told him that duck hunting isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important then that.

Always looking for a huntin' buddy, or maybe a stae wide hunt get-together at Canyon Ferry.

Also got my swan tag this year. Hoping to go to freeze out do nail it. :thumbsup:
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

mod

Postby fun4jake » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:24 am

Tightline, thanks for the ack of moderator. My name is Jeff Anderson but I use fun4jake because thats my dogs name "Jake" and he has a blast hunting. I took the mod position because we are growing in MT and no-one else stepped up and since I am a Admin and mod in another unrelated chat forum I figured I could just step up without much training. Anyway good to see you on board.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:46 pm

Hey everyone, my first post here. I was born and raised in Nebraska and started duck hunting about 8 years ago. Just graduated from the U. of NE at Kearney in May and moved to Missoula with my wife. She's a grad student and I am looking for work - and hunting until then. Been in Missoula about 6 weeks and still trying to get adjusted - hunting around here is much different than back in Nebraska, but look forward to it none-the-less. If anyone in the Missoula area is needing a hunting partner at anytime I would be interested - I look forward to meeting new people in the area.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:32 pm

I've been in missoula mt for about 6 years. Graduated from the U and decided to stay. I have been hunting ducks hard about 4 years. Have a great lab that was professionally trained. Just finished customizing my 14' duck boat. Looking forward to hunting more open water this year. I have only been out once so far this year and I got 2 geese and a merganser. I am about to be out of work for the season and I intend for the next few months to be a bloodbath.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby nemont » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:17 am

I have only posted here a few time been lurking for a while.

I guess I am the exception here. I live in Glasgow, Born and raised Montanan, Grew up on the HiLine and decided this is where I wanted to raise my kids. Started on waterfowl about 10 years ago (age 40 now) and have been addicted ever since. I enjoy upland and big game hunting also.

I have a wife and three kids ages 13, 11 and 8. They hunt with me alot and enjoy being in the field.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

update

Postby fun4jake » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:25 am

Great to hear from you guys. The Montana site is picking up a bit. Please continue posting and enjoying your stay here. If there is anything I can do here as a Moderator to help you, let me know.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby dukkilr6 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 pm

You can let me know when the mallards are thick on the bighorn :yes: No but honestly just general reports would be great.

Thanks

dukkilr[/quote]
dukkilr6
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Hey Fellas!
Well, my name is Em and I was born and raised in Butte. Now, I am a student at Western and live in Dillon. I also go home to Canyon Ferry every weekend with my boyfriend to see my baby, he's a 6 mo BLM named Kenai, or Keke. I am studying to be an elementary teacher, but I'm getting really interested in nursing. Anyhow, I started hunting big game when I was 12, gave up for a while to be a girlygirl, and started up again about four years ago. This is my first season with waterfowl, and I am totally stoked. I shot a greenhead on opening day, and I think that was a good omen. Then, the next day, I shot a spoonie and a big fat goose. I was so proud! I didn't take my dog, though, I thought it would be awfully chaotic for him the first day, his first time. I will get him out, soon, though, and he will rock! Anyhow, nice to meet ya's! Anytime you're around Clark Canyon or Canyon Ferry, let me or 7grnhds know, we could have a good time!
Have a good one, fellas.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

welcome

Postby fun4jake » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:59 am

Hi Em,
Great to have you on board. now you can keep a better eye on 7grnhds. :umm: I think that was great idea not to take your dog out on opening weekend. No reason to scare him or burn up a good day having to keep a good eye on him. Get him out now and let him hunt. Have to meet up with you guys some time for a hunt. I want to hunt canyon ferry some time and would like to hunt around dillon a bit.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:35 pm

I moved to MT 10 years ago to attend MSU in Bozeman from NH. I work as a fishery biologist in SW MT, based out of Dillon. I have hunted my whole life but have never found a place to equal MT. I have been in this area for a little over three years now and love it. The recreational opportunities in this state are basically unlimited and definitely unbelievable. I spend as much time as my family will permit traveling this great state hunting and fishing. I am currently training/hunting my new lab pup moose, who just turned 10 months old. He retrieved his 7th limit of puddle ducks on his birthday on Sunday. So we are both having a great time. I have to thank Jeff, aka fun4jake for turning me onto this site. It looks like a winner.
See ya in the field
Paul
phutch30
hunter

Re: Home in montana

Postby Get'em » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:49 am

Hey everyone I live in Manhattan and i have been duck hunting for almost 5 years I moved from Utah when i was 14 Now i am almost 18 i have a black lab named annie I mainly hunt on the Gallatian river and it is usually good when everything freezes hopefully looking to get to some new spots this year. Well drop a line sometime.
Tyler A.K.A Get'em :salude:
Get'em
hunter

Postby bobwix » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:10 pm

Hello everyone Iv'e been hunting ducks for about 3 years in the Park City area. I have 3 dogs all labs and like training them. There young and kind of wild but fun. I mostl'y hunt the rivers in the area. I like this site and that we can talk to people in our state and area. Bob
bobwix
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:19 am

Welcome Bob. Hope you enjoy the site. There is getting to be plenty of people on the Montana forum so there is a good amount of info going around.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Fredito » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:40 pm

Welcome Bob :salude:
Fredito
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:27 pm

:salude: i am game for a drink with bob
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:55 pm

Hey everybody,

I was born and raised in Kalispell, and have lived in Montana my whole life, I'm currently a senior at Flathead Highschool, and will be turning 18 in December. Me, my dad,and my bro were introduced to waterfowl hunting when I was 10 years old, (we were mainly big game hunters). Even though I wasn't old enough to shoot, I would still tag along with them, and watch with them as the humongous flights of mallards would infiltrated the valley before all the development came along, wich made for some incredible shooting. Ever since then I have been hooked, and now condiser myself a die hard waterfowl hunter. My bestfriends are die hard waterfowlers like me so we get quite a bit of hunting time dureing the year. We also take quite a bit of trips to the east side and down to the southern parts of Montana, when the migration is at its peak. I'm always looking for new places to hunt. Good luck to everybody this season :thumbsup:
K-Town
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:58 pm

Once again, welcome. Its good to have someone in your neck of the woods. We are slowly beginning to cover the entire state now. Less than a year ago there were about 3 people on the Montana site.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:39 pm

Hey Everyone

I moved to Butte about a year ago, after I got out of the Army. I'm now a Tech student studying Civil Engineering and raising my boy. I love MT and missed it alot while I was in the service.

Glad I found the site.

Davin Marceau
notceaubrite
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting